Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:30 pm
@Bohne,
this um pretty much blows..

a lot.
0 Replies

g day

@spendius,

Guys this new design is seriously bad. I don't mind new but ugh - what problems in the old design where you trying to fix cause I don't think you've nailed it yet!
0 Replies

ossobuco

I'm a little confused about tags - I'll have to review the Changes Coming at a2k threads, but in the meantime --

I went to Art to find an architecture thread, since I've always hoped for a "landuse" type forum, with architecture, landscape architecture, garden design, urban design, regional planning and design, site engineering (ad infinitum) as some of the elements. (I know some others have hope for other categories, such as ehBeth, re media. So I've been thinking I could add these tags where appropriate. Anyway, I tagged one of Walter Hinteler's threads with several categories I thought fit.

But.... will I be the only one to see those categories/tags? If so, I can get used to the idea. But I might also like to see other folks' additional categories, such as Media..

If the categories aren't private, then does the word 'bookmark' as a tag show up with everyone's bookmarks?
snood

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:48 pm
@ossobuco,
So, how do I "quote" someone? And, how do I ignore someone?
snood

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:55 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Laughing
Hot damn!! Found the code editor!! Look out now!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 06:00 pm
@snood,
Snood, you ignore by going to the person's profile and checking Ignore under the avatar (you get to the profile by clicking on the person's username).

On quoting, I haven't gotten that far, except to cut and paste the old fashioned, but really not so hard, way. There might be another way, as I see quotes with dashes around them.
spendius

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 06:08 pm
@ossobuco,
It's easy ignoring people. You just stick your nose up in the air and walk past them like they are not there. The fact that they are there is neither here nor there.

Quoting is a piece of piss.

Is that the first dirty word to besmirch this virginal background. I liked the pale blue.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 06:42 pm
@okie,
Hey Okie, the scrolling per post thing, I agree, is really annoying - but like Region said, you can change the default setting in your preferences. I posted this before, but step by step this is what you do: click on your name (top right), click on "Edit preferences", and under "Topic Preferences", toggle "Expand all posts" to yes.
nimh

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 06:55 pm
@okie,
Hi Okie,

Dont know if someone else also already explained this (sorry if so), but from what I understand:

-> If you vote down a post, it disappears for you, but others can still see it.

-> Also, it doesnt disappear entirely -- it just "collapses". You can still see that there is a post, you just can't see the post itself. It will say in tiny letters, "Post voted down (view)", and if you click View, there it will be again (handy if you accidentally vote a post down).

-> Finally, I think if enough readers vote a post down, it becomes collapsed by default for everyone - but even then curious people can still click view and see it after all.
nimh

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:06 pm
@nimh,
Hi Okie, I wrote:

nimh wrote:
-> Finally, I think if enough readers vote a post down, it becomes collapsed by default for everyone - but even then curious people can still click view and see it after all.

But I just saw that if you are really wary of seeing or not seeing things depending on how others have voted for them, you can even determine in your preferences how this works exactly for you.

If you click on your name at the top right of the screen and then click "Edit Preferences", you will see some mysterious-sounding options under "General Preferences," called "topic_threshold" and "post_threshold". If it now says -5 or -10 or -15, that means that individual posts resp. threads as a whole will not appear for you once they have been voted down a net 5, 10 or 15 times.

But you can switch both settings to "no collapsing". If you do that, no post or topic should disappear for you anymore, no matter how many people vote against it.
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:11 pm
@nimh,
Quote:
But you can switch both settings to "no collapsing". If you do that, no post or topic should disappear for you anymore, no matter how many people vote against it.

Yup, when enough people start using it you should eventually be able to pick a2k lite or a2k rough. But I do want to point out that no matter what the setting voting it down will hide it. After all, it's a recommendation to hide it that you are giving to the community so you'll have to take your own advice.

That detail was important to make it a little more irritating to the user to abuse the system. Vote everything down? Well you'll have a hard time using the site because you'll have to click to see everything.

I've already found it correcting my bad votes. I vote down a topic I find uninteresting and don't want to see only to find myself looking at it and then voting it up to keep it in view.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:20 pm
@Craven de Kere,
i hate changes,,,
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:25 pm
@mikey,
You did abuzz > raven's realm > a2k 1 with us already so you better do the best one with us this time. It will be the best (in at least my subjective opinion) in time ;-)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:28 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
Hey Okie, the scrolling per post thing, I agree, is really annoying - but like Region said, you can change the default setting in your preferences. I posted this before, but step by step this is what you do: click on your name (top right), click on "Edit preferences", and under "Topic Preferences", toggle "Expand all posts" to yes.

Thank you, nimh!
margaret schwerin

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:47 pm
@Craven de Kere,
I dont care about the graphics. I just want to get back into the trivia and games pages again
old europe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:50 pm
@margaret schwerin,
Look at the tags on the left side.

Or click here:
http://able2know.org/tag/trivia_and_word_games/
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:12 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:
Thank you, nimh!

Thank you and dont forget to tip, eh, vote the waiter Laughing
old europe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:12 pm
@nimh,
Manipulation. I smell manipulation.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:15 pm
@old europe,
I am the King of sniff there, and all I smell is the potential thereof...

I trust the management to a point further than the general pub...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:21 pm
Okay, where's the avatar section?