I have two questions about this new site

boomerang

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 08:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
Blahblahblah. You're just silly.

I refer some crossword junkies to this site and if they can't easily find the questions without signing up and voting and so on then I'll stop telling them to check here.

Seriously, get a grip.

0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 09:14 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:

they get the "below threshold", and while they can click it and use it they will get the message that this is the sort of thing that is not wanted here.

only if they sort by Most Votes...

as Robert Gentel pointed out, only if you have no-collapse in your preferences, but if you do & sort by most replies, voila! all the disparaged trivia threads will appear. Very Happy
ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 09:20 pm
@yitwail,
Quote:
only if you have no-collapse in your preferences

that'd be fine if no-collapse was the default, tho I can't recall what it was/is.

hawkeye's got a point, though I only discovered it when someone quoted it Cool ( boomer's comments have really made that clear for me)
yitwail

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 09:22 pm
@ehBeth,
thought no-collapse is default, but not sure either
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 11:15 pm
@yitwail,
Yes, an ignore thread button would solve a major decorum issue I am having....mainly revolving around the "word/puzzle" threads. I'd rather they disappear from my view in a way that does not hinder or create an ill effect towards others.
yitwail

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 11:23 pm
@2PacksAday,
it's nice of you to be concerned with decorum...but as it stands, there are many who don't seem to have such misgivings & vote down threads with abandon. i've adjusted and so have many of the regulars in those threads, but it could discourage newcomers or the occasional visitors, which might be the intent behind the system--if so, it remains to be seen if the system works.
Letty

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:48 am
@yitwail,
I agree, yitwail, and furthermore, it has discouraged many regulars. I noticed that shewolfn's test thread had been given a negative one. I didn't understand that.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 09:17 am
@Mame,
What would be ideal is if you could collapse the thread on your own log in but it still appears normally to everyone else on theirs. That way nobody has to click it to get it up (expand it). Like the ignore user feature, but for threads. I don't want to insult anyone, but I also don't want to see so many threads.

And this scrolling is a pain because of the large amount of space now within the posts themselves. A Next Post button would be so much more efficient. I don't know why it wouldn't be possible because you click everything else on this site. But what do I know about coding - zip.

The rating system numbers are irrelevant to me - I don't see what good they do for anyone; rather, they seem to be causing some dissension and anxiety.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 09:27 am
The whole thing of 'voting down' still bugs me despite all the explanations offered in defense of it. When there is absolutely no distinction between 'disapproval' and 'lack of interest' there is no way to know which is being expressed. I would think this would have a chilling effect on newbies who saw their thread--one that probably would have attracted modest interest--receiving massive negative votes immediately.

We'll all adjust eventually I think.
McTag

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:03 am

I'm with Mame on this.

I think if we got to vote for "Votes" then we would vote it out.

Power to the people.

Smile
Mame

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:29 am
@McTag,
Quote:
Power to the people.

Laughing
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 04:03 pm
@Foxfyre,
foxfire wrote :

Quote:
The whole thing of 'voting down' still bugs me despite all the explanations offered in defense of it. When there is absolutely no distinction between 'disapproval' and 'lack of interest' there is no way to know which is being expressed. I would think this would have a chilling effect on newbies who saw their thread--one that probably would have attracted modest interest--receiving massive negative votes immediately.

i fully agree with foxfire !!!
if this feature would have been available when i started posting on a2k ,
i don't think i would have lasted long .
are a2k'ers really so busy that they can't simply bypass posters or threads they don't care for ?
if some users feel so strongly about keeping "their" version" of a2k free from just "run-of-the-mill" users , perhaps they need their own separate website so they don't have to associate with "the ordinary people" .

as mctag said : "POWER TO THE PEOPLE ! "
hbg

(i'm beginning to understand what the "untouchables" must feel like )
ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 04:06 pm
@hamburger,
take a look over here to read about where the next round/s of programming may take this

http://able2know.org/topic/121173-2#post-3365171

I think it looks quite good (and a good discussion in general over there).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 06:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Why not just put it back the way it was?

This is horrible Craven. It's beneath you.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:07 pm
@cjhsa,
Quote:
It's beneath you.

It's over your head.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:10 pm
@cjhsa,
http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Everything_Else/Doors_and_Gates/Dungeon_door.gif
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:15 pm
@cjhsa,
shooter, ain't it damn near killin' and grillin' season in yer woods?

(yer gonna have to get used to no A2K vacations, I think...)
0 Replies