Unofficial and temporary A2K Tutorial Slideshow

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 02:16 pm
Hi folks,

For everyone still having trouble navigating the remodeled A2K, I put together a quick slideshow that helps visually demonstrate how to find your way around. The trouble is that a lot of the infrastructure for using the tags is going to change in about a week to two weeks so much of this will be revised.

The dilemma was to wait two weeks and let folks continue to fumble around in the dark or post the link with the caveat that it will change in a couple weeks and you'll have to learn some more stuff.

I got Craven's okay to post the link to the slideshow as long as everyone understands this isn't official and will be changing in a couple weeks when they add a few new features to the navigation..

Would you also do me a favor and offer some constructive criticism on the slides as to the content, descriptions and how clear it is for non-technical folks to follow? Use this thread to give me your feedback. Also if there are other mysteries about the remodeled A2K that you think should be included in this very basic introductory tutorial, let me know that too.

Ok so here's the link: Use the slideshow controls to pause or slow down the speed of the slide changes and be sure to make note of both the slide content and the content in the captions.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Butrflynet/A2KTutorial/photo#s5237037045319105986
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,556 • Replies: 13

Intrepid

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 02:21 pm
@Butrflynet,
Nicely done. I didn't learn anything new, but I am sure it will be useful to many people. Thank you for taking the time to provide this information.

I found it easy to follow and read.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 03:55 pm
@Intrepid,
You must be a very fast reader, because the slide-show moves a bit too fast for me! LOL
Diane

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 03:59 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet, you are wonderful for adding this way of learning. Combined with reading all the instructions and tips, this helps bring them all to mind--useful for understanding and for remembering.

Fabulous!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
c.i. you can adjust the speed of the slideshow with the controls at the bottom of the screen. You can even pause it and navigate the slides manually with the forward and reverse arrows.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:11 pm
Is there anything missing that you know now but wished you had been taught when you first arrived to the remodeled site?

For instance, I think it needs some screenshots of the Preferences page but I'm waiting for the dust to settle a bit before making one.

Also think it needs something about how to use Gravatar to create your avatar here. Just need to figure out how to swipe RP's screenshots of it and make them fit into the slide format.

Anything else it needs for a non-technical new person arriving to A2K for the first time and needing to know the basics so they can post and find topics?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
Sounds like a winner. Some of us already had problems with Gravatar, but it's probably because I ain't too bright. LOL
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Instructions for using Gravatar to make your avatar:

http://able2know.org/topic/121237-1#post-3368053
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:30 am
@Butrflynet,
My daughter is one smart and thoughtful gal. Always has been, always will be.

BBB
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:43 am
Holy Cow, that's cool!

Thank you very much. I just learned how everyone was finding other peoples posts and that I can use the search box (didn't think it was working yet) and how to tag and ...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Can this stay as an unofficial place to get slide show demonstrations of new stuff rather than being temporary?
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:50 am
@Butrflynet,
What a wonderful piece of work. Thanks, Butrflynet!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:44 am
@squinney,
It is my understanding that there is going to be a full blown help section and I've volunteered to make screenshots and a slide show for it if it is wanted.

So, this topic will eventually be superceded by that.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet, I still come back here to make sure I'm doing something right (for a change) or doing something wrong and counting on you to set me right.

Please continue with these tutorials as a2k makes changes. It has been a lifesaver, especially as I'm a person who learns best by seeing examples as well as just reading.

You are a treasure.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
Oh my goodness - thanks this helps me alot. I guess I am a visual learner.
0 Replies