Suggestion: Open (not anonymous) thread voting.

DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:18 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
[Some rant that was completely off topic]
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:18 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

People aren't going to be able to give up their instinctive responses.

I just told you I did. Sozobe gave Phoenix as another example. So maybe Craven's instincts in the matter were correct, and maybe it's you who needs to update his preconceived notions of what "people are going to be able to".

Count me in the quietly skeptical turned fan crowd too!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:20 pm
@RexRed,
Ok, I'll tell you why I'd vote that one down (if I haven't already):

It's because the thread title says that Michelle Obama has hated America for 40 years, and I find that hyperbolic to the point of being dishonest. I prefer less partisan political threads and would want to avoid the ones that are just about tarring and feathering.

I thought people were misreading homophobia into your Homosexual Role Models thread and thought it was a more thoughtful attempt at discussion and voted it up.

I'd vote on those, based on what I see as very different substance (to me, of course) and it's not you or your politics that will influence it.
RexRed

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:23 pm
@sozobe,
Maybe people will use an OPEN rating system with a bit more couth rather than petty motives. People should openly stand by their votes if it means so much to cast them.
sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:24 pm
@RexRed,
That's precisely the point though -- it doesn't necessarily "mean so much." But some people will take it personally anyway, and impugn the motives of the voter, and we're off...
RexRed

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:26 pm
@sozobe,
Umm... should a vote down not be taken PERSONALLY?
DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:26 pm
@RexRed,
Alternately, you could take the feedback and stop being so pissy, shrill, assinine, and generally unpleasant.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:27 pm
@RexRed,
That is correct. A vote down should not be taken personally.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:27 pm
@RexRed,
This is addressed pretty well on the first page of this topic. (Short answer -- sometimes yes, often no.)
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:30 pm
If my stuff gets pummeled anymore it will just drive me alternatively to largely conservative site... then you dems can all sit here and just ignorantly nod your heads at your own lunacy.. Forget about diversity when there is a liberal monopoly here as it is.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:31 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
[Screw you guys. Ah. Am Going. Home!]

You won't be the first, and you wont be the last. Cya....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:32 pm
@DrewDad,
OMGZ!!!1!!1one!!!!

You guys voted me down!

<sob>

I hate you all!!!!!
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:33 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Rating system depends on many users to be effective --> removing anonymity means fewer people will use it --> rating system will be less effective.

Ha! You've summed it up rather prettily!

I also think that this thread illustrates quite nicely what possible consequences an open rating system would have...
wandeljw

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:34 pm
@RexRed,
It is never a good idea to "read too much into" something, especially the thumbs voting.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:34 pm
@RexRed,
But maybe the only people who would really care enough to browse posting history would be vindictive petty folk. I don't care who voted for me, and I think if I did I'd probably be a little too obsessed about the voting to be using it positively (for myself or the community).

Ultimately what makes something like this work is more people using it positively than negatively. No amount of telling people how to vote or trying to dissect the finer points of mob rule is going to make any difference.

It's all in the mob. Crowdsourcing only works if the crowd is a good one. You can tell people how to vote but you can't expect that to make much difference. You need good use to constitute the statistical norm and then use algorithmic and technical solutions to minimize the effect of the disruptive pattern.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:36 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I see so I am not allowed to have a gripe with her words? What if it was your gripe with a radical right wing preacher... should we be afraid to voice our concerns? I might actually in that case vote your concerns up because I am a fair minded free thinker. ...Unlike those who have allowed no room for my concerns.
sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:37 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:
I also think that this thread illustrates quite nicely what possible consequences an open rating system would have...

No kidding! I almost wonder if RexRed was satirically making a point... [squints at RexRed]
old europe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:38 pm
@RexRed,
Why do you think that only "dems" voted down a particular thread? Maybe it was just a bunch of people who wanted to get the thread out of their way, because they were not interested in the topic.

Look at all the word games threads. They've been rated down by double digits. Who do you think is the mysterious group that is responsible for that? Republicans? Europeans? The Thing That Came from Beneath the Sea?

Or just a bunch of people who were not particularly interested in seeing the word games up there on the first page all the time?
RexRed

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:43 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
Why do you think that only "dems" voted down a particular thread? Maybe it was just a bunch of people who wanted to get the thread out of their way, because they were not interested in the topic.

Look at all the word games threads. They've been rated down by double digits. Who do you think is the mysterious groups that is responsible for that? Republicans? Europeans? The Thing That Came from Beneath the Sea?

Or just a bunch of people who were not particularly interested in seeing the word games up there on the first page all the time?

Funny that was my only thread pushed out of the way.

Maybe I will exclusively write there for a spell considering that most (adjective) people will be oblivious to its presence now...
DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:43 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:
should we be afraid to voice our concerns?

Er... what part of getting voted down is a cause for fear? Nobody's gonna get stabbed if their thread reaches -20.
0 Replies