A2K airdrop for a fellow member in Iraq

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 05:33 pm
@jespah,
now thats a wonderful idea.

I have books coming out my bumm. I read about 24-28 books a year.

Ohhh my. Seed? Anything in the world you have wanted to read, but have not? I betch'a hundred bucks I got it. If I dont my friend Kelly does. She and I read like madwomen..
Seed

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:05 pm
@shewolfnm,
Oh I would be willing to read what ever you felt was good :)always looking to open up my boundries
jespah

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:09 pm
@Seed,
Send me a ticket in the help desk (click "Contact us") and send me your addy. Just give me an idea of genre and I will send you something paperback.

'Twould be my pleasure.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:16 pm
Do you guys have experience about the kind of merchandize that ships well into desert countries over long distances? I know it's easy to make bad choices there, but what are the good choices?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:18 pm
@Seed,
Seed, I would send a box of interesting things, but would rather it go from me strait to you.

I have a blind e-mail posted in my profile. Send me a way to contact you, and I will show you some cool cars...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 12:50 am
@Seed,
Quote:
magazines, and pretty much anything to read, comics, readers diguest,
new papers all great ideas

I have some comics going back to the 1950s, Seed.
Lemme see what I can find.

Anything other than reading materials ?

David
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 02:01 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo...it would cost non-americans twice as much that way.

If we folk can have an addy.....we can send to Seed....I be thinking boks....

dadpad

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 02:27 am
@dlowan,
Vegemite.
dadpad

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 02:32 am
@dadpad,
do you know any expat aussies seed to trade with?

vegimite could be big on the black market
McTag

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 02:38 am
@Cycloptichorn,

Odour-Eaters for his boots

Smile
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 03:42 am
@dadpad,
or you could grease trucks with it
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:28 am
As the director for a large community, we've done this several times. It can take a fair amount of time to arrive, so one thing to keep in mind is the expiration date on items. It's now end of August, so don't send something that will expire before Thanksgiving or Christmas for example. Whatever is sent, expect it to be inspected prior to delivery. Just like traveling yourself between countries, think of what isn't allowed due to germination and transfer of bugs such as not being able to bring fruit home from another country. No flamables, batteries, glass, smokes, alcohol, etc.

Some of the list of acceptables / appreciateds that I remember:

Sani hand wipes, Q tips, deoderant, sample size stuff. They can buy it, but if they don't have to, even better. Think light weight and convenience for if no electric / water etc is available to use it or it has to be carried.

Books, magazines, comics, newspapers

Prepackaged foods in single servings. Chocolate not likely to travel well. Protein snacks such as sunflower seeds, nuts, trail mix... good.

A soldier that returned recently claimed to be the Guitaar Hero of Bagdad. Not sure if he competed against Seed, but apparently at least some have access to game systems. If so, a a game might be appreciated.

Prepaid i-tunes gift cards for downloads, phone cards, visa/mastercards.

As you go through your day, notice what you use or enjoy and make a list. From that list, see if it can be adapted to fit a care package... toothbrush, toothpaste, coffee (should it be instant?), i-pod, (prepaid card), feed the cat (skip that one unless you want him to feed strays), snack (see above), and on and on througfh your typical day. That was how I found most people came up with creative ideas when I'd say "Oh, yeah. How'd you think of sending THAT?"

Seed

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:54 am
@squinney,
to right Squinney :-)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 10:08 am
@squinney,
Excellent ideas, squinney, thank you! That gave me a good idea what to do
now!
Cyclo, watch out, my package is coming soon! Laughing
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:32 am
@squinney,
I was thinking of sending a bunch of those fruit roll-ups (sometimes called fruit leather) in various flavors. Seems they would survive the trip and still give the taste of fruit/sweets without the restrictions.

Would this be an allowable item?

I have one of those vacuum sealers so sealing them in a bag would give them yet another layer of protection to survive the trip.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 03:16 pm
A friend's boyfriend was stationed in the area as support. He wanted coffee, flavored powders for his water, spots bars..... I'll ask what else - he's back now.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:20 pm
Seed can probably speak to it better than I, but I would think original packaging only, just to not raise eyebrows as to why it is double bagged.

What's the weather like this time of year, Seed? Any special requests?
spendius

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:23 pm
@squinney,
I've been there myself.

The weather definitely does not suit the clothes. End of August though and it's getting less unbearable.

Special requests eh?

Yeah--shut the **** up pretending you're empathising. You're jacking your ego off you silly moo. Send a beaver shot of yourself if you want to be useful. It's easy to do.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:28 pm
@spendius,
Spendi, are you off your meds?
spendius

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:34 pm
@Rockhead,
Try going Rocky.