Only Dems can get away with this.

Brand X

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:51 am
Clinton goes to California to save Davis, but to do it they choose the setting to be inside a very safe place for Davis, a black church! How absurd, a religious site for political matters? Didn't this country just go through a somewhat similar issue about the Ten Commandments on state property? Yet this slides by, of course it is California.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,452 • Replies: 22
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:55 am
BrandX... you're seriously suggesting that Republicans never have a church as a backdrop for political events/ speeches?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:02 am
This rant really doesn't merit a new thread.

We all try--emphasis--to keep the discourse level above Abuzz's here.

Could you try a little harder, please? Thanks. :wink:
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:10 am
sozobe wrote:
BrandX... you're seriously suggesting that Republicans never have a church as a backdrop for political events/ speeches?

Like that?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:16 am
?

That was a question. If you are suggesting as much, I'll do a quick Google to refute it.

Meanwhile, I don't think it is appropriate for PDiddie to tell you that your thoughts don't merit a new thread. My understanding is that as long as you stay within the Terms of Service agreement, you can say whatever you want here.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:24 am
I'm willing to rephrase the question. Is it appropriate for either party to stump in a church? But the Clinton, Davis obvious dodging of the California public is still suspect.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:57 am
Brand X wrote:
I'm willing to rephrase the question. Is it appropriate for either party to stump in a church?

I see nothing wrong with it.

Brand X wrote:
But the Clinton, Davis obvious dodging of the California public is still suspect.

Are you saying that the church members in the audience for the event weren't members of the California public? How does appearing before one segment of the public constitute dodging the public? When Republicans appear before the American Chamber of Commerce, or a convention of the American Legion, or speak at "pro-life" rallies, are they dodging the public too?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:02 am
Not saying they aren't public, why do you think they chose the church for this specific occasion?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:10 am
Brand X wrote:
Not saying they aren't public, why do you think they chose the church for this specific occasion?

Famed bank robber Willie Sutton was once asked why he robbed banks. His reply: "Because that's where the money is."

Politicians go where they go because that's where the voters are. If they're in a church, the politicians go to a church. If they're at an American Legion convention, the politicians go to the convention. If enough eligible voters crammed themselves into a telephone booth, I'm sure a politician would soon appear, offering to make change for a phone call.

There's no mystery here. Politicians have been doing this since Demosthenes harrangued the Athenians in the stoa. What, then, is your specific beef here, Brand X?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:17 am
Brand X wrote:
I'm willing to rephrase the question. Is it appropriate for either party to stump in a church? But the Clinton, Davis obvious dodging of the California public is still suspect.

You really are kidding here, right, Brand X.

They did everything they could to publicize this thing. I watched pictures of Davis and Clinton at this meeting -- HERE IN NEW JERSEY.

Are you really suggesting that Davis and Clinton were trying to dodge the public?

That makes so little sense -- it is laughable.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:39 am
Davis and Clinton together don't weigh as much as the monument for the Ten Commandments which was installed as a permanent fixture in front of a courthouse. The comparison is laughable.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:53 am
If I'm not mistaken doesn't GWB fancy himself chosen by God? But Clinton and Davis can't go to a church? Get real.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:41 am
I, for one, am surprised that Clinton did not burst into flames upon entering the church... Laughing
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:49 am
McGentrix wrote:
I, for one, am surprised that Clinton did not burst into flames upon entering the church... Laughing

I definitely would have paid to see that!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:55 am
McGentrix wrote:

Nah!

Even if you think Clinton is a hypocrite -- it wouldn't matter.

If there is any one thing churches have lots of experience dealing with -- it is hypocrites among the congregants!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 11:10 am
Since all you right wing Christians are so self righteous...and since you believe in Christ and his teachings....why don't you follow the example of Christ and forgive Clinton?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 12:10 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Nah!

Even if you think Clinton is a hypocrite -- it wouldn't matter.

If there is any one thing churches have lots of experience dealing with -- it is hypocrites among the congregants!

I like your style!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 12:13 pm
I know it was publicised and I don't care that Bill was there to console and give marching orders as he was everywhere all weekend. I don't like it when ANY politician stumps at a church, I think it's inappropriate, and in this case it looked how it looked to me, which was particularly cheesy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 12:51 pm
George Bush goes to church with his Higher Power, Laura, in order to stay sober.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 12:53 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
George Bush goes to church with his Higher Power, Laura, in order to stay sober.

LOL!
0 Replies