How to use the new able2know

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:35 am
@Thomas,
Also I think there is (somewhere!) a "view best answer selected by A2K community" or something like that. I don't remember now where I saw that so don't trust me on that necessarily.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:38 am
@Craven de Kere,
BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:40 am
@sozobe,
A-ha! It can be found here:

http://able2know.org/topic/120908-1#post-3357198

Below DrewDad's first post there it says "View best answer, chosen by the community"
McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:41 am
Well, first impression: Not too crappy. It will take some getting used to but should be fairly easy to use after a week or so. Eventually it will be just like the old one. I am impressed with the speed so far.

I will need to kick the tires and test drive for awhile before I can comment on more impressions.

To those making use of the ignore feature, good luck and I hope you make the right choices.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:44 am
@Dutchy,
Quote:
Also the new Avatar site isn't doing justice to my old Avatar, can that be changed?

Dutchy, go back to the avatar site and drag the "crop box" up and over until if fills the entire picture, then resave it.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:44 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
A-ha! It can be found here:

http://able2know.org/topic/120908-1#post-3357198

Below DrewDad's first post there it says "View best answer, chosen by the community"

Ooooh! Pretty cool feature...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:45 am
@spendius,
How am I going to be able to make eye-contact with a pretty username I never saw before? Where can I find firefly now without searching all over the site one post at once and she's unlikely to be worth me doing that by the time I find her.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:50 am
@JPB,
J_B,

what i do to get to the top is click "Home" at the bottom of the page.

if i'm in the middle of a page, i use either the green "Top" or "End" buttons they're located on the righthand edge of every page...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:57 am
Quote:
what i do to get to the top is click "Home" at the bottom of the page. Smile
that won't work when you're in a thread though.
so the real answer is use "Top" and "End"... Smile
JPB

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:59 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
that won't work when you're in a thread though.
so the real answer is use "Top" and "End"

You're a bloomin' genious, RP! Thanks. Very Happy
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:08 am
A feature I miss: when viewing a list of threads, the name of the last poster along with the last post time. Now we just see last post time.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:19 am
@Craven de Kere,
One of the things that I noticed was that my time zone was all out of whack. It is easy enough to change, through, "My Preferences".
sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:20 am
@Phoenix32890,
Yep. EST is evidently GMT-4.
sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:23 am
@sozobe,
FYI, I made a couple of new discussions in hopes of centralizing/ organizing things a bit.

New A2K Bugs
http://able2know.org/topic/120918-1

New A2K Annoyances
http://able2know.org/topic/120917-1

My idea is that the "annoyances" ones can be for generalized kvetching ("too much white space!") while bugs can be for things that seem to actually be not working right ("I can't seem to ignore anyone.")
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:30 am
I just figured something out.

I ignored hingehead for testing purposes. I didn't actually want to keep him ignored. But I'd gone to his profile in the first place by clicking on his name when I saw him on a thread. Once ignored, his name didn't show up anymore! So how was I supposed to un-ignore him?

What I did was go to my own profile page:

http://able2know.org/user/sozobe

and then just manually substituted "hingehead" for "sozobe"

http://able2know.org/user/hingehead/

That worked.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:33 am
@sozobe,
when you go to your profile page, you'll find a button labelled "ignored users" - there will be a list in there - with an unignore button
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:33 am
@sozobe,
Aren't ya'll on Eastern Daylight Time right now?

There's a feature I'd like to see... Make me GMT -6 w/ option for applying daylight savings time instead of having to switch back and forth.
sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:39 am
@ehBeth,
Yep, Butrflynet just told me that too. Thanks!

Why do things the easy way when you can do them the hard way? :-D

But my technique is still useful for going straight to people's profiles if they aren't right there on a thread -- for example, if I want to ignore Miller but don't know where to find a post of hers.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:41 am
@Phoenix32890,
that happened to me also.
i was on GMT-4 originally, but when i went to my preferences it automatically changed to like -10 or -12...
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:01 am
@Craven de Kere,
First impression, hard to read, colors bad, not a great idea to require scrolling to see all of posts. Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to, but I don't think so entirely. In any case, good luck.