New A2K Coolnesses

Thomas

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 08:41 am
After trying something Sozobe described in an other thread, I could begin to see the coolness of tagging. Tags will definitely relieve the moderators of so much work. (By the way, modertors: thanks for having put in all that work for all those years!)

Sort the homepage by "most voted", look at the last page, and -- abracadabra! -- here's a bunch of spam, right there at the bottom, ready to be swiped into the dustbin in one quick move. No more searching through the list for the moderators. No more loop through the reporting process for anyone.

There is also a number of threads down there that are legitimate, but emotional and strongly worded. So they were voted down by people who apparently don't distinguish between "I disagree with you" and "you're out of line". These threads, too, are right there in a neat package just above the spam, ready to be voted up by Robin Hood / Devil's Advocate types like myself.

Very neat!
Thomas

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 08:45 am
On a more superficial note: I like that you now set the body text in a serif font (Georgia, I guess), and that you're reserving the sans serif fonts for headings, buttons, and the like. It makes the threads easier to read for me.
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 08:52 am
@Thomas,
I love the new typefont, and the general clean look of the site.
dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 08:54 am
@Borat Sister,
I like the bunnies bum
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 05:51 pm
@dagmaraka,
dag wrote-

Quote:
NOTHING is fast with windows vista.

Oh--I don't know.

I was pretty nifty in my prime at shinning up a drainpipe to catch a vista of Elsie putting her stockings on in the window.

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 12:21 pm
I gotta say, so far I'm totally addicted to the new site.

You may (or may not Wink ) have noticed, but the last couple of months I've stayed away from a2k much as I could. (Spending muchos time on Flickr instead..) I'd already become kinda dragged back the last two weeks or so, but was kinda angry at myself for it.

But now! I feel like I've been here non-stop since the re-launch. I dont know whether it's because of all its cool new toys (eh, features), or just because figuring out a new system itself is fun, or because some of the new features (ignore and the like) keep me out of the most annoying-yet-timewasting stuff, or because stuff like diving into the tagging and voting had me re-discovering old threads...

OK, so all of the above, obviously. Very Happy

Still, after like 2 1/2 days non-stop here I guess I should start, you know, returning to real-life and all.. Wink
littlek

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 12:24 pm
@nimh,
Figuring **** out is definitely addictive.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 08:46 pm
Twenty posts per page, and it doesn't slow things down a bit. I'm on dial up, by the way.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 08:50 pm
@Thomas,
Liking the swiftyness of the bbc codes thing, no longer some kind of time trial.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 08:51 pm
@Thomas,
Not so superficial for moi... I love the type choices.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:21 am
@nimh,
I know!!

I couldn't really check in yesterday (busy) and I felt Very Deprived.

Just spent forever on a long-ass post but having fun zooming around and catching up.
sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 09:17 am
@sozobe,
One thing I AM liking is the ability to catch up by seeing what other people have been up to. (Via their "my tags" or "my posts.")
ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 12:07 am
@sozobe,
I'm enjoying people's profiles. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like more are filled out than usual. And I like the larger photos there.

Well, one of the good things for me is that the new posts page isn't zonking back to zero every so often, by virtue of the site or my dsl.. it's one of those things that you really appreciate, like when a loud noise stops..
Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 12:40 am
@ossobuco,
You're not wrong, the big difference is that you can use bbcode on the profile now. So you could put pictures, links etc in your member description. Someone should go bump up phoenix's thread to get people to try to do something creative with it.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 12:49 am
@Craven de Kere,
Aha, I'll see if I can find that. (Looking for stuff is good for me.. just tell me if it is one of her old long-ago ones or something recent.)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 01:02 am
@ossobuco,
Got it..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 05:18 am
@ehBeth,
I agree, ehBeth - the speed IS brilliant! I'm on dial-up, too.
This is terrific! Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 08:23 am
@Thomas,
I never realized how efficient it would be to decline a thread. It is not dislike of the person, but uninterest in the subject matter. Once I removed many of the threads of which I had no desire to participate, I found that I was flitting about A2K at warp speed!
caribou

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 11:20 am
@old europe,
Oh, I just found color and all the edit buttons
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 11:22 am
@Phoenix32890,
There ya go...!
0 Replies