The curse of long life

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 06:32 am
@edgarblythe,
That is very sad.

So sad too how the prospect of a few material things when someone is ill can turn some people into total vulchers.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:53 am
My grandfather went after my uncle committed suicide. Less than 6 months apart. No decline, no loss of mind (except for an understandably profound depression) or body, just went to sleep one night, threw a clot, and died.
eoe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 10:00 am
@patiodog,
(I've shared this story before so please forgive the rerun...)

My father at 86, his body growing weak, refused to live with anyone else. And definitely didn't want to go into a nursing home. That was the ultimate insult to him. My brother kept him in his own place for as long as he could but eventually, on a Thursday evening, Daddy was moved to a facility. I got into town on Saturday, we spent the day together, he slipped into a coma early Sunday and was gone by Monday morning.

A family friend said it was a wonder we didn't find a note lying on his chest reading "I told you I didn't want to come here." I've always felt that he was in control until the end and checked out like that, so quickly, because he chose to.

I just want to be ready when the time comes. I hate the idea of railing against imminent death because, you're gonna lose that battle for one and two, it indicates to me that there's unfinished business. Regrets. Things that you wanted to do but didn't. And that's so damned sad. The very thing I'd like to avoid.

But I don't want to hang around to 90 and beyond and bury my stepkids and family and friends younger than me. I realize that we adapt to whatever situation but I don't want to be the last one standing and can't imagine what that must be like. I haven't found the nerve to ask my aunt about it.
mismi

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 10:45 am
@eoe,
No, no, no - if you could guarantee me I would be healthy and active and able to be of some use to someone - It might be bearable living past my spouse and children (Heaven forbid) but no guarantees. Nope...would like to go out with my boots on.
firefly

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 10:58 am
@mismi,
I think long life can be a curse when one is so infirm, or frail, or disabled, that they can no longer enjoy any meaningful quality of life, but medications and supportive care simply keep them going from day to day in a nursing home or in their own home with a caretaker. Particularly if one is mentally alert, it must be horrible to be imprisoned in one's body without the ability to see or hear well, or stand and walk, or feed oneself, or even to control incontinence.

Modern medicine is already able to extend lives so long that many people are left with something more like a vegetative existence rather than a life. Current ethical debates in medicine are now focusing on how much treatment should be given to an elderly patient, just to keep life going, regardless of the quality of that life.

So, more than life-weariness, or loss-weariness, one main curse of a long life might be to be stuck in a body which has essentially become useless. Or to suffer the ravages of dementia, so that the mind becomes useless, but the body goes on. The curse is to be left without any hope for a better tomorrow, and to live with a daily routine that provides no moments of pleasure, or satisfaction, or even serenity.

I can't imagine becoming life-weary. Life is just too stimulating to ever get bored or tired of it. I'd like to hang around forever, just to see how it all turns out in the end. But, that's providing I'm in the shape to be aware of it, and appreciate it, and even participate in it.

I think everyone, past a certain age, does become loss-weary. Apart from losing loved family members, I have already lost all of my close friends. That has been extremely difficult. With the death of each friend, I not only lost a treasured companion, I lost a part of myself, because I lost someone with whom I shared a history and memories, and a part of my life. Other friends and acquaintances have simply moved away, generally to be closer to their children. It is hard not to become more socially isolated as one ages, simply because of these inevitable losses. It is hard not to feel a constant sense of loss, or to think about those people who are now gone. I think most people accept this sense of loss as an inevitable part of their lives, particularly as they age, but, for some, it might be too overwhelming. And, the longer we live, the more people in our lives we will lose.

I hope I will not become so loss-weary that life will not seem worth continuing. I hope that some new people will continue to come into my life, as the old ones leave. I hope, that as time goes on, that my memories will continue to be more comforting than painful.

My own mother is 94, and in rather good health, both physically and cognitively/mentally. Other than some cardiac problems, and high blood pressure, she has no other major health issues. Until two years ago she worked part-time at a university, a place where she had been for about 47 years. I think being around young people so much of the time helped to keep her feeling and thinking young. Until a year and a half ago she drove her own car. After a series of extremely minor fender benders with her brand new car (not all of which were her fault), her insurance company doubled her rate and gave her such a hard time about renewing her policy that she finally, but reluctantly, gave up driving.

Leaving her job was very hard for her to do. All of her social contacts were at work and she has felt very lonely since she's retired. No matter how much I push her, she has no interest in going over to a senior citizen's center, even to just have some company on the days I work. And there aren't too many other options for her, in terms of meeting people or finding some pleasurable distraction, other than the senior center. And our local center happens to be exceptionally good, with a very diverse range of activities and an equally diverse range of participants. But, after spending only a few hours there one day, she decided that neither the activities nor the people were to her liking.

Giving up driving was the final blow for my mother. Her ability to get into her car and drive to a store or the library was what gave her a feeling of independence and freedom. She really could not have continued driving. Her level of concentration and her slowed reaction times could not handle that type of task, which is what those fender benders were telling her (and her insurance company). While I was somewhat relieved when she turned in her driver's license, she has been downright miserable ever since. Although I willingly drive her wherever she wants to go, she complains, constantly, of being "a prisoner in the house". She will not consider taking a taxi to go out, and has no reason for not wanting to do so.

So, at 94, my reasonably healthy and very mentally sharp mother, spends her days isolated, lonely, and extremely bored, in the house. Very little on TV, other than the news, really interests her. She reads, mainly newspapers and magazines, because her concentration and memory difficulties make it difficult for her to get really involved in a book. Having always been an avid reader, she is distressed that she can no longer immerse herself in a good book because she finds it so frustrating. She used to enjoy painting, but now has no interest in picking up a brush. The longer she is alone and unoccupied, the more she misses those people she loved who are no longer around, and the more depressed her mood gets. She gets angry and upset and often states she has lived too long, that her life is now useless and meaningless, and that she wishes she were dead. She often feels like continuing to live, at this point, is a curse for her.

My mother has become both life-weary and loss-weary, partly as a result of having attained an advanced age, but also because of her particular personality characteristics. My mother, by virtue of the fact that her physical and mental abilities are still pretty intact, could fairly easily make some changes in her life that might bring her greater satisfaction. But my mother has always been a rather passive person. She reacts, but she does not initiate. She has always been hesitant about trying new things, and now stubbornly refuses to try things. She is not used to deciding for herself what she feels like doing, and she is far more accustomed to fulfilling the roles that others expected of her. She is not from a generation where women ever thought about having independent lives. She never thought about or planned for what she might do after retirement from working. At this time, she has no roles, she has no obligations, she has no external structure or demands, and she is totally at loose ends regarding how to manage her time. For her, time has become an enemy.

So, if you were to ask my mother whether people can live too long, and can become too life-weary and too loss-weary, I think she'd answer with a resounding, "Yes!"

While some of my mother's problems are related to her particular personality, the general loss of a sense of usefulness and purpose, and the loss of independence due to infirmity or simply advanced aging, and the resultant depression that follows, may be rather common among those in my mother's age range. It's not that they have become weary with life, or depleted by losing too many loved ones, but rather that they can no longer compensate for all the loses by continuing to pursue an active lifestyle or by otherwise distracting themselves with some activities. The effort to do things may simply be too much or not worth it. This leaves too much time to think about what was, and to ponder what is missing in the present, simply because the present is so relatively impoverished.

As more people live to very advanced ages, and families are scattered and at distances, perhaps assisted living facilities or senior communes or communities, or retirement communities, will become the norm for most people, much more so than they are today. That might help to address some of the problems, but not all of them. Unfortunately, we deteriorate as we age, and our functioning becomes more and more limited. Living even longer only prolongs that process, it doesn't really change it. At the point where we feel too limited to be able to do any of things we want to do, or need to do, or where the effort of daily life has just become too much, we might all feel as though we have lived long enough.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:10 am
@firefly,
Firefly, aging is an assault upon the ego, as we lose independence, mobility, and as chronic pain sets in. Some people master the aging process however, let go of their ego ways enough that they can enjoy these years. Check out Ram Dass in "Still here" Riverhead Books, 2000. Meds only help a bit with this, the primary tool needed is a healthy outlook on life in general and aging in particular.
firefly

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 12:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
Oh, I agree completely, hawkeye. A healthy outlook on life is essential--at any age. Any pre-existing personality problems are simply likely to intensify as we get older and are confronted with more and more challenges, obstacles, and losses.

That's why I know that, in part, some of my mother's problems are due to her personality make-up, and how she has always coped with change, and not just due to the stress of advanced aging.

You really do have to let go of parts of yourself, and change your image of yourself, as aging takes it's toll. But, by the time you are in your 90's, I think that most people have learned to weather those assaults on one's ego. They couldn't have survived that long if they didn't do that. But everyone may have a breaking point, a final indignity or loss that is just too much to bear. And, certainly when you are over 90, your emotional stamina for coping with things may really be wearing down.

When I look at my mother, I still see a reasonably vital woman with the physical and mental abilities, and energy, to enjoy a very good quality of life, if only she would be willing to make some changes and push herself out of the house, and fight her depression a little more.

However, my mother keeps saying to me, "You don't understand what it's like to be 94". And she is right. I don't know what that is like. Her doctors don't know what's that like either. Once in a blue moon, she will run into another person in their 90's, but it's pretty infrequent. A lot of the time she feels like an oddity, or a curiosity, because she is so much older than everyone else in just about every situation she is in, even if no one else actually knows her age (and she looks considerably younger than she is).

I don't know what it feels like to have lived for 94 years. I don't know what a 94 year old body or brain feels like, even if they are in pretty good shape. I don't know what it's like to have to leave a job I loved, or stop driving my car, because I just couldn't keep up anymore, and my abilities were failing. I don't have to experience an enormous, daily gap between what I would like to do, and what I am able to do. I don't know what kind of emotional and physical stamina one must muster to keep going at 94.

I do have to cope with my own age-related problems--in my case, chronic severe back pain--but I do not feel my essential personhood dimished by such things. My mother has reached a point where she feels less of a person, where the person she was is rapidly ebbing away, and some of this is due to neurological changes in her brain. That's not just an ego assault, it really is the final blow of very advanced age. I'm not sure that one can have a healthy outlook about that sort of thing. At best, I think one can only deal with it by resignation, and, if possible, some humor. Fortunately, my mother's sense of humor is still alive and kicking.

Apart from giving my mother support, encouragement, etc. I try to let her make her own decisions about things. I did not insist she stop driving, for instance, the final decision was hers. I'm not insisting she consider an assisted living facility, although I can see where such a situation might have some advantages for her. I'm more than willing to care for her and to make sure that her life is as good as it can be. I respect her enough to not deprive her of her dignity and independence any more than what mother nature is already doing to her.

So, hawkeye, I'm not really sure that any of us can really tell a 94 year old what a healthy outlook on life should be. I'm more inclined to think we should focus on trying to learn from the extremely elderly, since they have weathered this trip longer than we have, and they must be doing something right. It's also the best way for us to prepare for our own advanced years.

eoe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 12:50 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
So, hawkeye, I'm not really sure that any of us can really tell a 94 year old what a healthy outlook on life should be. I'm more inclined to think we should focus on trying to learn from the extremely elderly, since they have weathered this trip longer than we have, and they must be doing something right. It's also the best way for us to prepare for our own advanced years.

That's how I see it. Live and learn, whether you want to or not. Because whatever your circumstances, you want to stand up and face them with honor and grace. My 96 year old aunt has moved into a nursing facility. She didn't want to but her sons thought it best and they kind of tricked her into it but according to everyone, she's accepted that it's the best place for her and doing very well. She's keeps active as musical director for their church services, directing the choir and playing the piano. She no longer spends her days alone as before and she's being taken care of properly, which wasn't happening before. I figure she must be at peace with her fate so at this rate, who knows how long she'll stick around?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 12:54 pm
@Chumly,
immortality would be awesome.

i'd love it, the power and wealth you could build would be the ****.
nlet alone the knowledge you could accumulate.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 12:55 pm
@Chumly,
immortality would be awesome.

i'd love it, the power and wealth you could build would be the ****.
nlet alone the knowledge you could accumulate.
eoe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 01:00 pm
@OGIONIK,
Shoot, even Louis (Interview with the Vampire) got tired of living.
OGIONIK

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 01:29 pm
@eoe,
its all about willpower. death is always there, infinite life isnt.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 01:34 pm
@OGIONIK,
said by one who has not yet lived enough to begin to question his faith in his ego.
OGIONIK

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 01:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
i have no ego, i doubt myself to the fullest extent.
NickFun

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 01:40 pm
@OGIONIK,
My grandma passed away lay year at 102. She smoked heavily, drank, ate fatty food, loved her pastries and only did gardening for exercise. My dad passed away two years before her at 77 suffering from Alzheimer's and leukemia.

Ya just never know.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 01:44 pm
@Chumly,
if that were the case it would most likely be confirmed that my loved ones could avail themselves of this technology as well.... so on that score why not?

However.... we live in a finite world that will support only so many people with any sort of quality.... so it would be a crap shoot.... I don't want to live forever if I'm starving or over crowded or uncomfortable etc. etc.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 01:46 pm
@NickFun,
Ogionik, how do you know you'd have wealth and power with longevity? The longer you live, the more chances you have to fail, louse things up, and go broke. Laughing

At the moment I feel very happy. My mother suddenly, and quite unexpectedly, announced she has decided she is going to start going to the senior center in September because she's just too bored in the house and she feels like, "I'm mentally stagnating". This is after I've been pleading with her, for almost two years, to go there. But, it had to be her decision. Now she doesn't feel coerced or shoved into some situation she didn't want to be in. She's going for her own reasons, and I couldn't be more delighted. At 94 she's definitely entitled to be having a better time with her life, and I'm glad she finally realized she has some control over that. If nothing else, she's teaching me patience. She really continues to amaze me.
OGIONIK

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 02:42 pm
@firefly,
the more you fail, the closer you are to success.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 04:01 pm
@Chumly,
To me a long life (without physical suffering, of course) would be a blessing. I've already lost many friends and relatives. After grieving, I make new friends. I can't replace them (everyone's irreplaceable) but I meet the needs they met by other means.
And just think: many more years enables me to do and make many things. THAT'S the point of life for me--to create things and experiences.
mismi

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 04:08 pm
@NickFun,
Oh my Great Grandaddy died at 103...smoked, dipped, drank drove until he was 95 years old...which quite honestly was scarey. He ate whatever he felt like. His son, my Grandaddy (PawPaw) died at 72 - had Alzheimers. Crap shoot.
0 Replies