New A2K annoyances

DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:43 pm
@Craven de Kere,
I like that idea.

If you're able to include extra functionality, consider being able to highlight a section and click quote, or if dragging a selection into the text box could be automagically put into quote tags.
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:43 pm
@Craven de Kere,
that's good enough for me. people overquote anyway. here, people can see i am responding to you and your post is just 2 or 3 above mine.... no need to quote it in full.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:44 pm
@Thomas,
It was nice reading you Thomas. I may miss you.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:45 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Quote:
So what I think may happen, is that you will have an option to enable a "quote" button on all posts but that it wouldn't be there by default.

Sounds good for people presently unhappy, kind of a happy medium. Not sure re proliferation...
I just figured out how to use the BCC thing for it, and am fine with it as is, preferring short quotes in any case, and also having close to no tolerance for nests, but I can't tell if those would be fostered. Nests, and nest wars, neg.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:47 pm
@DrewDad,
That's actually exactly what my first idea was. I didn't want a "quote all" and wanted it to be selected specifically. But I don't envision that being easier than the new idea (though I, for one, think it's a better compromise). It's a bit more complicated as well, which is why it's not already here (whereas the new idea would be very easy).
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:47 pm
@ehBeth,
ehbeth wrote:
It was nice reading you Thomas. I may miss you.

Thanks! That's very openminded of you -- for a quotophobe.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:49 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
One thing I'm not quite sure about: How, if at all, would your implementation support nesting quotes?

That really needs to be handled on the post parsing and not on the insertion. If people really want to nest them I'm not going to try to stop them. An idea for the people (myself included) who don't like the huge ones would be to collapse them using javascript and css so that only the first level is visible and the rest is a click away. Then for the users who don't like that default there could be a preference to disable it.
old europe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:50 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
I like that idea.

If you're able to include extra functionality, consider being able to highlight a section and click quote, or if dragging a selection into the text box could be automagically put into quote tags.

That would be super extra mega nifty. If I dare say so.

It's how I'm doing it at the moment. Hate cluttered, nested quotes. Usually break them up, manually, to reply to the specific part I want to, uh, reply to.

Having that kind of function would be awesome!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:51 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Nods.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:09 pm
I have a new annoyance....argh

Now that there are not any seperate forums, I'm going to have to sift through a lot of crap to get to the posts that I'm interested in.

I'll have to "thumbs down" a few dozen relationship posts, some word game posts, some gardening posts, etc just to see something I'm interested in (sorry if some of you are interested in these posts; they are just not for me).
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:11 pm
@maporsche,
But there are separate tags. Other than the fact that navigating them isn't yet as easy as it should what's wrong with them. Say you used to go to the politics forum, if you go to the politics tag, you'd see essentially the same topics.

Edit: not that you shouldn't vote down stuff that you aren't interested in. I'm tired of the word association thread being on all my topic lists so I voted it down, and that's my own topic.
maporsche

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:12 pm
@Craven de Kere,
yeah, that's true....guess I just need to try it.

thx
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:12 pm
@maporsche,
I imagine we will get past it...

Rolling Eyes

(you got two guys on the DL, and Pujols on the bench, are you a nidiot?)

?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:39 pm
@maporsche,
you can always tag all the threads you like and want to follow as 'maporshe'...and then you'll find them all in one place...there you can further sort them by new posts or popularity in votes...... ultimately you can customize this whole site entirely to your liking.
maporsche

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:50 pm
@dagmaraka,
sounds like a lot of work for something that used to help me relax....
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:00 pm
@maporsche,
hmm, perceptions differ. doesn't sounds like a 'lot of work' to me at all, in fact i appreciate and enjoy the fact that i can tweak the selection of posts so that it matches my interests. ultimately, i'm getting a site that's more interesting and faster... more personalized.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:01 am
@maporsche,
Takes time to set up your "favorites" list on your TV, too, but it's worth it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:08 am
OK, new annoyance.

After all the discussion of tagging and voting, when I select a tag (e.g., politics) there is no way to sort by votes.
Joeblow

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:12 am
The default view if you're not logged on cannot be changed. I miss the "at a glance "option where I could easily read recent posts without logging on.

Now, I'm stuck with viewing those tagged with the "most votes." So I must log on just to browse a bit...which is perhaps the point.

?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:23 am
@sozobe,
Will we ever be able to create surveys for our topics? I always enjoyed that feature.
0 Replies