Who loves their job?

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 02:31 pm
Who out of you can say truthfully that you love what you do?

are you in your dream job, or in the worst job imaginable, or are you simply indifferent?

do you work to live or live to work?

It would just be interesting to know what people think seem to feel about their occupation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,136 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 02:56 pm
I'm a garden designer and I can honestly say I love what I do. I don't believe in job Utopia, but I have my moments. The good stuff: I mostly make my own hours and I do not work for four months out of the year. I like the creativity and the fact that I get to use my hard earned knowledge on a daily basis. My job has a beginning, a middle and an end that is usually satisfying and well received. I like working outside and I am my own boss. I get to fire my customers if they annoy me and I can "cherry pick" my jobs. There is more demand for my work than I can supply, so I don't worry about being unemployed. I create something that is beautiful and beneficial for humans and the environment. I sleep well at night.

Downside: I have to find good people on an annual basis to work with. They must be mature, strong and capable of following instructions. They must have a clean driver's license for insurance reasons (hard to find when you are talking about 22 year old males). The other big downside is the sheer physical demands it makes on my body, and as I get older this becomes a bigger issue. I also have a high risk for things like skin cancer, insurance companies know this and either will not cover me for it for years into the future or charge me huge rates in anticipation. Plus, as a self-employed individual, if I did get sick, I probably could not afford health insurance premiums for a long period of time and would lose everything.

My life and my work are happily intertwined.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 03:07 pm
I enjoy what I do and always have. Of course even what you love sometimes
gets on your nerves.... but you have to look at the big picture
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 04:50 pm
I like my job very much. I work in graphic arts, proofreading and doing quality checking on work to be printed. My work is appreciated (a big factor in job satisfaction, if you ask me) and I get along well with almost everyone who works here. It's not too hard to avoid the ones I don't get along with, so that aspect is smooth.

I want to learn more about InDesign (I was a typesetter for years but haven't used that program; it shouldn't be hard for me) and become more involved in the production side as well as QA.

I ride the bus (don't own a car or drive) and this location is two buses and nearly an hour and a half from where I live. That's a bummer, but it costs me the same to come this far as it would to go three miles, and I couldn't find a job this enjoyable closer to home.

I read, do crosswords, and make new friends on the bus ride. Life is good.
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 04:15 am
@existential potential,
i lived to work...b4 the canning. retail at Mal-Wart was my life. yet, i can't keep it.

they gave good benefits even to part-time associates, gave above minimum wages to everyone, Sunday Premiums, holiday pay, etc. Sometimes they served free food during profit sharing when everyone gets bonus checks. I didn't even last to see my share of it.

Not only that, I had friends there as well. Even the tasks itself was fun. Sure it could be stressful at times when it gets busy (i.e. holiday season), but that's what made it so much better. I like the challenges, the drama, etc.

sry...I still can't accept that I got canned, even though I prolly deserve it. Maybe its cuz I work very hard in my dept that I couldn't accept it. They said they weren't firing me for work performance, but still... They told me clearly why but it only made me regret what I did even more.

Maybe I should just work at home as medical transcriptionist. That way, if I fly off the handle, it won't be on company property.

P.S. Shouldn't be talking like this. I've just gotten into a habit of living in the past all my life. I should just break that habit and look towards the future.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 04:59 am
@existential potential,
existential potential wrote:

are you in your dream job, or in the worst job imaginable, or are you simply indifferent?

do you work to live or live to work?

It would just be interesting to know what people think seem to feel about their occupation.

I enjoy what I do.
I have complete freedom.
I am retired.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 05:02 am
@dirrtydozen22,
dirrtydozen22 wrote:

i lived to work...b4 the canning. retail at Mal-Wart was my life. yet, i can't keep it.

they gave good benefits even to part-time associates, gave above minimum wages to everyone, Sunday Premiums, holiday pay, etc. Sometimes they served free food during profit sharing when everyone gets bonus checks. I didn't even last to see my share of it.

Not only that, I had friends there as well. Even the tasks itself was fun. Sure it could be stressful at times when it gets busy (i.e. holiday season), but that's what made it so much better. I like the challenges, the drama, etc.

sry...I still can't accept that I got canned, even though I prolly deserve it. Maybe its cuz I work very hard in my dept that I couldn't accept it. They said they weren't firing me for work performance, but still... They told me clearly why but it only made me regret what I did even more.

Maybe I should just work at home as medical transcriptionist. That way, if I fly off the handle, it won't be on company property.

P.S. Shouldn't be talking like this. I've just gotten into a habit of living in the past all my life. I should just break that habit and look towards the future.

That is not the only retailer.

David
dirrtydozen22

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 05:06 am
@OmSigDAVID,
maybe not, but it;s the only place I coulda seen myself working for years on end. let me piece it together. i physically assaulted the pole. i got fired. omg, i'm worth less than a pole?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 06:17 am
@dirrtydozen22,
dirrtydozen22 wrote:

maybe not, but it;s the only place I coulda seen myself working for years on end.
let me piece it together. i physically assaulted the pole.
i got fired. omg, i'm worth less than a pole?

Since u feel so strongly that way,
perhaps u might offer to pay for
the pole and to effusively apologize
to whoever got mad at u
and u superhumbly promise to be extra-diplomatic
and polite to everyone with whom u come into contact,
maybe thay might take pity on u and relent,
if u convince them that thay will be safe from any further anger.
Tell them what u said about how much u love the job
and how u lived for it.

If the job means that much to u . . .
Good Luck

Since u cared as much as u have indicated
about doing a good job, probably u were worth
more to them than the pole, but people wanna have peace
and tranquility on the job. Thay don 't like screaming.
Maybe u figured that out already.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 09:36 am
I absolutely LOVE my job. I'm the activities director for a large community / subdivision. I work alone, I get a lot of positive feedback indicating I'm appreciated and I get to be creative.

I wonder if those that are creative (artisitc) and are in positions to get paid to be creative are the happiest workers...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 10:17 am
yes
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 05:50 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
So u think ALL monkeys r nasty drunks ?

Is that racism ?
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 09:46 pm
I think I like my current job, but this time I'm careful not to get too attached lol.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 10:05 pm
@existential potential,
existential potential wrote:

Quote:

I DO; I am retired.
That is undemanding n relaxing; it also endows me with a lot of freedom

David
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 02:50 am
@dirrtydozen22,
I have a love/hate relationship with mine.

dirrtydozen22

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 05:23 am
@dlowan,
where do you work at?
0 Replies