A2K airdrop for a fellow member in Iraq

Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:36 pm
@spendius,
I appreciate the soldiers, and have prepped a few young men to get their heads ready to go.

Bashing on Squinney ain't gonna help 'em none...
spendius

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:42 pm
@Rockhead,
Nothing can help them. It's just a game played by the folks back home who only think of them when they wish to find a moment or two to express their own virtuous personality.

Get real.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:44 pm
@spendius,
Not true.

Any REAL sense of caring and "normal" helps keep their heads right. (It's a tough game, but we make our kids play it...)

I'ma go a step further, (prolly should not...)

Most of these kids joined to get an education, or away from poverty, not cuz they think Dick Cheney is Jebus...

Ima stop now
Embarrassed
Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:51 pm
Spendi, you have me crapping on Seed's thred...

Let's go somewhere else, if you really want to argue.

You know how to find the bar, no?
spendius

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:53 pm
@Rockhead,
How wonderful for the kids eh?

They must think you are wonderful people for providing them with the opporunity to play at that. I certainly did. But not at the time.

I remember that we discussed the folks back home quite a lot. We could read in Media what was concerning them.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:56 pm
@spendius,
Maybe you missed my sarcasm in your rush to present...

This is really not the place, old chap.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:58 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm not arguing Rocky. I'm telling you what it feels like. If it feels different where you are that's okay by me.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 06:02 pm
Where do we send the stuff ?

David
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 06:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You send the stuff to Cylco. He's given an email for further instructions.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 06:54 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Hi David,

I emailed you an address.

Thanks to everyone who has responded, what a great response from a great group of people!

Cycloptichorn
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 07:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
OK
I received it.
I 'll prepare a package.

Thank u.

David
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:26 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I've been there myself.

The weather definitely does not suit the clothes. End of August though and it's getting less unbearable.

Special requests eh?

Yeah--shut the **** up pretending you're empathising. You're jacking your ego off you silly moo. Send a beaver shot of yourself if you want to be useful. It's easy to do.

Congradulations on showing yourself just how much of an asshole you are. Who are you to judge what friends do for their friends? Don't come into this thread putting people down for doing something that makes them feel good. Maybe sending packages to those who are helping the nation is a way that other feel like they can help. Why dont you get off your high horse and send something to your friends that might be over here now.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:29 pm
@Seed,
spendius has no friends!
roger

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:39 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Awaiting further instructions.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 03:40 am
An extract from an article in the Sunday Times-

Quote:
My heart goes out instead to the thousands of backroom boys I met. Their life, far from the fighting, behind the blast-proof walls and the razor wire and the guard dogs and the sentries, is about as horrible as it’s possible to imagine. Unless you work in the Nigerian sewers.

Some are based at Camp Bastion, in the middle of the desert. The view is grey. You look over a vast grey camp with grey buildings to the grey concrete walls and beyond to the grey desert that blends into the dust-choked grey sky. There is no green. There is no yellow. There is no relief.

And of course, this being the army, everything has to be done at o’crikey o’clock. You never hear anyone in the forces say: “I thought we’d leave at 11ish.” Everything happens at three in the morning.

And at night it’s cold. Bitterly, numbingly cold. So cold that even the Geordies roll their sleeves down.

Happily the tents have heaters, which sounds lovely. But annoyingly the heaters in question have only two settings: “off” and so “on”, you could bake a bloody potato in there.

If you’re stationed at Kandahar you get a proper prefab building and the bedrooms have proper fan heaters that suck dust from the outside and shoot it into the room with such vigour that soon it sets off the smoke alarm.

Yup. Even though this is a full-on war, with Apache helicopter gunships and everything, you are not allowed to smoke indoors because it’s bad for your health. Also no vehicle is permitted to enter the battlefield - and I’m not joking - unless it meets EU emissions regulations.

I should mention at this point the lavatory doors, which someone erected four inches from the bowl. This is fine if you are Douglas Bader, but everyone else has to leave the door open. And I’m sorry but doing your number twos in plain view of everyone is only all right if you are a beast of the field.

Then you step into the showers, which are great. Except for one tiny detail. Water is in short supply so your allowance wouldn’t be enough even to baptise a baby. It isn’t anywhere near enough to wash a suicide bomber’s spleen out of your hair.

At night there is nothing to do. There is no gym, no cinema, no bar, no pool, no tennis court. There is, however, a shop where you can buy orange juice and coffee. Beer? Nope. It’s dry, even on Christmas Day.

So a typical day for the soldiers who keep the frontline troops fed, watered and armed is: get up. Chisel ice from your nose. Defecate in front of your mates. Shower your left foot. Walk to office. Do work. Walk to cookhouse. Walk to tent when tired. Repeat seven days a week.

And it’s bloody hard work. Every day the planes and the trucks are bringing in kit and you’ve got to sort it while trying not to wonder why someone back in Britain has sent 200 office desks with no drawers, 20,000 pairs of chef’s trousers and - get this - 2,000 jars of cockles. Any guns today? No. Just cockles.

The Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, meanwhile, spend their days scurrying into the badlands to retrieve trucks and tanks that have been blown to smithereens by bombs. To judge by the sheer volume of wrecked machinery in their yard, they do this a lot, and it’s not easy hauling stuff that weighs more than the moon over a desert while Johnny Taliban is taking pot shots all the time. Still, there’s always the promise of some lovely cockles if you get back.

And it’s not as if you’re out there for a couple of weeks. The tour of duty is six months, broken only by 14 days’ leave in Britain ... theoretically. Sadly, the RAF has only three Tristars and they all date from the time of Montgolfier, which means they break down often.

That means you can spend the first five days of your leave sitting on the tarmac in Kandahar and then five hours at the baggage reclaim in Brize Norton waiting for someone to open the door to the hold. Which has got stuck. Again.

Still, there was some cheery news from Gordon Brown when he dropped in for a 40-minute pat on the back the other day. He said simply that the forces would be in Afghanistan for another 10 years. And then he got on a plane and went home.

Ooh they were pleased. Six months a year for 10 years. That’s five years of their young lives in an alcohol-free sea of grey. This Christmas, then, spare them a thought.

How about getting on to your congressman to allocate more resources for all the troops out there.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 03:51 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo, if you send a ticket to the Help Desk (hit "Contact us", bottom of the page), I can pass the addy along to all Mods/Admins. We have reading materials to send.
Izzie

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 03:58 am
@jespah,
Hey Jes - not sure if my emails got thru to Cyclop....

will go thru the help desk too if that's k Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 03:59 am
@Seed,
Wondering what Seed likes to read..........?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 11:14 am
@CalamityJane,
Cal wrote-

Quote:
spendius has no friends!

Look Cal, if I had your approval I would consider throwing myself in the lake.

But you might try to show your disapproval of me in a way that the common run of fish-gutters and toilet cleaners can't manage.

Hey Seed--stick with the arseholes mate. Beware sirens. Get them to send you Heller and Mailer and Homer. And some WC Fields videos. (Assuming they're not banned yet.) And a nice big Christmas Cake.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 11:20 am
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

Smile anything you all want to send is welcome I am not picky :-)

I have these...

http://www.athenswater.com/images/H2O%27s-SEI-built-MK14s_1.jpg

Thank you for your service.
Stay safe and vote Republican.