I Can't Believe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:00 am
that on every forum I frequent people are more interested in talking about John Edwards and where his dick has been than they are about Russia obvious provocative move against the US which is definitely one of the things the bombing of Georgia is about.

I guess I ought not to be surprised actually.... Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,323 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:10 am
I was very surprised when I clicked on CNN the other day for news about Russia invading Georgia and the lead story was Edwards followed by the Olympics. Sad comment on our world.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:22 am
seriously, i havent seen a thing about russia or georgia excep t on the internet

wtf kinda priorities are those?

russia is at war and we ignore it, well the news organizations do
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:24 am
Re: I Can't Believe
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Russia obvious provocative move against the US

I don't think that's what it is; at least not in its entirety. Not everything that happens in the world is about America.

But yeah, what Green Witch said...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:26 am
I don't think that's the only thing either...but they're pissed about missile shields and pissed that Georgia wants to join NATO and they specifically target areas that supply oil to the West. You don't have to be a brain surgeon.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:30 am
Yeah, I agree about priorities. I've been reading old europe's thread with interest, and also reading stuff about it online. Don't really have a good feel for what's going on yet, so still mostly in reading/ learning mode at this point.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:40 am
I typically only post in subject I am familiar with; I don't know a thing about Russia or Georgia so I haven't commented on it. I have noticed a lack of others commenting on it. Perhaps I should educated myself. Don't watch tv news so can't comment on that either. I tend to get too aggrivated depite it's rumored liberal leanings. I can always catch up on tv news on the internet.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:42 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I don't think that's the only thing either...but they're pissed about missile shields and pissed that Georgia wants to join NATO and they specifically target areas that supply oil to the West. You don't have to be a brain surgeon.

I absolutely agree about the whole missile shield/NATO thing. Some of that was, in my opinion, an unnecessary provocation of Russia. Maybe also going back to the neocons attempts at essentially splitting Europe, getting the "new" European countries on board of the neocon agenda...

However, I don't see how Russia would invade a country like Georgia merely to make a point, or because it was pissed off at America. Especially because Georgia has all those ties to the West. Why not just go ahead and invade Poland, if that was their point?

Natural resources... yes, certainly a point, too. But America isn't the only country with an interest in those. China is more and more dependent on oil and gas from that general region. The European Union is eager to break Russia's quasi-monopoly on natural gas.

America is just one player, and maybe not the most important one in this case.

Not saying you're wrong. Just saying that it seems quite a bit early to jump to conclusions...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:51 am
Again, I certainly don't think we're the only object of their attention but we ARE included in their little adventure IMO.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:55 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Again, I certainly don't think we're the only object of their attention but we ARE included in their little adventure IMO.

Yup. For sure. I was mostly objecting to how you phrased it as an "obvious provocative move against the US".
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:56 am
well, I think it was an obvious provocative move against the US... but the US among others. I also agree with you that bush and his cronies and their maneuvering does us no good.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:58 am
Bear
http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15422

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=120609
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:59 am
we are going to war with russia.

china wont get involed, they will wait to sieze land after everyone else is broke.

another ogionik prediction!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 10:04 am
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 10:10 am
countries we might be at war with.

russia
venezuela.
iran

on top of iraq and afghanistan?
whats next pakistan?
china?

good grief this **** costs moneymoneymoney
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 10:16 am
If the importance of the news decided what was in the news the Russia/Georgia conflict would be the lead. However, Americans are not much interested or knowledgeable about foreign events. If Russia takes out the BTC Americans will be interested, as it should be good for a 10 cent bump in gas prices....
Quote:
Russian jets targeted major oil pipeline-Georgia 09 Aug 2008 14:07:00 GMT
Source: Reuters
TBILISI, Aug 9 (Reuters) - Russian fighter jets targeted the the major Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan (BTC) oil pipeline which carries oil to the West from Asia but missed, Georgia's Economic Development Minister Ekaterina Sharashidze said on Saturday.

"This clearly shows that Russia has not just targeted Georgian economic outlets but international economic outlets in Georgia," she said at a news briefing.

There have been no independent verifications of Russian jets targeting the BTC pipeline. (Reporting by Margarita Antidze, writing by James Kilner, editing by Jon Boyle)

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L9618164.htm
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 10:20 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
well, I think it was an obvious provocative move against the US... but the US among others. I also agree with you that bush and his cronies and their maneuvering does us no good.

Well, Russia had 500 lightly armoured troops in South Ossetia on a "peacekeeping mission" - partly backed by Western countries. Russia had also, just on Thursday, introduced a motion in the UN Security Council to "appeal for an immediate ceasefire, an end to the fratricidal conflict and the resumption of talks".

Now, among the things that happened following this was that Georgia declined the Russian proposal. Following that, the Georgian Army started shelling the South Ossetian capital Tskhinvali using heavy artillery, and, in the wee hours of Friday, apparently sent tanks and fighters to attack and capture the city.

According to South Ossetian sources, more than 1,600 people died in the Georgian attacks.

Russia's reaction was to sent troops, which had been gathering on the Russian side of the border to Georgia/South Ossetia for a while, into the province.

So, even if this was a provocative move against the US, I certainly wouldn't call it an "obvious" one. All it does is getting us into the post-9/11 territory, where any kind of action was seen and reported as an "Attack On America" - be it anthrax, Afghanistan or Iraq.

I don't think that the hyperbole has done anyone any good.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 10:23 am
The new york times has a pretty good article with background information for people like me who are totally without a clue about any of the particulars.

Georgia (Country)
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 10:23 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
If the importance of the news decided what was in the news the Russia/Georgia conflict would be the lead. However, Americans are not much interested or knowledgeable about foreign events. If Russia takes out the BTC Americans will be interested, as it should be good for a 10 cent bump in gas prices....
Quote:
Russian jets targeted major oil pipeline-Georgia 09 Aug 2008 14:07:00 GMT
Source: Reuters
TBILISI, Aug 9 (Reuters) - Russian fighter jets targeted the the major Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan (BTC) oil pipeline which carries oil to the West from Asia but missed, Georgia's Economic Development Minister Ekaterina Sharashidze said on Saturday.

"This clearly shows that Russia has not just targeted Georgian economic outlets but international economic outlets in Georgia," she said at a news briefing.

There have been no independent verifications of Russian jets targeting the BTC pipeline. (Reporting by Margarita Antidze, writing by James Kilner, editing by Jon Boyle)

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L9618164.htm

Georgia has definitely a vested interest in making this into an international conflict, or at least a conflict where Western countries get involved. Preferably on the side of Georgia.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 10:30 am
old europe wrote:
Georgia has definitely a vested interest in making this into an international conflict, or at least a conflict where Western countries get involved. Preferably on the side of Georgia.

Ya, they want more distance between them and Russia, and are counting on the EU and America to come to their aid motivated by energy concerns. Georgia has badly miscalculated however, there will be no support for the Georgia agenda, only calls for both sides to knock it off.

At least as likely as it is for Russia to hit the pipeline is Georgia sabotaging it and blaming Russia. Either way, it continuing to operate is in doubt.
0 Replies