Dutchy

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:28 pm
@bathsheba,
Hi bathsheba, a little taken aback by the news, but hope you and your hubby will get better news after the surgery in September. Will keep sending you vibes, and please keep talking to the ladies here, they're such a sincere and wonderful crew. Hugs to you from downunder.
bathsheba

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:28 pm
@ehBeth,
thanks ehbeth, interesting site. I should have known my knitter-friend would have found this site!
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:31 pm
@Dutchy,
I'm a zombie tonight. I go from frantic-wanting-to-scream to numb. Thanks for the good vibes and I will try and keep talking....I know that's better than staying in my crab shell. We must pray for no lymph node involvement now.

Hugs to you back, from the frozen north.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:33 pm
@Dutchy,
And I'll say do some research. I had invasive ductal and two lumpectomies (to my mind, you've already had one) instead of mastectomy, but I don't remember the details re my choice. All in a file. Meet your surgeon and oncologist (two different people, no?) after having read some stuff.

In my case, how far the ca moved from the duct wasn't clear until the first lumpo. And so my surgeon did a second, and I had rads.

Not that you should follow me, but this is the time to get out there and read stuff.
JPB

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 06:21 am
@bathsheba,
bathsheba wrote:

Hi JPB,
Frantic for sure and scared to death. I don't have ductal carcinoma in situ, which would have been better as it would have been localized. Mine is invasive. So, a 2 cm lump graded in this way (grade 3) is bad ****, I think. Unless that's what Osso had, and she sounds like she beat it.

I have my hubby and that is all. Friends of many years and my daughter are all 1000 miles away. The people I know here I have known for only a few years and don't feel too comfy talking with them.

Any info/links you have or explanations on grades would be appreciated. I know staging is different, but does the grade have any impact on the staging?

Good morning, bathsheba. I know you feel like you've been sucked into a vortex but we're here to try to give you an anchor.

Your 2cm tumor is right on the cusp of being a Stage I and Stage II tumor and the staging will be determined by the results of the lymph node biopsy.

Quote:
The following stages of breast cancer are known as invasive breast cancer:

Stage 1 The tumour measures less than 2cm. The lymph glands in the armpit are not affected and there are no signs that the cancer has spread elsewhere in the body.

Stage 2 The tumour measures between 2 and 5cm, or the lymph glands in the armpit are affected, or both. However, there are no signs that the cancer has spread further.

There is also a very slight chance that your tumor is secondary to other yet undetected cancers. Your doctor will order an MRI and/or CT-scan if (s)he thinks that's a possibility.

Let's assume you're in Stage I or II. Both of these stages are classified as early stage cancers. Treatment success and cures (lack of recurrence after 5 years) are quite good with early stage cancers. If there is no lymph node involvement then your doctor will still probably classify your tumor as Stage II because of the high grade.

Switching to grades -- the grade of the tumor refers to the speed at which it is likely to grow and spread without intervention. With a low grade your doctor may suggest a wait and see attitude, with a high grade you will be pushed to make a treatment decision quickly.

Quote:
Grading refers to the appearance of the cancer cells under the microscope. The grade gives an idea of how quickly the cancer may develop. There are three grades: grade 1 (low-grade), grade 2 (moderate or intermediate grade) and grade 3 (high-grade).

Low-grade means that the cancer cells look very like the normal cells of the breast. They are usually slow growing and are less likely to spread.

In high-grade tumours the cells look very abnormal. They are likely to grow more quickly and are more likely to spread.

So -- the grade and stage are independent of each other but they both need to be taken into account when coming up with a treatment plan. The high grade classification doesn't mean that your cancer HAS spread, simply that it is more likely to spread without intervention than a non-invasive type.

I know it's hard. I know you're feeling like the floor has been pulled out from under you. We're here. Keep talking.

HUGS!!!!
sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 06:53 am
@JPB,
Hi bathsheba,

Just want to add a voice to the chorus of support. I don't know much first-hand. I did recently go to an extremely informative breast cancer workshop, though, featuring several survivors -- one had stage four several years ago and is now hale and hearty. (The main presenter had stage two and her emphasis was that she was lucky to have caught it so early -- she's also now doing very well.)

I came away from the presentation thinking that there are a lot of tools available to deal with breast cancer these days.

Best of luck.
boomerang

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 09:05 am
Well dang. That's not the news we wanted to hear. I'm really glad you caught it early though!

I don't have any practical advice or information but I'm a good listener.

Many ommmmms headed your way.
jespah

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 04:48 pm
Sitting and listening, offering hugs as you may need/want 'em.

You can beat this thing.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:02 pm
@bathsheba,
Checking back in.

We can listen to you, or talk amongst ourselves while you come by to read.

I feel like I want to tell you more about some of the marvellous people who've checked in here. All of them inspirations in their own special ways. Mebbe I'll work on it a bit over the weekend.
bathsheba

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 10:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, I'm reading so much my eyes are about to fall out. Interesting that you had invasive ductal as well. Do you remember what grade or stage yours was? I realize the decisions about rads/chemo will come after the surgery once they find how many, if any, lymphs are involved. I have more questions for my surgeon who supplied me with nearly a suitcase of information. Now I'm not sure if I want a mastectomy and will ask him about that. Seems like my chances are the same with radiation and breast left in place but I am not so worried about losing a boob as I am my life.

Osso, how many years ago did you have your surgery? Can you also tell me how the rads/chem was for you?

THANKS!
Bathsheba
bathsheba

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:04 pm
@JPB,
Hi JPB,
Golly, thank you for doing all that posting about the stages and grades. I have a better handle on what I'm up against. I'm a fighter by nature (Irish Smile) and plan to beat this thing with an ugly stick.

Re the MRI: there are two schools of thought on that. In the States, MRI's are ordered when breast cancer is detected. In Canada, they are not. I asked a breast cancer survivor tonight why they aren't done and she said her doctor, who co-authored a book about breast ca here in Canada said there are too many false positives with these. They prefer to concentrate on punching out the cancer at the site and then doing a bone scan later. My hubby and I have asked our doc to request an MRI anyway.

Thank you so much for your encouragement- and hugs back to you as well,
Bathsheba
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:09 pm
@sozobe,
Hey sozobe,
Good to hear that this is survivable at stage IV. Did you go just for your own info, if I may ask? Or are you a breast cancer survivor yourself?

Yes, there appear to be a lot of options for treatment these days. I've talked to women who had radiation/chemo 14 years ago and they said 'it wasn't too bad'. There are so many improvements nowadays for nausea, etc. that I'm sure I'll handle it fine. I found out I can get free wigs at the oncologists so I can play with being a blond one week, a redhead the next....Wink my hubby will like that....

Thanks for adding your support, I really appreciate that you took time to do that. You guys are all so very special to me. Couldn't do it without you,
Bathsheba
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:12 pm
@bathsheba,
Surgeries in 2001, rads in early 2002. Never looked back.

My pathology slides showed invasive ca on the 14th of 14 plugs taken in the needle biopsy. After the first lumpo and subsequent pathology, the surgeon decided the offenders were on the edge of her, uh, digging, and wanted to be sure, and did another one. I was lucky re the sentinal node - not involved. The rads were strange, hell, I was strange, but it was all mostly ok, and I have my incessant medical curiosity with me at most times. I didn't have chemo and didn't take tamoxifen, since the pathologists couldn't tell re my ca being estrogen fed. Staging, I had stage 1, and glad it was caught. I've friends who've had stage three and four, with additional aggravation.. but are fine now. Not to be too cheery, it is a serious disease. You know I sympathize....
bathsheba

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:13 pm
@boomerang,
Hey boomerang, keep on sending those ommmms! I'm serious, I need as many as I can get. You don't have to have any advice or info, I appreciate your writing to me, a complete stranger.

Today I'm in a more positive mood but I understand that goes up & down. Hubby and I decided to head to town today, 15 miles away, and have a Mexican dinner. It really put us in a better frame of mind. Hiding out isn't going to work for me. Now is the time to reach out, and that's what I'm doing. Bless you Boomer and all of you for being here trying to lift my spirits.

Bathsheba
Dianne
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:16 pm
@jespah,
Hi jespah,

Thank you for the virtual hugs! I do need them very much. Do you or anyone reading this post know of anyone with a grade 3 ductal carcinoma? Osso? What was the outcome? The unknowns are the scary part. Also my HER2 is positive. Anyone know about that?
Bathsheba
Dianne

bathsheba

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:22 pm
@ehBeth,
Hi there ehbeth, hope you're having better weather on the east coast than we are on the west coast. It's raining AGAIN. We still took a long walk with the doggies today and treated ourselves to dinner out. Little less doom and gloom tonight but still pretty devastated.

I'd love to hear about the people who've checked in here if they don't mind your telling me. You are all special, I really mean that.

I've been reading the info the surgeon gave me. It's so much stuff it's in a packet the size of a briefcase but I'm plowing my way through and asking questions. I had my doctor on the phone with me most of the day, poor guy. And I haven't started with the oncologist yet who's supposed to be a real jerk bedside manner-wise but knows his stuff. He ain't pushing me around.

Anyway I gotta get to bed as sleep didn't happen much at all last night. Got some sleeping pills today from my doctor that should do the trick.

Look forward to learning more about some of you a2k'ers, eh?
Bathsheba
Dianne
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks for sharing that Osso. So you only had ca on one lymph node? That is lucky! I hope to have the same luck. Lady Luck seems to have left me lately but I could sure use some. The rads were strange eh? I'm curious about anything medical too, being involved in & out of the medical world for many years, as front-back office recept at 18 years old, to working with psychiatrists at a large university medical center, to pre-nursing classes, to medical transcriptionist.....

Don't know if this means anything to you, but my estrogen receptors were weak according to the path report, and also my HER2 was positive, which from what I can tell until I see the oncologist seems to indicate a higher chance of reoccurrence. 20-25% of ca patients have a positive HER2. I'm just so damn lucky Sad Luck of the Irish doesn't mean a thing to me, I'm the unluckiest person on earth.

Osso, your friends who had stage 3 and 4 - how far out are they from initial treatment and how are they?

It's a rotten disease and I can't believe this is happening two years after my having a craniotomy for an unruptured aneurysm. I'm finally fine after that ordeal, and the ovaries being ripped out 6 months ago. Does anyone know when this will end and I'll start feeling like a normal human being? This is beyond anything I've ever heard anyone go through.......I'm beginning to think I've got a curse on me or something. Really.

Anyway, Osso, would like to hear about your friends who've had stages 3- or 4, if you feel like talking about it.

And I'm so glad you're doing so well. That gives me strength and courage.

Bathsheba
Dianne
littlek

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:36 pm
@bathsheba,
Oh no! As many have said, we are here. We are a good resource and someone seems to be around at any time of the day and night. So, please try and stay with us when you can stand it!

I'm sorry to hear your news. I will read up tomorrow as I will have more time then.

Gentle hugs to you, Bathsheba!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 04:15 am
@bathsheba,
Hey sweetie --

I don't know much from breast cancer but I have a close relative (whose privacy I'd like to help maintain) who is going through chemo. Second trip through, after being cancer-free for a few years. Many, many advances have been made, even just in the last four years. I really see it in terms of energy level, aggressive testing by the doctors and even in the hair department (hair today, was gone four years ago). I'm sure you'll get the benefit of that kind of progress.
JPB

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:07 am
@bathsheba,
bathsheba -- I'm glad you were able to go out and have a decent time at dinner. Yep, hiding is one approach but I think you'll find that reaching out is a good thing. Swing back and forth between the two as you need to but there are lots of folks here who will sit with you as you face this personal hell.

From your post to osso above -
Quote:
Don't know if this means anything to you, but my estrogen receptors were weak according to the path report, and also my HER2 was positive,

These two results are often correlated. I don't know if the HER2 suppresses the ERs, or the weak ERs allow for the amplification of the HER2, or that it matters one way or the other, but this is not an unusual occurrence. The HER2 results will be part of what your oncologist takes into account when he recommends a treatment plan.

Sending more hugs. I hope you and hubby are able to see some sunshine today.

(((( bathsheba ))))

1. Forums
  2. » Breast lumps
  3. » Page 8
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 05:46:56