New A2K annoyances

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:31 am
@DrewDad,
yes there is. click on politics, click on sort by most votes, and voila, that's what you get.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:47 am
@dagmaraka,
That might be what you get. It is not what I get.

I can sort by whatever I wish on the "all topics," "questions," and "discussions" pages. But it always sorts by "new posts" when I have a tag selected.
dagmaraka

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:49 am
@DrewDad,
but you can change that, right? maybe i don't understand. do you want to sort all topics by "new posts" and tags by "most votes'?
dagmaraka

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:52 am
@dagmaraka,
....i think if you sort all topics by most votes, then tags also sort by most votes. if you sort them by new posts, then tags sort by new posts.

i sort everything by new posts, i don't much care for majority deciding for me what to read and want to see what was posted most recently... maybe when we're into this for a number of weeks. then it will be a useful way of finding the most popular threads. for now, it's new posts for me.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 07:29 am
Excuse if this has already been asked, but, what's the session timeout now? 10 minutes? 5?
0 Replies

OnTheFritz

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 07:32 am
This is what happens with tags: I saw your reply to a post and I used otf as a tag for my six favorite threads. Now otf comes up six times in the Tags boxes, and all go to the same page. How do I delete five of them? Also, now when trivia and word games shows up in the My Tags box, it takes me to My Tagged Topics page with only one thread there, Orderly Sentences, which I started three years ago and has not had a new post in three years. And I didn't even tag it in the first place. This is stupid. When I click on trivia and word games, no matter where it is, I expect to be taken to the first page of all those threads that used to be in trivia and word games on the old board. That still works if the box is named Related Tags (so far) and Popular Tags. How do I remove tags from My Tags list?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 07:39 am
@dagmaraka,
Problem is, not everyone votes, so you don't really know what's most popular. I never vote, for instance.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 07:39 am
@dagmaraka,
No, I can't change it. That's why it's an annoyance. Might even rise to the level of a bug.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 08:35 am
I clicked on My tags in the header at the top of the home page. I then sorted the posts that appeared by new topics.

Ok so there are no topics/posts i want to read.

How do I get back to the a2k homepage?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/dadpad/mytaggedtopics.jpg

there does not seem to be a link to the home page, dicussions or questions.

I had to open a thread and go from there
old europe

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 08:38 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
How do I get back to the a2k homepage?

Uhm.... by clicking on the logo in the top left corner? Is that what you mean by 'homepage'?
dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 08:46 am
@old europe,
Thanks OE, I didnt know i could do that.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 09:04 am
I tried the new A2K on my iPhone today. The result is a mix of coolness and minor annoyances. Although the annoyances are minor, I'm posting about the experience here because you might want to do something about the annoyances in the near or distant future. (Distant is fine in this case.) You don't need to do anything about the coolnesses. (In fact, I wouldn't want you to!)

Coolnesses: The new site looks much tidier and less cluttered than the old site did. This is a big deal on mobile devices because their screens are so small. All the navigation pages are easy to read and operate. I have no trouble getting into the threads I want to get into.

But once I'm in there, the minor annoyance comes in. Iphone's version of Safari sets the initial post in larger type than the answers. (Does Safari's Mac version do the same?) As a result, in the default iPhone configuration, the initial post looks fine, but the answers are barely readable. Is the change in font size driven by something A2K has control over? If so, it might be worth correcting some day.

If you don't, that's okay too. I can see that Safari on an iPhone is not a browser you focus on. But often, you can see the quality of a design by testing it in a setting it wasn't designed for. So I wanted to let you know that in this particular test in this particular setting, the result was B+. Pretty good!
OnTheFritz

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:39 am
I had trouble finding this thread again since I've been gone a couple hours. To make an over-the-top comparison, it's like if the houses in your neighborhood moved around every time you and your neighbors were gone and when you got home you had to drive around awhile 'til you found yours.
McTag

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:43 am
@Thomas,

Absolutely, I agree that the last poster's name is a plus.

But I get that familiar sinking feeling when I see it's Ican.

Can I still do ad-hominem attacks and make sour and not-very-funny comments?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:44 am
@Thomas,
At least on my IMac/safari, the initial posts and answers are in the same size.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:55 am
@OnTheFritz,
So tag the thread "Stuff OnTheFritz wants to be able to find later."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:57 am
@McTag,
Quote:
Can I still do ad-hominem attacks and make sour and not-very-funny comments?

Yes, but now you get rated on the quality of you ad-hominems and not-very-funny comments.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 11:08 am
"Edit tags" is clunky.

Easy to add tags initially, but clicking "edit" results in a text box appearing w/o a cursor.

Then you click in it, and the cursor can be anywhere in the text box. There's hidden text, which you may be typing in the middle of, and you have to remember to add a comma or it will just give the message "tags removed" with an image of a non-dancing hamster.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 11:14 am
My ignore button doesn't work...which totally screws up my sig line - and it was one of the really cool things I liked especially.
Thomas

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 11:15 am
@mismi,
Same here. Hitting "ignore this user" has no effect on whether I see their posts, and no effect on the "my ignored users" list.
0 Replies