I Spent Years as a POW with John McCain, and His Finger Should Not Be Near the Red Button

roger

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 12:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo wrote:
Sure, but does that make him suited to be president?

No. It certainly does not make him unsuited to be president. It's only a part of the resume. Another part might be a term or two in the Senate. Mr. Obama might claim the same, and I that's what most of us are going to be voting for - or against, as the case may be.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 12:26 pm
@JTT,
You don't have the foggiest notion how Barack Obama or even you would react in those circumstances.

Thank you. That's exactly what I said. Thank you for reminding me.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 12:37 pm
@H2O MAN,
"McCain has led"

McCain, the flip flopping fool led. Laughing Laughing

Wingnuts sure have weird ideas about what 'lead' means.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 08:37 pm
JTT, I gave you a thumbs up, but somebody keeps give you the negative. I'm not sure why, because what you said about McCain's flip-flops is legend from several years back.

November 20, 2006
McCain’s flourishing flip-flop list
Posted November 20th, 2006 at 9:00 am

Share This | Spotlight | Permalink

Update: This post has been updated, expanded, and broken down by category.

Just to follow-up briefly on Michael’s guest-post from yesterday, Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) new-found opposition to Roe v. Wade is rather remarkable, even for him.

In 1999, McCain was in New Hampshire, campaigning for the GOP nomination as a moderate. He proclaimed himself a pro-life candidate, but told reporters that “in the short term, or even the long term, I would not support repeal of Roe v. Wade.” He explained that overturning Roe would force “women in America to [undergo] illegal and dangerous operations.” Yesterday, campaigning for the GOP nomination as a conservative, McCain said the opposite.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Let me ask one question about abortion. Then I want to turn to Iraq. You’re for a constitutional amendment banning abortion, with some exceptions for life and rape and incest.

MCCAIN: Rape, incest and the life of the mother. Yes.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So is President Bush, yet that hasn’t advanced in the six years he’s been in office. What are you going to do to advance a constitutional amendment that President Bush hasn’t done?

MCCAIN: I don’t think a constitutional amendment is probably going to take place, but I do believe that it’s very likely or possible that the Supreme Court should " could overturn Roe v. Wade, which would then return these decisions to the states, which I support…. Just as I believe that the issue of gay marriage should be decided by the states, so do I believe that we would be better off by having Roe v. Wade return to the states.

The old McCain didn’t want an amendment and didn’t want Roe overturned. The new McCain completely disagrees with the old McCain.

It’s worth noting that politicians’ opinions on abortion can, and often do, “evolve” over time. Dick Gephardt and Al Gore, for example, both opposed abortion rights before eventually becoming pro-choice. With this in mind, McCain’s unexpected shift may simply reflect yet another pol whose thinking has changed over time.

Or, far more likely, McCain is once again abandoning any pretense of consistency and integrity, and is now willing to say literally anything to win.

Let’s return, once again, to McCain’s flourishing flip-flop list, which is now a Top 11 list.

* McCain criticized TV preacher Jerry Falwell as “an agent of intolerance” in 2002, but has since decided to cozy up to the man who said Americans “deserved” the 9/11 attacks. (Indeed, McCain has now hired Falwell’s debate coach.)

* McCain used to oppose Bush’s tax cuts for the very wealthy, but he reversed course in February.

* In 2000, McCain accused Texas businessmen Sam and Charles Wyly of being corrupt, spending “dirty money” to help finance Bush’s presidential campaign. McCain not only filed a complaint against the Wylys for allegedly violating campaign finance law, he also lashed out at them publicly. In April, McCain reached out to the Wylys for support.

* McCain supported a major campaign-finance reform measure that bore his name. In June, he abandoned his own legislation.

* McCain used to think that Grover Norquist was a crook and a corrupt shill for dictators. Then McCain got serious about running for president and began to reconcile with Norquist.

* McCain took a firm line in opposition to torture, and then caved to White House demands.

* McCain gave up on his signature policy issue, campaign-finance reform, and won’t back the same provision he sponsored just a couple of years ago.

* McCain was against presidential candidates campaigning at Bob Jones University before he was for it.

* McCain was anti-ethanol. Now he’s pro-ethanol.

* McCain was both for and against state promotion of the Confederate flag.

* And now he’s both for and against overturning Roe v. Wade.

It’s not exactly a newsflash that McCain is veering ridiculously to the right in a rather shameless attempt to reinvent himself, but Dems should take advantage of the situation and help establish the narrative now. Despite his rather embarrassing record of late, we still have major media figures telling the public that “no one would accuse McCain of equivocating on anything.”

Now is the time to begin characterizing McCain " accurately " as a man with no principle beliefs. Dems should not only criticize McCain’s constantly evolving opinions on nearly everything, they should openly mock him for it now, so that the storyline becomes second nature (like the GOP did with “serial exaggerator” Al Gore).

The nation is seeing McCain 2.0, and we like the old one better.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 08:41 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Okie, your's are big time lame excuses for McCains lack of appropriate temperment for the presidency, especially as commander in chief. We don't need a warrior-inclined president and we don't need more wars.

BBB

Speaking of hotheads and loose cannons, looks like you've got one on your ticket, to more than balance things out.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:15 pm
Does anyone else get the impression that BBB doesn't want McCain to win in November?
spendius

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 04:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
The consensus in my pub is that Mr Obama has no chance.
okie

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:21 am
@spendius,
Thats as good of a poll as most of them.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 12:34 pm
@spendius,
In my Cologne Irish Pub USA has no chance to recoup its past image irrespective of the outcome of the election.
Rama
spendius

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 01:52 pm
@Ramafuchs,
I should hope not too. It's past image is something it's trying to forget.
0 Replies