Is It Finally Over For Obama?

Miller

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:06 pm
August 20, 2008
Op-Ed Columnist
Two Against The One
By MAUREEN DOWD

WASHINGTON

In the dead of night in a small hideaway office in the deserted Capitol, a clandestine meeting takes place between two senators with one goal.

They grin at each other as they lift their celebratory shots of brutally cold Stolichnaya.

“Our toast to The One,” they say in unison, “is that he’s toast.”

“Obama should have picked you, Hillary,” John McCain tells her. “It isn’t fair, my friend. But it just makes it easier for me to whup him.”

“Don’t worry, John, I’ve put it behind me,” Hillary replies. “I’m looking toward the future now, a future that looks very bright, once we send Twig Legs back to the back bench.”

They chortle with delight.

“He’s a bright young man, but he got ahead of himself,” McCain says. “He needs to be taught a lesson, and we’re the ones to do it. Have you seen the new Bloomberg poll? Obama’s dropped and we’re even again. The Bullet’s getting all the credit, but you and I know, Hillary, that it’s these top-secret counseling sessions we’re having. And thanks again for BlackBerrying me the Rick Warren questions while I was in the so-called cone of silence.”

“Oh, John, you know I love you and I’m happy to help,” Hillary says. “The themes you took from me are working great " painting Obama as an elitist and out-of-touch celebrity, when we’re rich celebrities, too. Turning his big rallies and pretty words into character flaws, charging him with playing the race card " that one always cracks me up. And accusing the media, especially NBC, of playing favorites. It’s easy to get the stupid press to navel-gaze; they’re so insecure.”

“They’re all pinko Commies,” McCain laughs. “Especially since they deserted me for The Messiah. Seriously, Hill, that Paris-Britney ad you came up with was brilliant. I owe you.”

Looking pleased, Hillary expertly downs another shot. “His secret fear is being seen as a dumb blonde,” she says. “He wants to take a short cut to the top and pose on glossy magazine covers, but he doesn’t want to be seen as a glib pretty boy.”

McCain lifts his glass to her admiringly. “If I do say so myself, while the rookie was surfing in Hawaii, I ate his pupus for lunch. Pictures of him pushing around a golf ball while I’m pushing around Putin. Priceless.”

“I have a little secret to tell you about that, John. Bill made it happen. He loves you so much. He called Putin and told him that if he invaded Georgia, he could count on being invited to the Clinton Global Initiative every year for the rest of his life.”

“Wow. Should I call him? I saw your husband’s kind words about me in Las Vegas on Monday, saying I’d be just as good as Obama on climate change.”

“I think he’d like that,” Hillary smiles. “He’s still boiling at Obama. And you don’t have to worry about my army of angry women. We’ve spread the word in the feminist underground " as opposed to that wacky Obama Weather Underground " that ‘catharsis’ is code for ‘No surrender.’ My gals know when I say ‘We may have started on two separate paths but we’re on one journey now’ that Skinny’s journey is to the nearest exit.”

“But Obama’s says he’s finally ready to hit back,” McCain says, frowning. “He’s starting a blistering TV campaign and attacking me for attacking his patriotism.”

“Now, John, you know that every time he tries to get tough, he quickly runs out of gas. Sometimes in debates, he’d be exhausted by the third question. He must use up all his energy in the gym. He doesn’t have any stamina, and he certainly doesn’t have our bloodlust. Besides, you can throw that Mark Penn stuff at him that I couldn’t use in a Democratic primary about how he’s not fundamentally American in his thinking and values. While he’s up on his high-minded pedestal, you’ll scoot past him in your Ferragamos.”

“How can I ever thank you, my friend?”

“You can announce that you won’t be running for re-election because you’d be 76, and you can pick somebody really lame to run with, like your pal Lieberman. That means one term for you, and two for me.”

“It’s a deal,” McCain says, sticking out his hand to shake on it. “That was inspired to snatch his convention away " makes him look so weak. Listen, why don’t you stop in Sedona on the way to Denver? Wear a black wig and I’ll spirit you up to the cabin for the night. I’ll catch a catfish in the mill pond and grill it for you. It will be an adventure.” There’s a knock on the door. Jesse Jackson sticks his head into the meeting.

“Is it over?” he asks his co-conspirators.

“Yes, he’s over,” they respond in unison.

NYTimes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 609 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:30 pm
@Miller,
Whatever our individual conception of the future, we all should re-evaluate the assumptions on which those conceptions have been based. This is a moment in which we should abandon any political certainties to which we may want to cling
Miller

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:32 pm
@Ramafuchs,
Twigs Obama to the rescue....
Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:44 pm
@Miller,
No.
My critical or rational observation.
The NYT Oped author writes so many articles which I always read.
But I had never read an article by her pointing out that the American electoral system has got only two parties and that is not an ideal system.
Sorry
Rama
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:02 pm
@Miller,
USA is a country with noble thoughts and barbaric political system.
Obama is a scapegoat.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:27 pm
I think Dowd plagiarized Robert Ludlum. I'm pretty sure I read that opening sequence in several of his books.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 04:25 pm
pretty funny.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 01:39 pm
@Miller,
Miller
do you wish to compete with me to get negative compliments?
I am afraid that you cannot win.
I mean I am the one who shows his ignorance pure without any inhibitions..
But I encourage you to surpass my records in this forum.
Good luck
Rama fuchs
Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 12:58 pm
@Ramafuchs,
Yes. Yes. yes.
Neither a black like MLK nor a lady like Indira Gandhi is qualified to achieve the so called soup-sipping silly SUPER POWER's toilet house which is called WHITE HOUSE
0 Replies