Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 10:02 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,131 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 10:17 am
and on what day can we expect the book about his changes to these policies?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 10:18 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
and on what day can we expect the book about his changes to these policies?

When the first revision is due, Jan. 2010 Laughing

It must be a trade paperback, my guess is a large size then your standard one.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 10:25 am
Why should anyone have to pay to find out what Obama intends to do if elected?

He should give the book for free.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 10:31 am
real life
real life wrote:

You could always have read Barack Obama's policies on his web site---and for free. ---BBB

http://www.barackobama.com/index.php
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 10:36 am
What a waste of trees...
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 10:37 am
Re: real life
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
real life wrote:

You could always have read Barack Obama's policies on his web site---and for free. ---BBB

http://www.barackobama.com/index.php

So why the book if there's no difference?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 11:19 am
real life wrote:
So why the book if there's no difference?

Because it's difficult to read Obama's website in the doctor's waiting room.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 11:22 am
But that only explains the cost of the paperback, not the e-book.

I do think it's a bit odd to sell the ebook when he's campaigning. He should want to get it out there and should be willing to do it for free in that medium.

I get charging for the physical product, with it's material cost and distribution but why charge for the ebook?

This is a bit awkward of a move by Obama. He's usually good at getting the different angles and this one has some funny ones.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:01 pm
his message would be out there loud and clear if he'd lose the pep rally stuff and give individual speeches addressing a single issue and his solutions in detail.

he gets enough free mass coverage that it would be hard to miss.

i get it that he wants to raise cash (if that's indeed what he intends), but i'm not gonna pay him to tell me what he thinks as a candidate.

need cash? sell tee shirts.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 06:08 am
DTOM, seriously. He does that a LOT. However, the media has decided that the Obama story is that he's fluffy and rockstar-y, and the "Obama as wonk" story just doesn't fit. So they cover the stuff that fits, and ignore the stuff that doesn't.

For example, about a week ago he gave a big energy speech, chock full of boring policy details, but there was some shiny metal object at the time (forget what) and it didn't get much attention.

Did you know about it?

If not, why not? Obama's fault?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 06:15 am
I know, right? Boggles the mind...
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 12:28 pm
sozobe wrote:

For example, about a week ago he gave a big energy speech, chock full of boring policy details, but there was some shiny metal object at the time (forget what) and it didn't get much attention.

What do you mean? The press was all over him for "changing" his energy policy in the speech. The shiny metal object was inside the speech. Here are the big three newspapers on it.

"With the politics of energy shifting as rapidly as gasoline prices, Democrats, led by presidential candidate Barack Obama, are retreating from long-held positions and scrambling to offer distressed voters more immediate relief from spiraling costs." (Los Angeles Times)

"Sen. Barack Obama altered his position on Monday to call for tapping the nation's Strategic Petroleum Reserve to lower gasoline prices as he outlined an energy plan that contrasts with Sen. John McCain's greater emphasis on expanded offshore drilling and coal and nuclear technology." (New York Times)

"Sen. Barack Obama called Monday for using oil from the nation's strategic reserves to lower gasoline prices, the second time in less than a week that he has modified a position on energy issues, as he and Sen. John McCain seek to find solutions to a topic that is increasingly dominating the presidential race." (Washington Post)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 12:29 pm
They all need to read the new Popular Mechanics....
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 12:30 pm
What is the title of Obama's latest Comic book?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 12:41 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
What do you mean? The press was all over him for "changing" his energy policy in the speech. The shiny metal object was inside the speech. Here are the big three newspapers on it.

I think I was thinking of the Britney Spears/ Paris Hilton ad, but that doesn't contradict my point too much. The speech itself was substantial, wonkish, chock full o' policy, but the press coverage was mostly (not entirely, I am of course speaking in generalizations here) soundbitey and reductive.

And I'm responding to DTOM saying this:

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
his message would be out there loud and clear if he'd lose the pep rally stuff and give individual speeches addressing a single issue and his solutions in detail.

he gets enough free mass coverage that it would be hard to miss.

Evidently DTOM missed this individual speech addressing a single issue and his solutions in detail. Why?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 12:48 pm
Obama will be making a huge mistake with this book.
As it is now, he is free to change his positions or to say "let me clarify" or do whatever else it takes to appeal to the voters.

If he comes out with this book, then he has locked himself into positions, and when challenged he wont be able to defend himself by saying "I didnt mean that" or anything else.
He will be challenged on every position he takes in the book, with no room to wiggle.

He will be shooting himself in the foot, bigtime.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 01:37 pm
Maybe. Or maybe with everything laid out in context and completely thought out and explained and directly in the hands of voters, it will be harder to misrepresent his policies and positions. Maybe, with adequate explanation, he might even convince people who don't agree with him. Maybe, we'll get to hear the reasons behind the decisions so that we don't just get into these "you want to steal our guns" vs. "you want to murder children with military assault weapons" arguments. Just my 2 cents.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 01:50 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

Maybe, with adequate explanation, he might even convince people who don't agree with him.

Maybe not...
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 04:17 pm
sozobe wrote:
The speech itself was substantial, wonkish, chock full o' policy, but the press coverage was mostly (not entirely, I am of course speaking in generalizations here) soundbitey and reductive.

Yeah, it was. They tried to make a flip flopping scandal yet again before collectively figuring out that American politics has flip flopping scandal fatigue.

But the part I don't get was why you think this is something they decided to do to Obama in particular.

Quote:
..the media has decided that the Obama story is that he's fluffy and rockstar-y, and the "Obama as wonk" story just doesn't fit.

They do this with everything and everyone in life. If even science is reduced to misleading soundbites why is it any different that Obama speeches are?
0 Replies