Aphorisms - show off your own or share your favourites

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 05:39 am
@Jpsy,
Jpsy wrote:

Quote:
"Where they burn books they will also in the end burn human bodies"--Heine

This is concern today because I heard they have banned certain books deemed "politically incorrect" in Canada and Europe.

You heard?

Why not supply some evidence, then people could make up their minds whether a ban was justified.

McTag

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 06:14 am
@Lordyaswas,
We don't ban no books. Well, maybe Enid Blyton for kindergartens and junior libraries. But that's not a "ban" exactly.
0 Replies

Jpsy

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 09:28 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Banning books is never justifiable in my opinion. I don't care how much I disagree with someone, I will always defend their right to speak their minds. I will try to find out which books were banned.
Also, who gets to make to decide what books should be banned? Who would you choose to tell you what you can and cannot read? We could select 10 different people and they could ban 10 totally different sets of books.
0 Replies

Jpsy

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 09:58 pm
@Lordyaswas,
In the meantime I'll leave you with this article about extremely liberal Bob Dylan possibly facing jail time for having made a politically incorrect comment a year ago. He is being charged " for inciting hatred."
"Dylan, 72, was informed of the charges while he was in Paris for three concerts -- a visit during which the French government also awarded him its prestigious Legion d'Honneur."
So they give him a award and then threaten to fine and arrest him for a comment made a year ago. Tell me if this is not going to far. Bob Dylan, who has fought against racial injustice his entire life, lets one comment slip and he is threatened with up to a year in a French prison.

http://news.yahoo.com/charged-dylan-told-apologise-over-alleged-racist-comments-113015981.html

Thank goodness we have the first Amendment in the US or this would be happening here, probably on a larger scale.
spendius

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 06:22 pm
@Jpsy,
The French wouldn't dare put Bob in jail.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 07:16 pm
Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination.

Vin Scully

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 09:06 pm
@Jpsy,
Jpsy wrote:

In the meantime I'll leave you with this article about extremely liberal Bob Dylan possibly facing jail time for having made a politically incorrect comment a year ago. He is being charged " for inciting hatred."
"Dylan, 72, was informed of the charges while he was in Paris for three concerts -- a visit during which the French government also awarded him its prestigious Legion d'Honneur."
So they give him a award and then threaten to fine and arrest him for a comment made a year ago. Tell me if this is not going to far. Bob Dylan, who has fought against racial injustice his entire life, lets one comment slip and he is threatened with up to a year in a French prison.

http://news.yahoo.com/charged-dylan-told-apologise-over-alleged-racist-comments-113015981.html

Thank goodness we have the first Amendment in the US or this would be happening here, probably on a larger scale.
That link does not work.
WHERE was he when he made that remark ??
Was he on French territory ???

Does anyone know ?

David
0 Replies