Region Philbis

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:29 pm
@dagmaraka,
(there are 2 "r"s in dagmaraker btw...)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:55 pm
@dagmaraka,
Just picking on the language they speak up there.

I was with a guy in the army who was almost frantic. We kept showing him where his uniforms were, but it turned out he wasn't looking for his khakis. Poor guy couldn't find his car keys. He was from Bhaston, too.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:01 am
I didn't think I'd use the ignore feature. After all, I can ignore somebody just fine without a button. But with the larger number of posts per page, scrolling takes longer, and I quickly realized that there were some members whose posts were not even worth the time it took to scroll past them. In particular, there are three members who share the same characteristics: (1) they have never said anything that has contributed to any thread in which they have participated; and (2) they usually take too much space to say it. Note, these aren't people with whose politics I disagree: one is left of center, one is right of center, and one is just an idiot. It's not that I agree or disagree with them, it's that they have never said anything worthwhile and they have given no indication that they will do so in the future. On the road of life they are the equivalent of potholes, and I have no regrets about avoiding them.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:20 am
I haven't ignored anybody. Could happen but sometimes even one's enemies become friends. I haven't voted down anybody's posts either, at least on purpose. I have done the thumbs down on threads that I knew I would never post on and wanted out of the way, but it still feels crappy. I really REALLY would like an ignore or hide button for threads to avoid the icky feeling when I vote thumbs down, but I know I'm in a minority on that.

Brought a special person into A2K--first time ever for him to participate in a forum like this. He reported me three times trying to make a post. Smile
Wilso

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:09 am
Yep, a couple of complete morons out of my sight forever. Love that feature.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:25 am
@Foxfyre,
I really like that idea, Foxfyre: a "hide" button for those threads one never visits or has no interest in - rather than feeling like you're voting someone or their thread down. Not a good feeling, I agree.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:33 am
I think it would be good if the game threads were given a separate area, so they don't have to be constantly sorted through & voted down. Also, they're the threads which have heaps of quick posts, which clutter up the New Posts list.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 06:55 am
@Ticomaya,
I only have one on ignore and it's one of two mentioned by Tico.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 07:31 am
I haven't felt the overwhelming desire to ignore anyone yet. Maybe I will, I don't know. I keep thinking that if i do then the conversation will start to look disjoint -- especially if other people respond. Those who use ignore: does that happen?
JPB

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 07:56 am
@FreeDuck,
right, particularly when those who aren't ignoring someone carry on about him/her in subsequent posts.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 08:26 am
@edgarblythe,
I can't see a reason for ignoring anyone. Even the ones who ignore me.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 08:31 am
@roger,
doh.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 08:40 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

I haven't felt the overwhelming desire to ignore anyone yet. Maybe I will, I don't know. I keep thinking that if i do then the conversation will start to look disjoint -- especially if other people respond. Those who use ignore: does that happen?

Every once in a while, but then you just look at the post of the ignored poster after all.

His/her post hasnt disappeared after all -- it's just collapsed, just like when you vote a post down. It'll say in tiny letters, "User ignored", and when you click the link that goes with it, you can always read it after all, if you feel you need to.

Rarely feel the need though; even if people respond, you can usually tell enough from the responses, especially if quote is used. Plus, most of the time I just skip by those responses too - there are exceptions, but usually when even bona fide posters start wrestling with the pig, all you get is just mud. Better skip past the whole trolling mayhem and keep your focus on the actual discussion of the original topic.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 08:51 am
@nimh,
The two I have on ignore .... their missing posts aren't usually commented upon. Which is one reason they're on ignore in the first place.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 09:10 am
@edgarblythe,
Anyway, as for who'll "admit to ignoring one or more members" -- admit? Is it supposed to be something embarrasing? -- sure. It's a useful feature, I use it.

People have complained for years about scrolling past the stuff of those who really are just trolling or incomprehensible. And complaining about all the people who will reward those trolls by massively replying to him to tell him how stupid he is. Rightly so. Well, now there's a solution.

Press ignore for the worst posters, and no longer do you need to scroll past their endless copy/pastes, no longer do you need to read really offensive stuff that, no matter how much you tell yourself "oh it's just poster X", eventually ends up riling you up, no longer are you tempted to respond in-depth to fact-check each inane bait, losing hours in the process with zilch result. I love it. Putting as few as just half a dozen people on ignore already is like, Ooooomm, the skies clear and suddenly a2k is a site where reasonable people discuss their disagreements, rather than a pigsty where you have to scroll past endless baiting and ranting.

Of course, I post or read a lot on Politics, so that makes a big difference. If you mostly post on Pets & Gardening, I'd guess you'd never need the function.

None of this, by the way, has anything to do with silencing dissenting opinions, or as one poster here said, making a2k a place where you only ever meet people who agree with you, how boring. I doubt anyone uses it like that.

Anyway, currently I've got no fewer than 13 people on ignore. The number is a little inflated, because I've been tagging a lot of old threads and occasionally came across someone that I really never again needed to see a post of again and clicked ignore for, even though, I dunno I didnt check, maybe they arent even posting here anymore. Like that guy who only ever posted about how white people are attacked by blacks and should band together and stand up against black people.

One on the list is an exception; I'm sure I'll un-ignore that one soon enough. It's just the current mission this one's on makes for very tiring discussions that I'm nevertheless sorely tempted to get involved in. So I give my strained capacity of self-restraint a hand by just not coming across those posts for a bit. Function's very useful for that too. I admire those who have an unlimited capacity for self-restraint and can stay out of arguments they know ahead wont yield anything, but I can use the help.

The others are overwhelmingly the usual suspects. A couple of trolls, one or two probably well-meaning posters whose endless ramblings are just incoherent to the point of unintelligible; one or two extremists whose views are just unpalatable (like that white power guy); the odd exception who is intelligent but tends to respond with such personal nastiness that I'd rather not be confronted with it; one who only ever obsessively posts on one subject; (it's the Jews' fault!). Well, you get the drift.
nimh

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 09:16 am
@nimh,
Oh yeah, as for the politics of it: I got 4 lefties and 7 righties on my list (with 2 unclassifiable).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:20 am
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, I'm sure others are with you (I haven't read the thread). I know I am. I thumb down threads a lot, but I don't thumb down posts and I can't seem to ignore anyone except temporarily when they are posting in a flurry.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:27 am
Although I'm sure I'm on one or two's ignore list I haven't put anyone on ignore. There was one person I was sure I would, but I never see them post so it's not necessary and besides, I'm able to use my internal ignore system pretty well.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 11:07 am
@edgarblythe,
Oh yes, I have several people on ignore. People who say nothing continually, which annoys me, and people who get ugly with others, which offends me. I really like this feature. Now I don't have to read inane or rude things. Yay.
0 Replies