Who does this help???

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 12:53 pm
I probably could have put this in the thread about George Bush's legacy, but I decided it neded its own thread.

IF this is true, and I stress IF, which candidate or party will this help most?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26074685/

Quote:
BAGHDAD - Iraq and the U.S. are near an agreement on all American combat troops leaving Iraq by October 2010, with the last soldiers out three years after that, two Iraqi officials told The Associated Press on Thursday. U.S. officials, however, insisted no dates had been agreed.

If this is true, I cant help but think that the effect on both parties will be minimal.
It will help McCain and the repubs because it was a repub that got us into the war and he will be able to say that the repubs did exactly what they had been saying they would do..."leave when Iraq was secure".

It will also help Obama and the dems because they can say that our govt caved in to their pressure.

So, I think it will be a wash.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 824 • Replies: 9
No top replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 01:06 pm
Neither one will help "us", only themselves.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 03:42 pm
I don't think it'll help McCain directly, people either feel the need to have it in for the war or they don't - but I think it'll hurt Obama, make him look like he went of half-cocked. It would hurt Barr a bit for the same reason, but in the long run it would bring us closer to what would be peace via Libertarianism, which is far from, to my mind, the liberal take on it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:10 pm
The economy is far more important to swing voters (i.e. those not already certain votes for one side or the other) than the Iraq war. When Obama wins, it will be difficult to tell if anything else (including this) had any effect on the outcome.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 06:35 pm
It will help McCain, in my opinion, since the families of the military, that are now in Iraq, or can be deployed there, can vote for McCain, without thinking they are extending the war for their respective loved ones by doing so.

I believe it will help McCain further, since with Iraq leaving the collective consciousness of many voters, many may realize that whatever transpires, in the next four years adversarily with the Middle East, might just rely on the Navy. McCain is the right Commander In Chief, in my opinion, to oversee a Naval operation.

It will not help Obama, in my opinion, since this commitment takes one more criticism of the Republicans away from Obama.

It will help the United States in its foreign diplomacy, since the result of Iraq is the country has many battle-tested troops.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 06:53 pm
Mysteryman
McCain is too old and Obama is too immatured.
Your country is between frying fan to the fire.

No termin.
Just quit and repent.
You were there professionally
I I was there as an observer.
Let us die honestly without showing/waving our filthy flag
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 08:36 pm
Shocked
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 11:08 pm
mcacain is a moron.

if he gets voted president this country is seriously done for.

obama or bust.

mccain cant even run a decent ad campaign, how the hell is he going to run a country? obama is well spoken, and intelligent. not to mention flexible and up to date.i dont even care about politics but damn, its obvious.

when mccain wins ill laugh my ass off. then move to norway.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 05:24 am
When McCain wins I'm sure you will find many A2K'ers willing to come help you pack for your move. All you'll need to do is ask.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 06:24 am
I think this helps the republicans. Much of the public is against the war and therefore, for Obama. If the war were to appear as though it's ending regardless of who is elected; then it would swing more people to McCain.

Also, this wouldn't look negative for the republicans either. They've long said that if the Iraqi's ask us to leave, we'll leave.

Now, if the republicans decide to stay, even though Iraq is asking us to leave, then we have a different story.
0 Replies