What's happened to A2K?

hamburgboy

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 04:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
(from "hamburgboy" formerly "hamburger" - i have an identity problem)

rg wrote :

"The way to browse that will change shortly to include a quick tag search above it that will filter the list as you type. There will be other navigation improvements as well, like a separate tag page to browse them all in more space and such. "

i'm sure i'll get used to certain parts of the new a2k sometime in the future .

here is one important feature that i really miss :

if one was looking for travel information , one would go to the TRAVEL section , further to one of the subsections , such as " EUROPE " and take it from there .

my guess is that under the new a2k , many users will create unnecessary topics rather than posting under one of the existing ones .
i'm sure that some users love to create their own topic for just about any item . personally , i preferred to add to one of the existing posts - but that was just my choice .
perhaps creating lots of new topics is the way to go ???

here is a feature that might be considered .

when going to a2k , some links might show :

A ) link to a section to learn about a2k - particularly for new members ; sort of like an introduction .

B ) link to a section headed : a2k's new features of the last 10/20/30 days ; where one could go to find any changes /updates .

C ) link to an a outline of MAIN SECTIONS .

D ) SKIP LINKS - for anyone wanting to go directly into a2k .

hbg
jespah

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 04:01 am
@hamburgboy,
How about just tagging topics? Go to anything tagged as travel, take a peek and tag whatever is Europe as Europe. I believe Europe is a tag anyway so you're already there.

Tags are links. What you are suggesting, actually, already exists.
hamburgboy

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 11:18 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote :

"How about just tagging topics? Go to anything tagged as travel, take a peek and tag whatever is Europe as Europe. I believe Europe is a tag anyway so you're already there.

Tags are links. What you are suggesting, actually, already exists. "

jespah :
perhaps i'm misunderstanding you .
the way i read your comments , i'd have to deveelop my own system to bring a basic system of order to a2k .

example :
- (as you wrote ) Go to anything tagged as travel, take a peek and tag whatever is Europe as Europe ,

- so next week i'd like to read up on north-american travel , i'd have to repeat the tagging on anything N.A. ,

- in a month i want to look at south-america , tag south-america etc. etc

is that what i have to do with travel - and any other major subject ?

what about new posts by other users , does a2k add those automatically to my tags ? (i have difficulty understanding how a2k could - but never mind that ) .
or do i have to search and add new tags after i've not visited the particular topic for some time ?

i imagine the new a2k is better for users limiting their interest to a few items(tags) , but it seems not organized to simply look at MAJOR headings .
using GOOGLE NEWS as an example , i get an OVERVIEW of the major departments for various contries and can decide which one to pick or skip .
(this is similar to a newspaper website : the reports are bundled in MAJOR sections ; if i want to read about business , i'll go to that section without having to look at anything else .
it seems to me that's how the OLD a2k worked : if we started a new topic , we had to label it and fit it into one of the main sections .
if i wanted to look at travel , i'd go to travel and from there decide what subsection i wanted to access .

perhaps there is some system of MAJOR groupings hidden inside the NEW a2k , but right now i don't see it popping up .
take care !
hbg

ps. perhaps the SIDETAGS now appearing on the left could (eventually) be fitted under main headings .
currently i have to scan all sidetags - and they are not easy to read since they are in small and faint script ; they are also not in any easily recognizable order (politics might be followed by humour right now , but two hours later it might be a different order ).

0 Replies