Motorcycle Riders Here?

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:10 am
I ride a 2007 ninja 250. Many people say that its too small to be considered a 'real' bike, and consider it to be a joke. However I don't think they could be more wrong.

I got it used with less then 1000 miles on it, and i only paid $2600. Never been laid down, or anything like that. I accelerate excessively the vast majority of the time, and I still get ~60mpg on it.

I don't have a need for more power, considering its rare to pull up next to a car that I couldn't beat off the line. It tops out around 100mph, which is fast enough for me. I use it as a commuter, and usually don't have the need for interstate driving. This is my first summer with a street bike, and I'm loving it.

roger

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:21 am
@Nick Ashley,
No motor on my bike, but I've a friend who had a Ninja. He felt like he needed more power just for safety in traffic, and was really bummed with the frequent chain adjustments he thought he needed.

Be safe out there, and remember you're not as visible as you might think you are.
dlowan

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:39 am
@Nick Ashley,
They're fun, aren't they?

Until you crash...but that's another story....

The whole experience is so different.

I loved it when motorcycles were a big part of my life...but they were the big, unruly beasts my fella rode....

But the little street bikes are way fun.
Nick Ashley

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:47 am
@roger,
Oh, I try to be as careful as I can. Of course motorcycles are more dangerous then cars, but proper training, good reflexes, and obeying laws drastically reduces the danger. An overwhelming number of motorcycle crashes are the riders fault.

Nothing against your friend, but IMHO a 250 has more then enough power in traffic. I've heard that argument before, but it sounds more like an excuse to me. People argue that if someone tries to sideswipe you, you need the extra power to get out of the way. It is rare that a car comes ALL the way into the lane still without seeing you. I feel its more safe to hug the line, and possibly speed up (if there is nobody ahead of you) but you don't need the speed of a bigger bike to do this. More often then not people will OVERreact, speed up way to much, and then be screwed when the car in front of them slams on their brakes.

You never hear people argue the more power = more safety issue for cars, so I think its funny to hear it for motorcycles. "We had to get the new ferrari. Our son just got his drivers license, and he needs the extra speed so he is safe in traffic"
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:51 am
@Nick Ashley,
Actually, I hear the more power argument for cars. Hell I even subscribe to it.

Sometimes I've driven a weak rental and have been pulling past someone only to realize the car doesn't have enough acceleration to do it safely. I've been in a number of spots where I thought that having some extra pickup would have made it less hairy.

Like the time I was looking at a trucker's wide open eyes right in front of him as some ass sped up to not let me by after keeping me behind him for a few miles. I wanted to be able to go much faster right then, and if my car was any weaker I'd have met the truck head on (had about 10 yards max).
Nick Ashley

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:51 am
@dlowan,
Yeah, my dad rides big cruiser bikes. He just bought a Honda 1300. that's more then 5 times the engine of my bike! He never rode the Harleys though, he HATES them (says that they are overpriced, with old technology. With a honda you get it cheaper, and get a better engine, with fuel injection and such)

He has had a big crash, also. Hit a deer on a country rode when he was a teenager. Flipped him over the handlebars (and deer) but he was able to slow himself down enough first to not get too injured.

I wouldn't mind a cruiser bike if I went on long trips, but for in town i think a crotch rocket is the way to go. After about 45 minutes though, I'm ready to be done.
roger

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:52 am
@Nick Ashley,
Probably true. The number of bikes you need remains N+1, where N = the number you already have. When you're ready, one excuse is as good as another.
roger

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:54 am
@roger,
Sure a Harley is overpriced, but it's real loud.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 02:05 am
@Nick Ashley,
Yep....I spoke of the beasts like the Kwaka 750 and such...the real tetchy beasts....my ex was a road bike racer, and I do admit to loving the beast and the sheer power and speed.

The cruise bikes are fantastic, but very different......like heavy horses next to the thoroughbreds.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 02:05 am
@Robert Gentel,
Ehh, I don't buy it. In the case of the rental car, it was a car you were unfamiliar with, and that was the problem. Had you known what the car was capable of, you would have picked a different spot to merge. But don't get me wrong, I agree at some point to little power becomes more dangerous. I could even buy that a crappy rental falls under that category.

However, it doesn't apply to 250's. Mine can go 0-60 in under 6 seconds, and does the 1/4 mile in under 15. That competes with mid-range sports cars.

As for the truck situation, I wasn't there, but it sounds like you were passing a guy on a 2 lane road. More then likely, slamming on your breaks and getting over would have been faster then out-accelerating him. Especially if he was purposely trying to not let you over. After all, someone else can always have a faster car then you, so you could always get in that situation. It sounds like you just wanted to pass him because you wanted to go faster then him, and he was an ass that wouldn't let you. In your shoes I'd do the same thing.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 02:11 am
@Nick Ashley,
Quote:
In the case of the rental car, it was a car you were unfamiliar with, and that was the problem.

I think I had a lot of fault in each of them, but there's conceivably situations I could get in that aren't my fault where the pickup would get me out of danger.
Quote:

However, it doesn't apply to 250's. Mine can go 0-60 in under 6 seconds, and does the 1/4 mile in under 15. That competes with mid-range sports cars.

That makes sense to me, I think almost any bike has enough maneuverability to get out of the kind of jams I was talking about. I agree and actually think the argument makes more sense for cars than bikes.

Quote:
As for the truck situation, I wasn't there, but it sounds like you were passing a guy on a 2 lane road. More then likely, slamming on your breaks and getting over would have been faster then out-accelerating him.

There were people behind me tailgating (angry at the guy in front of me) who moved into my spot. I couldn't count on them making room for me in time, but I'd certainly prefer the brakes to the gas if it were an option.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:40 am
@Nick Ashley,
Quote:
After about 45 minutes though, I'm ready to be done.

Mumpad thinks thats funny, my advice is to sit your girl in front of you - pressed up against the tank - and go for a spin, - worked more than once for me. Very Happy

I had several bikes Honda XL 350 (road trail) A bitzer rebuild my brother got from somewhere and a Honda VT 250 road. like you I liked the VT in city traffic.

I gave up riding when the baby in my wifes tummy started kicking me in the back, but am reconsidering now the kids are off our hands.
I'll have to join the http://www.ulyssesclub.org/Default.asp motor cycle club though.
dadpad

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:50 am
@dadpad,
Brother in law on his Ducatti 999R
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/dadpad/online%20photos/Andrew2.jpg
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:16 am
@Nick Ashley,
My first and only bike was a Kawasaki six fifty gpz. Had the four carburators, and factory Krakor headers. It was beauitful. The original paint on the gas tank, was customized by sunlight fading it, time, and twenty plus years of spilled gas. One of a kind.
The bike met its demise when left alone with wife during a garage sale. Set out this spring to purchase a bike. I really wanted a bike. Had a pocketful.
I decided not to be hasty. Still nada in the garage.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:53 am
@Nick Ashley,
Random anecdote that I was thinking of putting in "What Made You Smile Today":

I was driving on a really nice stretch of road by the river here, on a beautiful day. There was a motorcyclist ahead of me -- I can't tell makes of motorcycles on sight and I never saw a label but I'd guess it was Japanese. Smallish, cool-looking. The guy riding it had one of those fancy leather jackets, color-blocked (mostly black though), and a fancy full helmet (couldn't see his face at all), and cool jeans, and cool boots. Never saw any distinguishing features -- he even had gloves on I think -- but I assumed he was a guy in his mid-20's, a newly good job (everything looked pretty new), maybe in a creative or computer field.

After a while, another motorcycle guy came up behind both of us. (Motorcycle guy #1 was going about the same speed as me so I stayed behind him for a while.) Motorcycle guy #2 was riding something much bigger -- I'd guess a Harley. He was in his mid 50's/ early 60's. Lots of facial hair. A much smaller helmet perched on his head -- looked like it was from World War II (not literally, but the style). Some sort of 80's vented vest going on. Shirt sleeves. Regular pants. Old shoes.

A light ahead of us turned red. MG #1 stopped first. MG #2 pulled in next to him, a bit behind them. I wondered if there would be a "Brotherhood of the briar"-type manly recognition of solidarity, and sure enough MG #2 looked at #1, and #1 obligingly turned and made eye contact. #2 did a Manly Nod. #1 raised his hand and did this middle school "oh hi!" sort of wave.

#2 looked appalled.
Wilso

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 08:57 am
@Nick Ashley,
Former motorcycle rider here. I had 96 Honda CBR600. Loved it, but it got too expensive to own when my marriage was approaching, considering that I didn't use it that much.

A modern 250 should have more than enough power for city riding. In fact their light weight, easy handling and agility, they're probably safer in traffic than a big bike.

BTW, the only difference between a Harley and a Hoover is the position of the dirt bag!
Nick Ashley

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 09:54 am
@sozobe,
You will love this, sozobe. Be sure to check out the "Noob wave" and "Noob wave advanced"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SloT-TahbiQ
Nick Ashley

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 09:59 am
@Wilso,
Oh, that's another plus to a 250 I forgot to mention. Insurance companies (at least here) group everything under 250cc in the same class. That means that the insurance is really cheap, same as insuring a moped. I don't remember the terms of my insurance, but I know it's year round, $100 decuctable for around $150/year. Not bad at all!

By the way, I just wanted to clarify that I don't think it's stupid at all to get a larger bike. If you want it, and you can afford it, go for it. I just think its stupid when people suggest that other people need a bigger bike as well.
Chumly

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 11:34 am
I've toured a goodly portion of North America a number of times; "what along strange trips it's been".

My motorcycle skills are centered on understanding the conditions, motorcycle mechanics and riding technique.

Most people most of the time put way too much emphasis on what you ride.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 11:40 am
@Nick Ashley,
Hey, that's #1!! Exactly what he looked like. His noob wave was a little bit more sideways, but otherwise, yeah, that's it.
0 Replies