Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 05:54 am
our clothes dryer of a number of years (~8-10) is acting up on us.

it's a Kenmore Series 80.
it has an auto-moisture sensor, which we've alwys used.

problem is it doesn't always get hot.

a basket-full of stuff normally takes about an hour to properly dry

the other day, it ran -- ran cold -- for about 6 hours while we were out.

lately i've been unplugging/re-plugging it from/to it's outlet, and that seems to help a bit with the heat.

it had worked like a charm up until recently.
the only repair was a belt replacement 2 or 3 years ago.

should we attempt to get it repaired, or is it time to just send it out to pasture?

thanx...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,260 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 07:03 am
It prolly just needs a new heating element, not real hard to do, nor terribly expensive...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 07:27 am
Do yourself a favor and get a gas dryer. Electric dryers are horribly expensive to operate. I have Kenmore HE2 that matches the front loading washer. I don't much like the washer, but the dryer kicks ass - and it doesn't leave stuff all wrinkled. Works like a charm.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 09:19 am
Quote:
lately i've been unplugging/re-plugging it from/to it's outlet, and that seems to help a bit with the heat.

Hmm that doesnt sound good. Dodgy electrical connection? look for signs of arcing. Black or burnt areas at/near wiring joins. or aas rock said replace element.
I've no experience with this type of dryer but it may be worth checking the thermostat. Generally fairly cheap if you can get at it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 09:26 am
Quote:

Region- Call me neurotic, but I would NEVER run a clothes washer or dryer with no one in the house..............................especially when the machine in not working properly. I would be concerned about short circuits, and other manner of mischief.

Personally, I think that it is probably time to get a new machine. Unless you have a friend who fixes appliances as a favor, it will cost quite a few bucks to get an repairman to your house, and even if he can fix it, between the service call and the cost of the part, you would still be putting a lot of money into an old machine.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 09:29 am
Rockhead wrote:
It prolly just needs a new heating element, not real hard to do, nor terribly expensive...
a possibility...

cjhsa wrote:
Do yourself a favor and get a gas dryer. Electric dryers are horribly expensive to operate. I have Kenmore HE2 that matches the front loading washer. I don't much like the washer, but the dryer kicks ass - and it doesn't leave stuff all wrinkled. Works like a charm.
it's attached to a gas line, so i assume that makes it a gas dryer?

dadpad wrote:
Quote:

Hmm that doesnt sound good. Dodgy electrical connection? look for signs of arcing. Black or burnt areas at/near wiring joins. or aas rock said replace element.
I've no experience with this type of dryer but it may be worth checking the thermostat. Generally fairly cheap if you can get at it.
although the house wiring is ancient, the outlet (a GFCI) was installed 13 years ago...

thanx for the replies.

i'm trying to decide between repair and new purchase.
how many years would a repair tack onto it's life, and would it be cost effective?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 09:33 am
Sounds like it is a gas dryer - if you replace it make sure to get another gas dryer - they cost about $50 more than their electric counterparts, but are much cheaper to operate, and you need a 220 outlet for en electric dryer.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 09:34 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

Region- Call me neurotic, but I would NEVER run a clothes washer or dryer with no one in the house..............................especially when the machine in not working properly. I would be concerned about short circuits, and other manner of mischief.
good pernt.
we do that routinely, and should cease+desist...

Quote:
Personally, I think that it is probably time to get a new machine. Unless you have a friend who fixes appliances as a favor, it will cost quite a few bucks to get an repairman to your house, and even if he can fix it, between the service call and the cost of the part, you would still be putting a lot of money into an old machine.[/color][/b]

i'm starting to lean in that direction.

i think i'll go the estimate route first, then see what Sears is asking for a new one...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 09:36 am
The new Sears models come with a feature called "wrinkle guard". All it does it active the tumbler every few minutes after the dry cycle has finished if you don't come and get the laundry. But it really helps.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 09:42 am
Quote:
although the house wiring is ancient, the outlet (a GFCI) was installed 13 years ago...

i meant internally, inside the dryer.

if its a gas dryer that (probably) rules out the electric element as a cause.

Which leaves
gas supply, igniter (to start the gas burning) which could be effected by plugging/unplugging, or the thermostat.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 09:49 am
My advice was per electric dryers, please disregard...

Embarrassed
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 09:51 am
One tip about dryers - buy the largest capacity one you can afford. The bigger they are the faster they dry - and they wrinkle less.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 10:07 am
dadpad wrote:
Quote:

i meant internally, inside the dryer.

if its a gas dryer that (probably) rules out the electric element as a cause.

Which leaves
gas supply, igniter (to start the gas burning) which could be effected by plugging/unplugging, or the thermostat.
my FIL would prolly be able to trouble-shoot this.
i'm all thumbs when it comes to taking apart/putting back, so him walking me through it over the phone ain't an option...

Rockhead wrote:
My advice was per electric dryers, please disregard...

Embarrassed
no harm/no foul -- it's good advice for folks who own them...

cjhsa wrote:
One tip about dryers - buy the largest capacity one you can afford. The bigger they are the faster they dry - and they wrinkle less.
this is what we have -- it can prolly hold two medium size loads...

http://noelappliance.com/dddddddddddddddddd2.jpg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 10:09 am
Region- For instance, a few years ago one of the hoses that ran to my washer burst. It took me a bit of time to figure out where the strange noise was coming from. I turned off the water at the central main.

In those few minutes, the water ended soaking the carpeting in a number of rooms. The insurance carrrier brought in huge fans, which spread the mold around, and caused Mr. P. to have an asthma attack.

On the bright side, we ended up getting a few roomfuls of new carpeting, and some rooms repainted, but it was a few miserable weeks intil everything got done.

can you imagine what would have happened if I were not at home?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 10:15 am
$50.00 plus travel and accomadation. Ill have it fixed in a jiffy.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 10:20 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
In those few minutes, the water ended soaking the carpeting in a number of rooms. The insurance carrrier brought in huge fans, which spread the mold around, and caused Mr. P. to have an asthma attack.
there's a punchline in there somewhere.
i sincerely hope you've switched carriers...

dadpad wrote:
$50.00 plus travel and accomadation. Ill have it fixed in a jiffy.
such a bargain...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 10:27 am
Before you do anything else, disconnect the exhaust vent and clean it out.

Dryer vents tend to get plugged up with lint over the years and if there is enough in there it will restrict the air flow. Many (most?) gas dryers have an air flow sensor and the dryer won't heat up for safety reasons if the air flow is to low.

It costs you nothing to check it...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 10:42 am
fishin wrote:
Before you do anything else, disconnect the exhaust vent and clean it out.

Dryer vents tend to get plugged up with lint over the years and if there is enough in there it will restrict the air flow. Many (most?) gas dryers have an air flow sensor and the dryer won't heat up for safety reasons if the air flow is to low.

It costs you nothing to check it...

good idea.
we replaced the vent two summers ago, so it is due for a once-over...

but if it is clogged (which wouldn't shock me), wouldn't the air flow sensor always prevent the dryer from heating up?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 05:58 pm
It is a gas dryer; we'll see what happens when we clean out the vent this weekend but frankly I'm not that optimistic. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and ideas.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 07:14 pm
forgot all about this thread... Mr. Green

so yesterday i removed a few handfuls of lint from the external end of the vent.
the dryer has been a bit better since, but still not @ 100%.

tomorrow the vent gets a thorough vacuumin'...
0 Replies