Rockhead

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 09:12 pm
@boomerang,
waycool, boom...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 09:14 pm
@boomerang,
So.... IQ is higher and reading ability lower? I see that often. It's frustrating for the kids. But, reading he can learn.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 09:52 pm
Yeah... his IQ is higher than his reading ability. It is frustrating for him. We talked a lot about how he really understands what he reads, how he soaks it in, better than most kids but that he has a hard time reading it by himself.

It is way cool!

You want to know the best part? The best part is that each person in the meeting said how happy he is. They'd all read the reports and the diagnosis of depression and they'd read about his history and they just loved the fact that he seems so happy.

I tried to explain how we work on happy. How I felt that while other people were working on reading that we were working on happy.

I LOVE it that he's happy. Happy is big.
sozobe

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 07:34 am
@boomerang,
Happy is huge.

Great news boomer! Good work. (Your own work and the school's -- you picked the school, it's not just incidental.)
littlek

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 12:38 pm
@sozobe,
Happy is gargantuan!

Do they know why the reading is low? Speed (fast or slow)? Comprehension?
boomerang

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 04:03 pm
@littlek,
Not really, little k. His speed is slow but his comprehension is actually above average. He retains an amazing amount of information.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 04:44 pm
Bookmark.

Really interesting thread. I'm not on a2k often enough to keep track of different threads and almost missed yours.

Love the way you and Mo are developing together, in your different ways. It's beautiful.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 10:04 pm
Dang!

Mo's drum teacher tonight was talking about how things seem to really be clicking and how Mo is really starting to "get it".

Mo even played a little drum concert for me tonight and he sounded good.

Happy Thanksgiving indeed!
dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 02:33 am
@boomerang,
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!
Stormwatch

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 06:53 pm
@dlowan,
Boomerang, I had kinda lost track of this thread for a while, but I'm really glad I found it again. Very Happy It sounds like things are going very well for Mo and you. Half of the battle with a learning disability is finding out what it is and where to go from there. It sounds like the school is right on it. A little while in a reading program designed for Mo's needs and you will be seeing lots of improvement. I'm so glad he is having a happy year....that's just the way it should be. Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 03:32 pm
I'm just bringing this back up for myself so I can find it easier.......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 04:09 pm
Any progress on the meeting date?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 08:30 pm
The meeting (the second meeting, the one from the other thread) was today. I was just rebookmarking this tread since I was going back and forth and wanted some info off here to take in.

But...

The meeting went really well. I'm glad it's over, I've been a bit stressed out about it.

Mo's teacher forgot that we had that huge evaluation done and that we had met about it once before. Amazingly annoying but completely understandable.

If we stay at the school, I don't think any other teacher will ever forget it again. The principal attended the meeting too. I think they expected us to start sceaming lawsuit or something and they were surprised that we weren't jerks.

boomerang

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 08:41 pm
Oh ..... I didn't mention how cool his teacher was about everything.

She let us bring his backlog of unfinished work home so he could have a clean slate at school and set up a meeting for Thursday morning for all of us (me, Mr. B, Mo and her) to get together mostly to show Mo that we're all in this together, pulling for his success.

She was great. She admitted that she had totally screwed up with her conversation with Mr. B and that she was committed to getting things straight.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 09:06 pm
Sounds good. And what will happen in the classroom from here on out?
boomerang

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 09:23 pm
@littlek,
A lot of it is still being hammered out. Mostly it has to do with switching to a more positive reinforcement technique than punishment, which is what is happening now.

I don't mean letting him get away with things. Nobody wants that. I guess it's kind of a gradual reward system, which is what we've been doing at home.

Things have been getting a bit better at school since I set up a reward system at home but the bad thing about it is that we've had to stop doing a lot of the social things that it was recommended that we do.

I told them that I felt like I always had to chose between being a good parent and trying to help him emotionally and psychologically and making him a good student behaviorally and that I didn't like being there; that I didn't think it was fair to him. So we're working that out. You can't just throw a bunch of new stuff at Mo and expect anything good to come out of it so it will be a gradual process to determine what works.
dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:40 am
@boomerang,
Hope it goes well.

Forgot?

Oh my.

It's good that the mistake was openly admitted to and that the teacher is willing to learn.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 07:23 am
@boomerang,
Forgot. Forgot?!

Everything post-"forgot" sounds fab though.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 07:43 am
Forgot actually explains a lot.

And really, if you knew him, you would never guess that he has so many...... errr......differences. It is really easy to fall into a pattern and think he's just being lazy without stopping to think that the problem is really with the way you're trying to do things.
sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 07:47 am
@boomerang,
Forgot is one of the best possible outcomes, especially paired with her willingness to admit her mistake and her willingness to do the right thing from now on. Just kind of boggling. I know teaching is a hard job, a lot to keep straight, that one's kinda big though.

Anyway, again I'm glad that everything is towards fixing the current situation -- cool.
0 Replies