Suggestion: Open (not anonymous) thread voting.

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:44 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:
I see so I am not allowed to have a gripe with her words?

Sure you are. But I'm allowed to think your gripe was less valuable content than some of your other stuff right? That's all my vote means, I didn't think it was as constructive as other stuff I'd rather see.

Quote:
What if it was your gripe with a radical right wing preacher... should we be afraid to voice our concerns?

I don't see why unless you care a lot about that number, and if you do you could probably figure out what makes it happen the way it does and voice your concerns in a way that is more apt to be appreciated.

For example, if I start a politics thread with two words: "abortion" (the title) and "discuss" (the body) people might vote it down because it lacks substance, not because they don't want me to discuss abortion or disagree with my position on it. I think most people will vote up topics that are about something that is interesting to them and that is more substantial than average. And I think they will vote things down that are on topics that are not interesting to them (even if it's substantial) but even more with topics that are not substantial.

So for me, discussing "why Michelle Obama has hated America for 40 years" seemed more partisan and lacking in substance than a thread like "What effect will Michelle Obama's words have on Obama's campaign" would be.
RexRed

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:45 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
old europe wrote:
I also think that this thread illustrates quite nicely what possible consequences an open rating system would have...

Sozbe wrote:
No kidding! I almost wonder if RexRed was satirically making a point... [squints at RexRed]

I am willing to personally stand by my votes how about you?
Thomas

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:48 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
If my stuff gets pummeled anymore it will just drive me alternatively to largely conservative site... then you dems can all sit here and just ignorantly nod your heads at your own lunacy.. Forget about diversity when there is a liberal monopoly here as it is.

See, this is where you're in error. Even if there was a liberal monopoly on A2K, and even if no liberal was interested in interchanges with thoughtful conservatives, the new A2K has several safeguards built in that prevent evil liberals from crushing innocent conservative opinions simply because they don't like them.

- Conservatives or independents who want to read your post can bookmark them by tagging them with whatever keyword works for them. They can then follow their keywords under "my tags".

- Conservatives or Independents who like your posts can vote them up. Indeed, they do so automatically if and when they tag them.

- Once the no_wrapping option works, liberals voting you down has no effect at all on how readers see your posts -- unless those readers choose to sort threads in order of popularity.

Your only shot at losing everyone's attention is to write posts that noone wants to read -- liberal, independent, or conservative. And in that case, I frankly don't see why you shouldn't lose everyone's attention.

But if none of this convinces you -- don't forget to ask Jespah for your money back on your way out.
Robert Gentel

@RexRed,
I am too RexRed. I just explained one of mine to you at length. I am not, however, interested in having public voting history both because it is useless and because the people who would use it would be people who care inordinately about the voting and would be likely to use it negatively.

Hell, if you were to take it too personally, for example, you might start following me around and harassing me for voting something of yours down that I wasn't interested in.

I don't mind standing by my vote but I just don't think it's useful to have such a feature and think it could potentially be a lot worse to.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

@ossobuco,
Quote:
I don't know about Dolts, but I think some people who only follow one forum, or even mostly one or two or three threads are more readily seeing this as primarily some kind of hurtful thing. I'll go further and guess that many haven't followed all of the discussions on voting over the last few days, that made the clean-up aspect particularly clear.
That's fair enough for newbies and occasional users... but how long should it take active folks like Ebrown or Cyclo to get their head around it? Newbies will ask, and old timers will explain... just as it's always been about everything.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:50 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
don't forget to ask Jespah for your money back on your way out.

Sweet! In the future, I'm gonna borrow that line with no attribution.
0 Replies

RexRed

@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I don't see why unless you care a lot about that number, and if you do you could probably figure out what makes it happen the way it does and voice your concerns in a way that is more apt to be appreciated.

I an not here to win a beauty contest or sugar coat the inexplicable... I am here to resolve, restore faith and sometimes fight the good cause for principles dear to me.
old europe

@RexRed,
Quote:
Funny that was my only thread pushed out of the way.

Maybe I will exclusively write there for a spell considering that most (adjective) people will be oblivious to its presence now...

Well, you're just guessing at why people voted down your thread. I'd say it can't be about you, cause I see that the Homosexual Role Model thread isn't rated down like that.

Maybe people have simply heard enough about Michelle Obama. Maybe people didn't like the negative tone (and yeah, that's merely a personal judgement) of the thread title.

Yes, maybe it's because people hate you or because all the "dems" voted down your thread. Collectively. I don't see a reason for that assumption, as other critical threads (from the Left side of the aisle point of view) are still up there, and as other threads you have started have not been voted down.

My point is: you're just guessing. You may be guessing right. You may be guessing wrong. I just don't see the number on a particular thread as something to get worked up over....
DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:53 pm
@RexRed,
<wonders how many people Rex secretly has on "ignore.">
RexRed

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:54 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
Well, you're just guessing at why people voted down your thread. I'd say it can't be about you, cause I see that the Homosexual Role Model thread isn't rated down like that.

Maybe people have simply heard enough about Michelle Obama. Maybe people didn't like the negative tone (and yeah, that's merely a personal judgement) of the thread title.

Yes, maybe it's because people hate you or because all the "dems" voted down your thread. Collectively. I don't see a reason for that assumption, as other critical threads (from the Left side of the aisle point of view) are still up there, and as other threads you have started have not been voted down.

My point is: you're just guessing. You may be guessing right. You may be guessing wrong. I just don't see the number on a particular thread as something to get worked up over....

Well, I am sorry for making the post now... screw America...
old europe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:54 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:
I an not here to win a beauty contest or sugar coat the inexplicable... I am here to resolve, restore faith and sometimes fight the good cause for principles dear to me.

In that case, a tiny number on a thread you started should throw you completely off track, should it?
OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:55 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:
Funny that was my only thread pushed out of the way.

Maybe I will exclusively write there for a spell considering that most (adjective) people will be oblivious to its presence now...

Now that's using your noggin!
RexRed

@DrewDad,
Quote:
<wonders how many people Rex secretly has on "ignore.">
No one on ignore either, YET... Smile
0 Replies

old europe

@RexRed,
Quote:
Well, I am sorry for making the post now... screw America...

Rolling Eyes

Right. Screw America. A2K introduced a rating system. This is the beginning of the end.
old europe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:56 pm
@old europe,
And I'm not even an American...

Very Happy
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 03:00 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
In that case, a tiny number on a thread you started should throw you completely off track, should it?

It still would be nice to know who your friends are. Who would go out on a limb to vote down your thought out words.

I have feelings too, even though I am the lizard man from the bottomless pit... :p

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 03:01 pm
@ebrown p,
I think you're assigning waaaaay too much importance to this whole voting issue. People could vote down because they don't want their list cluttered, simple as that. I never pay attention to the numbers because they're irrelevant to me. Just ignore them. People will only take it as an attack if they're paranoid.

I voted down a whole bunch of game and politics posts - does that mean all those people think I don't like them? How ridiculous. It's because I have no interest in scrolling past 10 in a row.

I'd rather see a negative number on a thread than a shitty comment from someone, so if those are the options, I vote for the rating/voting system.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 03:01 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:

So take the voting feedback and you'll fight your fight more efficiently (more substance, better headlines, better editing etc). Or ignore them and it won't change what you do.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 03:02 pm
@DrewDad,
So, are you just actively trying to be a jerk these days? Seriously.

I am trying to point out something that is a concern to me, not trying to force everyone to bend to my will. Part of the discussion process is that different people will have different opinions about the functions of the site or their usefulness.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 03:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I have a three-year-old. That kinda fills up my tolerance for whining.

I have no problem with reading a well-thought argument, and taking the good points from it.

Make a case for why voting should be done your way instead of Craven's, and I'll happily read it, agree or disagree on the merits, and share my thoughts.

But shrill shouts of "it should be done my way 'CAUSE THAT'S THE WAY I WANT IT!" will get nothing but derision from me.