So....Will Biden Be VP?

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 04:12 pm
@sozobe,
Yeah, one could say Obama is so out of touch that he doesn't even know who he just picked to join him on his quest for the white house.

Or maybe it was a look at the behind closed door discussions.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 04:18 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
how I believe many may will react as they develop their choices. It is indeed a speculation, and merely my opinion of which, among the several likely possibilities, may come to dominate the process for most voters.

Hm. So it's how you "believe many may/will react as they develop their choices" or what "may come to dominate the process" for most voters, as one "among several likely possibilities". Well, okay..

Not what you said though. You were saying that this was an impression you believed "large numbers of potential voters already have about him." That's obviously not a belief that's borne out by the data.

I dunno. Why not just refrain from unsubstantiatable assertions in the first place, if you dont feel like checking 'em? {shrug}

"Random", btw, in its special nimh usage, applies to any opinion that doesnt seem to be based on anything but the poster's personal impressions. As in, "well I just got this feeling that it will rain tomorrow" --> random.
sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 05:46 pm
@nimh,
Just read this about Biden, thought it was interesting:

Quote:
But what has impressed me most, for years, is his staff. He knows how to pick ‘em, and that’s no small thing. Brilliant people come and go in DC, but rarely do they also have the ability to pick quality staff the way Biden does. His folks always are among the brightest from a policy standpoint, but also possess a sophisticated political acumen. It’s a rare but valuable combination. I’ve had the privilege of working for, and with, many of these folks, and count them among my friends. I’ve always gotten the sense that their boss respected them for their abilities and listened to their ideas rather then them simply having to implement his. They were encouraged to push hard and dig deep on issues. They were challenged by Biden, but in a good way. The Boss reads, talks to experts, and asks questions. He challenges his staff and calls them to the carpet. Why? Because the most important thing is to get the answer right and to be honest about the challenges we face.

As a result of having a staff that is so good, Biden is almost never behind the curve of policy developments. He’s proactive, not reactive.That’s a huge strategic advantage, and as a result, becoming a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee is a badge of validation among foreign policy folks. Further than that, you’ll hear from many foreign policy experts how closely they work with Biden. They’re not making it up. Biden counts on a broad range of people to get the job done right. Many, many people feel they have influence on his approach and as a result when the final product is announced, they feel invested, but the view is all Biden, and usually better. Biden collects the best. Simple as that.

This translates in a big way to an executive branch position. If Obama-Biden is the winning ticket, lots of people will be brought in to reverse the reckless policies of the past 7 years and put America on the right track. With such a small window of time and so much to do, picking the right people is critical. Biden recognizes talent, and has learned how to pick people with sound policy judgment but who can also navigate the interagency, and the multiple political roadblocks thrown in the path of even the purest of intentions. This could be his greatest contribution to an Obama administration.

If Obama-Biden takes command on January 20, it will be with the most talented people available to implement what needs to be done, not just the people who campaigned well.

http://www.democracyarsenal.org/2008/08/biden-people.html

(Found it via Hilzoy.)
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 05:56 pm
@georgeob1,
Wrong George. This rebuttal has become a popular way to neutralize the simple fact that latent bigotry will have some impact on voting. You present it more eloquently than most, but it's still bullshit.
georgeob1 wrote:

A persuasive and appealing post up until you wrote this;
occom bill wrote:
All together; I think it will prove a sufficiently strong ticket to overcome the latent bigotry that so few want to acknowledge.

You are here demonstrating precisely the same unfounded prejudgements of the intents and motives of others of which you accuse them.
Precisely the same unfounded prejudgments my ass.
One (mine) is a rational recognition of a simple matter of fact (latent bigotry). The other is an irrational decision based on irrational bigotry. They are not even remotely similar, George, let alone "precisely the same."

Your defense amounts to a somewhat complicated straw man: Someone points out that some portion of the anti-Obama crowd are bigots... and that this will need to be overcome to win. This is a simple matter of fact, George. You race in to show that it is presumptive and false to accuse all anti-Obama people of being bigots. This is true, of course, but I've yet to see anyone present that argument, save righties like yourself erecting straw men in order to bury the simple truth that latent bigotry is advantageous to the McCain campaign.

I find it offensive because you are essentially giving the bigots a pass in the process... and that was before you decided to compare my rational fear of latent bigotry to the irrational fears of the bigots themselves. Again; this is not even remotely similar, George, let alone "precisely the same."

In half the elections in my lifetime; a very small percentage of the electorate changing sides (be it for rational reason or something irrational like bigotry), would have been sufficient to sway these elections. This is a rational concern, George. It is not "precisely the same" type of reasoning employed by bigots. Correct yourself.
mysteryman

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 05:58 pm
Folks...it's time to put to bed Obama's campaign promise to change things. Too many examples have now come along to disprove that silly notion.

Too bad. I really had high hopes for him following his race speech some months back. I held out the hope that maybe, just this once, we had a new player on the scene.

No ******* way, as it has turned out.

Obama has criticized McCain as having served too long in the Senate...and thereby has become one of the entrenched powers that be. Obama wants to break that mold and go with new and fresh ideas.

So he picks Biden.

Who has been a Senator 14 years longer than McCain.

Go figure.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:05 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks/link/soz

I've watched Biden bloop over the years but I basically respect him. I think he has a wide association type mind with consequent mental agility, and like these two as associates. Need I mention in contrast to?

This means I have to order a new tee shirt. Did wear my obama one to shop and lunch the other day. Diane was wearing a political tee on a different subject. I figured at least we'd be shot together. Seriously, I rarely wear tees with even logos much less with someone's name, and probably won't do it often. Diane has more fun with tee shirts than I do. Perhaps she's more mature.

They are both right of me, but I'll never be president.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:46 pm
@mysteryman,
So, how many 'agents of change' have to be on the same ticket? Obama has a way he wants to go and he needs people who can get that job done. It isn't as if Biden will be setting policy; he's the 2nd in command. I understand that Cheney has screwed up what you consider normal, but most VPs do what the #1 says. Not the other way around.

I think that Biden, when given a job to do, will get that job done. That's what matters, more then his opinion on policy.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 07:03 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Too bad. I really had high hopes for him following his race speech some months back.

No you didnt. Unless you kept it a secret from us.

You kept an open mind about Obama rather than rejecting him out of hand like the other conservatives, and I respect that. You were sceptical, but you asked a lot of questions -- always at the verge of rejecting him, but still willing to hear out our arguments and be persuaded on this or that question that came up. And I respected that.

But "high hopes" -- no way, again, unless you kept it a secret. That sounds more like a rhetorical device - you know, the higher you play up his status a while back, the deeper he would now seem to have fallen. But we were there, remember? Wink
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 07:11 pm
@nimh,
It's a variation on the 'why isn't he destroying McCain?' meme - no matter how good Obama does, there will always be those claiming that he is behind, because he ought to be doing better.

These amateur concern trolls are funny Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 07:22 pm
@mysteryman,
I think MM is referring to his high hopes that Obama would pick Evan Bayh... though I am unconvinced that would have been sufficient.

So, we lost MM. But, I think once McCain taps Romney; we may have a shot at Lash's vote.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 07:26 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

Not what you said though. You were saying that this was an impression you believed "large numbers of potential voters already have about him." That's obviously not a belief that's borne out by the data.

I dunno. Why not just refrain from unsubstantiatable assertions in the first place, if you dont feel like checking 'em? {shrug}

Perhaps my post wasn't clear enough for you. I said that for those who already suspect that Obama may be higher on rhetoric than the ability to govern wisely, the choice of Biden as a running mate may end up reinforcing that impression, and therefore disadvantageous for him.

I don't think that is a far fetched guess at what may be a popular conception. You have already demonstrated that it cannot be tested one way or another in poll data (at least that which you quoted). Finally I offered the point only as my opinion, making no claim at all that I could - or intended to - prove it to be the case. Do you object to expressions of opinion here on A2K???? Or is only those with you happen to disagree??
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 07:53 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Wrong George. This rebuttal has become a popular way to neutralize the simple fact that latent bigotry will have some impact on voting. You present it more eloquently than most, but it's still bullshit.

....Precisely the same unfounded prejudgments my ass.
One (mine) is a rational recognition of a simple matter of fact (latent bigotry). The other is an irrational decision based on irrational bigotry. They are not even remotely similar, George, let alone "precisely the same."
Oh, I see, your (original) assertion that if Obama loses it will certainly be a result of the bigotry of the electorate is a rational insight into the motives of Americans, while my assertion, that this too involves the same prejudgement of the motives or worth of others, is necessarily irrational.

I simply don't agree.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Your defense amounts to a somewhat complicated straw man: Someone points out that some portion of the anti-Obama crowd are bigots... and that this will need to be overcome to win. This is a simple matter of fact, George. You race in to show that it is presumptive and false to accuse all anti-Obama people of being bigots. This is true, of course, but I've yet to see anyone present that argument, save righties like yourself erecting straw men in order to bury the simple truth that latent bigotry is advantageous to the McCain campaign.
In the first place I am not a "rightie": I am simply myself, and I believe it would be more decorous of you to resist the liberal application of such categorical labels to others. Someone might even accuse you of latent bigotry.

In the second, it is not at all evident that the net effect of "latent bigotry", both black and white, will yield a disadvantage to Obama. You postulated a very narrow margin in the result, using that to demonstrate the plausibility of your argument. Given the difference between the historical and the likely current distribution of the votes of blacks, such a difference could well be delivered by them. In short there are effects here that work both to his advantage and his disadvantage. Given the widespread and enthusiastic support for him, and the fact that so far it appears to follow the predictable political, economic and demographis lines in the electorate, I believe there is a very good case to be made for the proposition that racism is not a prominent issue in the campaign.

I did allow for the possibility of racism being offered as the reason for a defeat in an unusually narrow outcome, and the impossibility of proving the negative with respect to this or a host of other explanations for it. If you wish to retreat to that, then I can have no objection. However, I believe your rather broad prejudgement of actions not yet taken by American voters is unmerited.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
I find it offensive because you are essentially giving the bigots a pass in the process... and that was before you decided to compare my rational fear of latent bigotry to the irrational fears of the bigots themselves. Again; this is not even remotely similar, George, let alone "precisely the same."
I don't think I am giving anyone a pass. I am merely refraining from prejudging the intent of people in the case of actions they have not yet taken. It is conceivable that the outcome of the election could indicate that racism was a likely significant factor, based on some statistical analysis. In such a case I wouldn't deny it. However, I don't think it appropriate to assert in advance that, if Obama loses, racism is the necessary explanation. THAT IS irrational.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
In half the elections in my lifetime; a very small percentage of the electorate changing sides (be it for rational reason or something irrational like bigotry), would have been sufficient to sway these elections. This is a rational concern, George.
Here I agree. However in each of these close elections it has been impossibble to pin down with even overwhelming confidence (if not certainty) exactly what were the motivatiuonal factors that determined the result. You are postulating that the motives are knowable in advance.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
It is not "precisely the same" type of reasoning employed by bigots. Correct yourself.

OK, it is not "precisely" the same type of reasoning: I stand corrected. However it is damn close.
okie

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 08:38 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

All together; I think it will prove a sufficiently strong ticket to overcome the latent bigotry that so few want to acknowledge.
GObama!

Typical Bill, open mouth, accuse somebody of his obsession, racism or bigotry, he almost never misses an opportunity.
Lash

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 09:20 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Laughing out loud...and yep. You can almost stick a fork in it
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 10:04 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Oh, I see, your (original) assertion that if Obama loses it will certainly be a result of the bigotry of the electorate is a rational insight into the motives of Americans, while my assertion, that this too involves the same prejudgement of the motives or worth of others, is necessarily irrational.
Why are you insisting on sticking with this straw man fantasy? Care to quote where my "...(original) assertion that if Obama loses it will certainly be a result of the bigotry..."? No. You don't... because I never made it, and you damn well know it (I quoted what I did write in my last post). Hell; here it is again, George.

Quote:
You can not reasonably extrapolate your straw man from this statement, George. It is possible that enough extra black voters will get out and vote and offset the bigot vote (hell, I intend to do that very thing myself)... but that would be a factor in overcoming the bigot vote. It doesn't erase it. Any way you slice it; there will be a bigot vote. You can accept this simple matter of fact or not... but there is nothing rational about denying it. That being the case; it can only be considered a rational worry. Further complicating your straw man will not change this simple matter of fact. Whether Obama wins or loses; it requires deliberately obtuse denial to pretend latent bigotry will not have been a factor.

There is no debate between us that measuring this will be impossible. But neither should there be any debate that bigotry will be a factor to some extent.

georgeob1 wrote:
I simply don't agree.
Simple, yes… but you’re trying to obscure it with complications.

georgeob1 wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
In the first place I am not a "rightie": I am simply myself, and I believe it would be more decorous of you to resist the liberal application of such categorical labels to others. Someone might even accuse you of latent bigotry.

I do not attach any judgment whatsoever to terms like lefty, righty, liberal, etc and use them only to identify political leanings. My apologies if you took offence to "righties" and assure you no offense was intended.

georgeob1 wrote:
In the second, it is not at all evident that the net effect of "latent bigotry", both black and white, will yield a disadvantage to Obama. You postulated a very narrow margin in the result, using that to demonstrate the plausibility of your argument. Given the difference between the historical and the likely current distribution of the votes of blacks, such a difference could well be delivered by them. In short there are effects here that work both to his advantage and his disadvantage. Given the widespread and enthusiastic support for him, and the fact that so far it appears to follow the predictable political, economic and demographis lines in the electorate, I believe there is a very good case to be made for the proposition that racism is not a prominent issue in the campaign.
It matters little whether racism is a prominent issue. There will be a bigot vote and Obama will need to overcome it to win. This remains a simple matter of fact.

georgeob1 wrote:
I did allow for the possibility of racism being offered as the reason for a defeat in an unusually narrow outcome, and the impossibility of proving the negative with respect to this or a host of other explanations for it. If you wish to retreat to that, then I can have no objection.
Laughing You are being ridiculous George. There is no retreat required on my part to meet you there. None.
georgeob1 wrote:
However, I believe your rather broad prejudgement of actions not yet taken by American voters is unmerited.
Laughing I made no broad prejudgment of actions not yet taken, beyond pointing out some bigots will vote against Obama because he's got dark skin. This remains a simple matter of fact.
georgeob1 wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I don't think I am giving anyone a pass. I am merely refraining from prejudging the intent of people in the case of actions they have not yet taken. It is conceivable that the outcome of the election could indicate that racism was a likely significant factor, based on some statistical analysis. In such a case I wouldn't deny it. However, I don't think it appropriate to assert in advance that, if Obama loses, racism is the necessary explanation. THAT IS irrational.
YES IT WOULD BE. I'll join you in denouncing such a silly statement if anyone makes it. Meanwhile; it will remain your straw man.

georgeob1 wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
In half the elections in my lifetime; a very small percentage of the electorate changing sides (be it for rational reason or something irrational like bigotry), would have been sufficient to sway these elections. This is a rational concern, George.
Here I agree. However in each of these close elections it has been impossibble to pin down with even overwhelming confidence (if not certainty) exactly what were the motivatiuonal factors that determined the result. You are postulating that the motives are knowable in advance.
Nonsense. Your straw man has me postulating that. I've not used even "overwhelming confidence" let alone certainty… beyond being overwhelmingly confident to the point of certainty that bigots will participate in November.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
It is not "precisely the same" type of reasoning employed by bigots. Correct yourself.

OK, it is not "precisely" the same type of reasoning: I stand corrected. However it is damn close.
[/quote] Rolling Eyes Hate to use the rollers on you George, but you really are being ridiculous.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 10:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cool.

Obama's speech introducing Biden just now was no letdown at all - he created a powerful narrative for why he chose him. Now, let's see if Joe Biden can follow it up with another good speech; it will be important for him to do so.

Ccloptichorn

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/08/23/obama-biden-make-first-appearance-together-as-running-mates/

"There were a couple humorous stumbles during the Illinois rally. Obama referred to Biden as “the next president,” and Biden introduced Obama as “Barack America.”

Powerful speech, cyclops? ha ha.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 10:16 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

GObama!

Typical Bill, open mouth, accuse somebody of his obsession, racism or bigotry, he almost never misses an opportunity.
At no point have I ever accused George of racism or bigotry, moron. Even as stupid as you are; you should be able to admit racists and bigots will be voting in November.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 10:21 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Laughing out loud...and yep. You can almost stick a fork in it
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 10:39 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

At no point have I ever accused George of racism or bigotry, moron. Even as stupid as you are; you should be able to admit racists and bigots will be voting in November.

You see racists and bigots everywhere, Bill. So you haven't accused George, at least you claim to not have, but have plenty of other people around here. Now you add the terms moron, and stupid to your list of accusations. Not the first time on those terms either.

So when Obama loses, it will be because of racism and bigotry, is that your brilliant conclusion? So why did Kerry lose? And why did Gore lose? Let us all know when you figure out how racism or bigotry defeated them as well. Or maybe it was just a bunch of morons or stupid people that voted for Bush?

Try to come up with some other subject, Bill, just try it just once, something other than racism and bigotry. Obsessions are not healthy, for such a brilliant and enlightened person that you apparently are, as anyone that disagrees with you is a moron or stupid, besides being a racist and a bigot.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 10:54 pm
@okie,
This is going to be interesting. Biden basically has said Obama is not ready to be president, and then essentially endorsed McCain. So why is he changing his mind now?

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/08/mccain_campaign_turns_bidens_w.php
0 Replies