Cheney denies role in Halliburton deal

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 05:01 pm
Cheney denies role in Halliburton deal
September 14 2003 at 06:30PM
Independent On Line

Washington - United States Vice-President Dick Cheney said on Sunday that he played no role in awarding lucrative contracts for reconstruction in Iraq to his former firm, Halliburton, and that allegations he was involved were "political cheap shots."

"Since I left Halliburton to become George Bush's vice-president I severed all my ties with the company, got rid of all my financial interest," Cheney said in an interview with NBC television's Meet the Press.

"I have no financial interest in Halliburton of any kind and haven't had now for over three years," he said.

"And as vice-president I have absolutely no influence of, involvement of, knowledge of in any way shape or form of contracts led by the (US Army) Corps of Engineers or anybody else in the federal government," he added.

Among the contracts awarded to Halliburton is one from the US Army Corps of Engineers worth nearly $950-million (about R7-billion) to rehabilitate Iraq's oil fields.

The deal has come in for criticism from some members of the US Congress because it was awarded without competitive bidding.

Cheney noted that Halliburton had "traditionally done a lot of work with the US government" and said he had nothing to do with the awarding of the contracts to the company he headed for five years before becoming vice-president.

"Nobody has produced one single shred of evidence that there's anything wrong or inappropriate here, it's nothing but innuendo, and basically political cheap shots," Cheney said. - Sapa-AFP
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 481 • Replies: 4
No top replies

eoe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 05:16 pm
He's a blood-sucking vampire.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 05:32 pm
Quote:
"Nobody has produced one single shred of evidence that there's anything wrong or inappropriate here, it's nothing but innuendo, and basically political cheap shots," Cheney said.

Which of course explains why the energy discussions were made secret. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:18 am
Of course, public and perception by some of the media is wrong, said Dick Chaney:

Iraq still has nuclear, chemical and biological W.M.D.s. It is just that they are hidden so well that no one, not even Iraqis, can find them - which explains why they weren't used against our forces during the invasion.

American occupation and armed forces are being welcomed with open arms all over Iraq.

The ever-growing numbers of American deaths in Iraq are prices worth paying. Also, many of the deaths are accidental rather than from deliberate attacks.

The worst budget deficit in American history is nothing to be worried about. Nor are millions more out of jobs. All the experts warning of worse deficits and impending financial disaster should be ignored.

The fact that Haliburton (of which he was Chief Executive) has been awarded billions of dollars in UNCONTESTED contracts is pure coincidence and has nothing to do with him.

Having watched him being interviewed in depth, I have formed the impression that, much like Rumsfeld, he is not only far smarter than his alleged boss - but even better at lying. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:56 am
John Webb
John Webb, you must get back on your medication. :wink: How else could you concluded that Cheney is even remotely capable of lying, much less cheating and looting the US Treasurery. Evil or Very Mad

I hope you keep posting---you are very astute. Very Happy

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies