New A2K annoyances

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:35 pm
@old europe,
Oh, that part? It's supposed to be kinda soft. It truncates as well and isn't meant to be where you read the post, it's a link to the live post.
old europe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:39 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Neutral

Sure, but couldn't it be a wee bit more readable? Maybe #999999 instead of #BBBBBB?
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:39 pm
@old europe,
I'm toying with that. This isn't a great monitor to test though, it's consistently different from just about everything else.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:41 pm
@Eva,
There's two views of tags, one is the general list that everyone sees to the left of this post, and the other is the customized tags they've added to give more descriptive descriptions. Those appear in the My Tags list below the General Category Tags list. You can also find them by clicking on the My Tags link at the top of the page. If I'm understanding it right, only the tags you've created will show up in that My Tags box on the left and they'll sort by relevance according to popularity. The more topics you've assigned a given tag the higher in your custom list that tag will appear.

Craven, please correct that if I am misunderstanding.
old europe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:41 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Ha! I have that problem with my well-travelled laptop.... people are always complaining....

You'll get it right, I'm sure!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:43 pm
@Butrflynet,
That sounds about right, but the tag listings in both places will change. For example, it's not even possible to see the tags after x tags right now, and we'll put pagination and search into it.
dadpad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:49 pm
@Craven de Kere,

Quote:
It really shouldn't be grey on white. What browser are you using?

I'm using firefox craven.
Sorry it took a while to reply i was reading the rest of the thread.
I'll see if i can do a screen shot.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:51 pm
@Craven de Kere,
One thing that I've seen on Amazon is a default set of tags for people to select for their product review by just clicking on the tags that are the most descriptive. The default tags appear to be the first 25 or so most popular tags for that particiular product category. That helps cut down on the number of typos in tags. They can then add their own additonal custom tags if they wish and people can vote tags as inappropriate if needed.

Would either of those type of mechanisms be helpful in this tagging scheme?
dadpad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:59 pm
@Craven de Kere,
This screenshot shows the grey on white. Because of the size of the pic it is easier to read the screen shot, this is not the case in the "reply to post"
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/dadpad/postrepliesgrey.jpg

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yeah, but only once we have enough data to do those suggestions algorithmically.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:03 pm
@dadpad,
I've asked Nick to try to darken our soft text color. On my monitor everything's pretty dark.
dadpad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:11 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Great customer service craven.

Default tags might be good. I cant seem to think what words to tag things with. How do I tag a thread called A2K annoyances? ummm..... help? or assistance or kvetching or winging .......Ok, i see, i can tag with all those but when I want to find this thread again I have to recall what I tagged it as rather than go to the forum help section and look for the thread

wait... if I tag it "forum help" that should work.
maporsche

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:16 pm
@dadpad,
I agree....I don't like this tagging deal one bit....ESPECIALLY now that search is gone.

What if I want to search for something that no one has taken the time to tag.....or something is tagged but spelled wrong?

I like the idea of personalized tags....but I REALLY liked the search function, and the standardized groupings.

Sometimes I don't know what I want to read or talk about.....so I'd click on the Photography forum and see what people were saying. Or I'd click on the Home Improvement forum and see what was going on. Now I'm limited to what people feel is worthy to tag.......sorry but I think this is a step back.
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:19 pm
@dadpad,
I tag these "able2know" and "a2k".
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:21 pm
@maporsche,
The search issue is completely separate and the tag feature can make the solution for us easier when we attempt to build it.

I understand that you think it's a step back, but I think it will get better with use. As for someone not tagging something that equivalent existed on the old site as well, and people posted to the wrong forums all the time and moderators would move the topics. Now the whole community can move topics.

Ultimately it's more hands on the same categorization problem.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:24 pm
@maporsche,
Mr Holmgren,

It's like baseball, keep up, or fall down...

(yer losin' at this moment)
maporsche

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:26 pm
@Rockhead,
huh....?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:31 pm
I have a proposal for the quote feature that would make it 1 extra click to identical functionality. Here's what I propose:

1) You click on reply, just as you do now and would have on the "quote" button.
2) Underneath your textarea you can see the current post now, I propose including a link or button that inserts the quote (with the author included in the tag) into the textarea at a click.

That's 1 extra click for the same functionality. Thoughts?

I have another idea for a drop down under "reply" for it but at present would like to avoid having a whole extra button. For new users (who mostly don't care about quotes) this is extra clutter in their way.

So what I think may happen, is that you will have an option to enable a "quote" button on all posts but that it wouldn't be there by default.
Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:39 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Craven de Kere wrote:
That's 1 extra click for the same functionality. Thoughts?

Well, it's one of those balancing things where you're trying to find the most acceptable compromise for lots of users with lots of different opinions about quoting. Some other users have complained about excessive quoting and nesting. On the other hand I, personally, liked the old "quote" functionality, so the optimal solution for me would be to restore it. But your solution sounds like a compromise I could settle for.

One thing I'm not quite sure about: How, if at all, would your implementation support nesting quotes?
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:41 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Sounds workable to me.
0 Replies