CIA official confesses order to forge Iraq-9/11 letter

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 07:52 pm
Tape: Top CIA official confesses order to forge Iraq-9/11 letter came on White House stationery John Byrne
Published: Friday August 8, 2008

In damning transcript, ex-CIA official says Cheney likely ordered letter linking Hussein to 9/11 attacks

A forged letter linking Saddam Hussein to the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks was ordered on White House stationery and probably came from the office of Vice President Dick Cheney, according to a new transcript of a conversation with the Central Intelligence Agency's former Deputy Chief of Clandestine Operations Robert Richer.

The transcript was posted Friday by author Ron Suskind of an interview conducted in June. It comes on the heels of denials by both the White House and Richer of a claim Suskind made in his new book, The Way of The World. The book was leaked to Politico's Mike Allen on Monday, and released Tuesday.

On Tuesday, the White House released a statement on Richer's behalf. In it, Richer declared, "I never received direction from George Tenet or anyone else in my chain of command to fabricate a document ... as outlined in Mr. Suskind's book."

The denial, however, directly contradicts Richer's own remarks in the transcript.

"Now this is from the Vice President's Office is how you remembered it--not from the president?" Suskind asked.

"No, no, no," Richer replied, according to the transcript. "What I remember is George [Tenet] saying, 'we got this from'--basically, from what George said was 'downtown.'"

"Which is the White House?" Suskind asked.

"Yes," Richer said. "But he did not--in my memory--never said president, vice president, or NSC. Okay? But now--he may have hinted--just by the way he said it, it would have--cause almost all that stuff came from one place only: Scooter Libby and the shop around the vice president."

"But he didn't say that specifically," Richer added. "I would naturally--I would probably stand on my, basically, my reputation and say it came from the vice president."

"But there wasn't anything in the writing that you remember saying the vice president," Suskind continued.

"Nope," Richer said.

"It just had the White House stationery."

"Exactly right."

Later, Richer added, "You know, if you've ever seen the vice president's stationery, it's on the White House letterhead. It may have said OVP (Office of the Vice President). I don't remember that, so I don't want to mislead you."

Suskind says decision to post transcript unusual
Suskind posted the transcript at his blog, saying, "This posting is contrary to my practice across 25 years as a journalist. But the issues, in this matter, are simply too important to stand as discredited in any way." It was first picked up by ThinkProgress and Congressional Quarterly's Jeff Stein.

Suskind's new book asserts that senior Bush officials ordered the CIA to forge a document "proving" that Saddam Hussein had been trying to manufacture nuclear weapons and was collaborating with al Qaeda. The alleged result was a faked memorandum from then chief of Saddam's intelligence service Tahir Jalil Habbush dated July 1, 2001, and written to Hussein.

The bogus memo claimed that 9/11 hijacker Mohammed Atta had received training in Baghdad but also discussed the arrival of a "shipment" from Niger, which the Administration was at the time claiming had supplied Iraq with yellowcake uranium -- based on yet another forged document whose source remains uncertain.

The memo subsequently was treated as fact by the British Sunday Telegraph, and cited by William Safire in his New York Times column, providing fodder for Bush's efforts to take the US to war.

"To characterize it right," Richer also declares in the transcript, "I would say, right: it came to us, George had a raised eyebrow, and basically we passed it on--it was to--and passed this on into the organization. You know, it was: 'Okay, we gotta do this, but make it go away.' To be honest with you, I don't want to make it sound--I for sure don't want to portray this as George jumping: 'Okay, this has gotta happen.' As I remember it--and, again, it's still vague, so I'll be very straight with you on this--is it wasn't that important. It was: 'This is unbelievable. This is just like all the other garbage we get about . . . I mean Mohammad Atta and links to al Qaeda. 'Rob,' you know, 'do something with this.' I think it was more like that than: 'Get this done.'"

Magazine asserts Feith created bogus document
Today, The American Conservative also published a report saying that the forgery was actually produced by then-Defense Undersecretary Douglas Feith's Office of Special Plans, citing an unnamed intelligence source. The source reportedly added that Suskind's overall claim "is correct."

"My source also notes that Dick Cheney, who was behind the forgery, hated and mistrusted the Agency and would not have used it for such a sensitive assignment," the magazine wrote. "Instead, he went to Doug Feith's Office of Special Plans and asked them to do the job. … It was Feith's office that produced the letter and then surfaced it to the media in Iraq. Unlike the [Central Intelligence] Agency, the Pentagon had no restrictions on it regarding the production of false information to mislead the public. Indeed, one might argue that Doug Feith's office specialized in such activity."

More of Suskind's transcripts are available here.
link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,251 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 09:13 pm
Probably about as reliable as your conspiracy theory about the president planning to bomb Iran by August.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 07:56 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Probably about as reliable as your conspiracy theory about the president planning to bomb Iran by August.

Brandon, I don't think it will be as effective this time to brush this off another conspiracy theory. He says he has tapes, that was a portion of some of the tapes and there is more to follow. He is not backing down so he must know he has something to prove what he has alleged.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 09:06 am
New evidence suggests Ron Suskind is right
What was an Iraqi politician doing at CIA headquarters just days before he distributed a fake memo incriminating Saddam Hussein in 9/11?
link
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 09:56 am
Massive US Naval Armada Heads For Iran

Operation Brimstone ended only one week ago. This was the joint US/UK/French naval war games in the Atlantic Ocean preparing for a naval blockade of Iran and the likely resulting war in the Persian Gulf area. The massive war games included a US Navy supercarrier battle group, an US Navy expeditionary carrier battle group, a Royal Navy carrier battle group, a French nuclear hunter-killer submarine plus a large number of US Navy cruisers, destroyers and frigates playing the "enemy force".

The lead American ship in these war games, the USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN71) and its Carrier Strike Group Two (CCSG-2) are now headed towards Iran along with the USS Ronald Reagon (CVN76) and its Carrier Strike Group Seven (CCSG-7) coming from Japan.

They are joining two existing USN battle groups in the Gulf area: the USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN72) with its Carrier Strike Group Nine (CCSG-9); and the USS Peleliu (LHA-5) with its expeditionary strike group.

Likely also under way towards the Persian Gulf is the USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7) and its expeditionary strike group, the UK Royal Navy HMS Ark Royal (R07) carrier battle group, assorted French naval assets including the nuclear hunter-killer submarine Amethyste and French Naval Rafale fighter jets on-board the USS Theodore Roosevelt. These ships took part in the just completed Operation Brimstone.

The build up of naval forces in the Gulf will be one of the largest multi-national naval armadas since the First and Second Gulf Wars. The intent is to create a US/EU naval blockade (which is an Act of War under international law) around Iran (with supporting air and land elements) to prevent the shipment of benzene and certain other refined oil products headed to Iranian ports. Iran has limited domestic oil refining capacity and imports 40% of its benzene. Cutting off benzene and other key products would cripple the Iranian economy. The neo-cons are counting on such a blockade launching a war with Iran.

The US Naval forces being assembled include the following: link
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 10:53 am
blueflame1 wrote:
What was an Iraqi politician doing at CIA headquarters just days before he distributed a fake memo incriminating Saddam Hussein in 9/11?
link

I suppose the idea of posting an article about something good America has done isn't in your interest range.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 11:05 am
The bush administration and it's appointed people are not America; merely Americans. It is being American to point out what you believe the ones in power are doing wrong.

"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does NOT mean to stand by the President or any other public official save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country."

Theodore Roosevelt
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 11:10 am
Brandon, oh yeah an American invented peanut butter right? Still great as peanut butter is a little bad undoes a lot of good and building WW3 is more than a little bad.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 11:19 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
blueflame1 wrote:
link

I suppose the idea of posting an article about something good America has done isn't in your interest range.

When a policeman breaks numerous laws, it's hardly the time to focus on his Rotary Club activities.
slkshock7

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 05:36 pm
Well, I've read the entire transcript.

It's pretty confusing with lots of references to previous conversations, disjointed flow and incomplete sentences....But my take is still that this is standard Suskind nonsense.

Suskind wrote:
You know, the prewar stuff, cause there's zillions of people in on that part. And there's people in on the second part, too. But here's my question to you: before I, as I said, before I jog your memory on this stuff, what do you--and I think I have a good idea, cause I've asked you this seven different ways, but I just want to make absolutely sure--what do you remember?

This sounds to me like a guy intent on reinforcing his preconceived version of what happened "....before I jog your memory"..."I think I have a good idea..."....I've asked you this seven different ways...".

CIA guy wrote:
It was part of--as I remember it, it wasn't so much to influence America--that's illegal--but it was kinda like a covert, a way to influence Iraqis.

Here's the guy stating out right that nothing was done "to influence America"...and nothing done that was illegal.

Suskind wrote:
Ron: The intent--the basic raison d'etre of this product is to get, is to create, here's a letter with what's in it. Okay, here's what we want on the letter, we want it to be released as essentially a representation of something Habbush says. That's all it says, that's the one paragraph. And then you pass it to whomever to do it. To get it done.

Note that it's Suskind who brings up the "intent" and volunteers that "the product" was to represent what Habbush said. I think this is what's called "leading the witness"...

CIA guy wrote:
so I saw the original. I got a copy of it.

This is the only thing that offers a bit of substance. If he's got a copy, let's see it.

Quote:
Ron: Now this is from the Vice President's Office is how you remembered it--not from the president?

Rob: No, no, no. What I remember is George saying, 'we got this from'--basically, from what George said was 'downtown.'

Ron: Which is the White House?

Rob: Yes. But he did not--in my memory--never said president, vice president, or NSC. Okay? But now--he may have hinted--just by the way he said it, it would have--cause almost all that stuff came from one place only: Scooter Libby and the shop around the vice president.

Ron: Yeah, right.

Rob: But he didn't say that specifically. I would naturally--I would probably stand on my, basically, my reputation and say it came from the vice president.

Note again that the only evidence that this came from the WH was an offhand remark from Tenet saying it came from "downtown" that this guy assumed meant the WH and from there he leaps to the conclusion that it came from the VP office because "all that stuff came from...Scooter Libby and the shop around the vice president".

Suskind needs to show the memo...if he or the CIA guy really has a copy. I expect we haven't seen it because it does not exist. I'll eat my hat if it does.

If this transcript is the best that Suskind's got, then the WH has nothing to worry about.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 06:00 pm
A second rebuttal to Suskind from Rob Richer, the CIA guy that Suskind provided transcripts for...

Quote:
August 8, 2008

Statement from Rob Richer

I stand by my earlier statement: "I never received direction from George Tenet or anyone else in my chain of command to fabricate a document from Habbush as outlined in Mr. Suskind's book." For the record, no one outside my chain of command directed me to do so either.

Mr. Suskind has now released an edited transcript of an apparent conversation between us that he alleges supports one of the central themes in his book. It does not.

As to the substance of the edited transcripts presented by Mr. Suskind: I had many discussions with senior Agency leadership regarding what I saw as the fixation, by some parts of the Administration, on a purported Al-Qa'ida and Saddam link. I also had internal discussions during the fall of 2003 regarding the possibility of using Habbush in some way to minimize the impact of the growing Iraqi insurgency. Many of the questions from "downtown" did raise eyebrows and on more than one occasion I was directed to do things which we considered a waste of time.

It is important to note, however, in the transcript just released, I make no mention of having received an order to fabricate the letter as claimed by Mr. Suskind in his book. I do speak to discussions regarding using Habbush, which were frequent during that period, but what I was talking about was the possibility of using him to tamp down the insurgency - not to influence western public opinion.

I note from the edited transcripts posted by Mr. Suskind that I stated: "this was a non-event." The fabrication of a letter as claimed by Mr. Suskind would have been much more than a "non-event." I also say that the project "died a natural death." An order such as the one outlined by Mr. Suskind would have been a huge event - and in my opinion illegal. An order to fabricate such a document would have been rejected out of hand and it is improbable to believe anyone would write such a request. In the edited transcript I am vague on the circumstances of whatever the issue was regarding Habbush. I would have had much clearer recollections of an issue or order of the sensational magnitude outlined by Mr. Suskind.

During my time as a senior officer, I saw many documents from various offices of the White House regarding many topics. They were, in fact, on white paper. I was asked to respond to documents regarding the potential use of Habbush upon his defection and during the difficult fall of 2003 when we were wrestling with a developing Iraqi insurgency and ways to combat it. I was also involved in many queries from elements of the Administration trying to document an Al-Qa'ida and Saddam government link; proof of which was never found. Many of such queries did originate from the staff of the Office of the Vice President. None of this, however, substantiates Mr. Suskind's explosive allegation.

For the record, I am not a government contractor and left my last professional position with Total Intelligence Solutions in February 2008. Thus, contrary to Mr. Suskind's comments, I've been under no pressure to change my position on what is in the book.

On his website today Mr. Suskind says Rob Richer received a copy of The Way of the World on Monday night, August 4, the day before publication. On Tuesday, he said he had read key portions of the book and was comfortable with what they contained. Once again he misleads. When I heard that his book was coming out and some of what he was asserting I called him and demanded a copy. He had his assistant deliver one to me at 9 PM on August 4. After reading the book, far from being comfortable, I told Mr. Suskind that many of the things he wrote about what I did and said were wrong.

I notice that Sir Richard Dearlove and Nigel Inkster, former senior British intelligence officials have released statements in the last 24 hours decrying Mr. Suskind's efforts to manipulate and misrepresent their comments. My experience has been the same.

It is clear that he did record some of our conversations - but at no time did he inform me that he was doing so or seek my permission. I plan to consult counsel about the legality of his action.

I stand by my earlier statement and my absolute belief that the charges outlined in Mr. Suskind's book regarding Agency involvement in forging documents are not true.

http://suskindresponse.googlepages.com/richerresponse080808

Note that Richer is not the only victim of Suskind's manipulation and misrepresentation...

Nigel Inkster wrote:
Mr Suskind appears to have conflated separate conversations; one about the problems of reading Saddam Hussein's intentions, an issue which is dealt with in the Butler report, and one about Habbush. I made it clear to Mr Suskind that I was in no position to comment on the substance or significance of any dealings with the latter since I had not been privy to the detail of what had taken place, something Mr Suskind has chosen not to mention. And, in any event, I had made it clear to Mr Suskind, when first he approached me, that I would not divulge classified information to which I had had access during my time in government.

Mr Suskind's characterisation of our meeting is more the stuff of creative fiction than serious reportage, and seeks to make more of it than the circumstances or the content warranted.
source
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 07:47 pm
revel wrote:
The bush administration and it's appointed people are not America; merely Americans. It is being American to point out what you believe the ones in power are doing wrong.

"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does NOT mean to stand by the President or any other public official save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country."

Theodore Roosevelt

Yes, yes, one shouldn't support one's country or its leader in doing something wrong, but when you get to the point that your hobby is listing horrible things about your country regularly, with no example of anything good to balance it, you're simply someone who doesn't much like your country.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 07:49 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Brandon, oh yeah an American invented peanut butter right? Still great as peanut butter is a little bad undoes a lot of good and building WW3 is more than a little bad.

The point is that enumerating America's faults is in your area of interest and stating anything good about it (of which there are many examples) isn't. The fact that the item you mentioned (peanut butter) is a ridiculous item, when you might have cited a real one, is indicative of your true feelings.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 07:50 pm
JTT wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
blueflame1 wrote:
link

When a policeman breaks numerous laws, it's hardly the time to focus on his Rotary Club activities.

But when you live in a country and have only bad things to say about it, your feelings are pretty clear.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 09:33 pm
Oh Jesus, thought police - how many "what's good about America" threads have you started? Isn't your main activity on the political threads slamming liberals and defending conservatives?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 02:34 pm
"But when you live in a country and have only bad things to say about it, your feelings are pretty clear."

I am of the opinion that Blueflame is a born American but a rational one to expose the myths and hypocracy.
the author of the above mentioned quote is not critical to correct the American administration's banal politics.
Rama Fuchs
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 07:17 am
snood wrote:
Oh Jesus, thought police - how many "what's good about America" threads have you started? Isn't your main activity on the political threads slamming liberals and defending conservatives?

It's undeniable that someone who makes many, many "look at this bad thing America has done," posts but never is seen to have anything at all good to say about it, almost certainly doesn't like America. If I made post after post about how bad you are, and how you should be thrown off A2K, and never had anything good to say about you to balance it, would you think that I liked you? It's just elementary common sense.
blueflame1

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 11:37 am
House Judiciary to examine claim of White House intel forgery by Nick Juliano
Published: Wednesday August 13, 2008

The blockbuster claims that White House officials conspired to forge evidence linking Iraq to 9/11 plotters and ignored clear intelligence indicating Saddam Hussein's lack of WMDs may not be getting as much attention as it should in the US press, but some key lawmakers are beginning to take notice.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers says his staff will investigate these allegations and others aired in Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Ron Suskind's new book, The Way of the World: A Story of Truth and Hope in an Age of Extremism.

"I am particularly troubled that the decision to disseminate this fabricated intelligence is alleged to have come from the highest reaches of the administration," Conyers said in a press release Tuesday evening. "The administration's attempt to challenge Mr. Suskind's reporting appears to have been effectively dismissed by the publication of the author's interview recordings and transcripts. I have instructed my staff to conduct a careful review of Mr. Suskind's allegations and the role played by senior administration officials in this matter."

The announced probe garnered quick praise from Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH), who has waged a months-long campaign to convince his colleagues and Democratic leaders in the House to impeach President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney. Suskind has said the allegations outlined in his book could be impeachable offenses.

According to Conyers' office, the Judiciary Committee staff's investigation will focus on the following areas:

· The origin of the allegedly forged document that formed the basis for Bush's 2003 State of the Union assertion that Iraq sought yellowcake uranium from Niger;

· The role of this document in creating the false impression that 9/11 hijacker Mohammed Atta had a working relationship with Iraq;

· The relationship between this document and other reported examples of the Bush Administration considering other deceptive schemes to justify or provoke war with Iraq, such as the reported consideration of painting a U.S. aircraft with UN colors in order to provoke Iraq into military confrontation;

· Allegations that the Bush Administration deliberately ignored information from Iraq's chief intelligence officer that Iraq possessed no WMDs;

· The payment of $5 million to Iraq's chief intelligence officer and his secret settlement in Jordan, beyond the reach of investigators;

·The September 2007 detainment and interrogation of Mr. Suskind's research assistant, Greg Jackson, by federal agents in Manhattan. Jackson's notes were also confiscated.
Kucinich, who was a Democratic presidential candidate earlier this year, last week requested an investigation of the book's claims.

"If true," he said, "the Administration fabricated evidence and used it to lead the country into an unprovoked war."
link
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:57 am
@Brandon9000,
While appreciate your patriotic views of your country, i begto draw your kind attention that you aare one-sided if not parochial patriot.
Sorry.
Rama
Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 11:09 am
@JTT,
I suppose the idea of posting an article about something good America has done isn't in your interest
I can post innumerable praiseworthy, patriotic views about USA.
But I wish to expose the American system