Itsa seperate site now, ci.
Gravatary or some such nonsense...

(I got people did mine fer me...) Wink
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Craven de Kere wrote:
We are using gravatar, which is a service for avatars anywhere on the net that supports them. So to display it here upload it at: http://en.gravatar.com/

Just use the same email address as you use on able2know. We'll have more instruction on this from the profile page soon.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:58 pm
How do I find threads that would have been located in the old General forum?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:12 pm
@Reyn,
Do you know the authors of any of the threads you're looking for, Reyn?

You can go to their profile and look over their topics for the ones you're looking for (very handy feature, IMNSHO).
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:25 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
hingehead wrote:
Topics I have replied to that there have been recent replies too (rather than seeing a list of my last replies).

There doesn't currently seem to be an equivalent to this on the new site. But I second your implied opinion that such an equivalent would be useful. I think it would make it much easier for me to keep track of topics that interest me.

I third that opinion.

I think this tagging nonsense is ridiculous, all the way around.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:26 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
If you click on your name at the top right of the screen and then click "Edit Preferences", you will see some mysterious-sounding options under "General Preferences," called "topic_threshold" and "post_threshold". If it now says -5 or -10 or -15, that means that individual posts resp. threads as a whole will not appear for you once they have been voted down a net 5, 10 or 15 times.

Another strange and disconcerting change to the site, if you ask me. Why would we want posts to disappear because someone else has decided they are not worth viewing?

Will someone tell me what good changes have been made? http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3188/spewku0.gif
maporsche

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:28 pm
@Ticomaya,
Tico, I had to give you a thumbs up for your last 2 posts.....the thumbs up thing is stupid, but there you go.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:29 pm
@Reyn,
If you're looking for ones you created, such as your quirky news items, you can click on the My Topics link at the top of this page and you'll get a list of all the topics you've created.
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:32 pm
@Ticomaya,
it will be great with spam, for example. no reporting and moderator involvement necessary, few clicks and it's down.
if you disagree with someones downvoting, you can always vote up...

i myself don't care much. i sort threads by latest posts, not by votes.
hao

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:35 pm
@Craven de Kere,
I nearly forgot the email address I used to register. I tried three times just to find the one I have already abandoned.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:10 pm
I am sure these are really dumb questions...but here goes.

1. Is there anywhere I can view ALL tags?

2. When people post anew in threads which began prior to the shift to the new site, I do not seem to see them when I search via "new posts"? Is this because I am searching wrongly, or is this just a facet of the new site as it currently is?

3. If I wish to find old threads , I assume, for now, I need to use Google?

4. Is the only way I have to find previous members who are not appearing as posters on any of the threads I can easily see here, to google them?

I am sorry if this has all been explained elsewhere.

old europe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:18 pm
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:
4. Is the only way I have to find previous members who are not appearing as posters on any of the threads I can easily see here, to google them?

sozobe came up with this rather amazing solution:

sozobe wrote:
I go to people's profiles by going to my own and then substituting their name for mine in the url -- I'm sure there are easier ways.

Borat Sister

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:50 pm
@old europe,
Thank you OE and Soz!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:13 am
@Borat Sister,
Quote:
1. Is there anywhere I can view ALL tags?

Do you want all threads, no matter what the tags? Upper left-hand corner.
I don't know how to view a list o' tags, though.

Quote:
2. When people post anew in threads which began prior to the shift to the new site, I do not seem to see them when I search via "new posts"? Is this because I am searching wrongly, or is this just a facet of the new site as it currently is?

On the light-blue bar where the "Sort by" box and "Go" button are, look to the left and you will see "Topic Age." This appears to be dated from the time the thread was initiated. Select "All Time" to make sure you are seeing new posts for all threads.

0 Replies

susinni

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 02:45 am
I am doubly bamboozled! I joined approximately 4 minutes (more or less) before the roll-out of the NEW (improved?) website.

Sheesh!! I have some searches to perform, but apparently I have to take comfort in the old adage "Patience Is a Virtue". OR - as my friend Jennifer says "Patience is a virtue I don't have time for! " (*sigh*)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 02:56 am
tico wrote:
Why would we want posts to disappear because someone else has decided they are not worth viewing?

Indeed. Sometimes the obvious is worth saying.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 03:15 am
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:
if you disagree with someones downvoting, you can always vote up...

tried doing that to a topic several times, but it didn't work. is it because i use firefox?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 03:15 am
@nimh,
Hey, Nimh - how'd you do that "quote" of Eva?
yitwail

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 03:25 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
Hey, Nimh - how'd you do that "quote" of Eva?

while waiting for nimh, you can do this: Mr. Green

click REPLY
click Enable BBCode Editor
select & copy stuff you want to quote
click Quote
paste the quote
change "quote" in brackets to "quote=nimh"
snood

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 03:51 am
@yitwail,
Duh... shoot I coulda figgured that out, if I'd just looked! But thanks!!!
0 Replies