Teachers -- school me in "verbal"

dadpad

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 06:30 pm
@boomerang,
pre visit the classroom. Just to see the layout and possibly meet the teacher. perhaps several trips to get the hang of the school layout. Its fear of the unknown that's the killer.

Stormwatch

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 09:08 am
@dadpad,
boomerang, Just wondering how the year has started off? Did you get a meeting together and is teacher receptive to making accomodations to meet Mo's needs?
Hoping for the best for both of you.
sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 09:10 am
@Stormwatch,
Thanks for asking, Stormwatch. I've been curious too.

Hope the news is good, but of course interested and happy to listen either way...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 10:45 am
@Stormwatch,
It's all going pretty good!

I haven't had a formal meeting with anyone yet just a few pointed conversations. I'm hoping to ease into things and be able to address any problems as they come up.

Mo really likes his teacher. She's waaaayyyyy laid back. Very calm. Serene. This is good; Mo tends to panic and get frustrated with things so quickly and keeping one's cool is the only way to get it all back on track.

Since Mo doesn't like to eat breakfast we've been playing with his morning diet by making protein smoothies which is really helping a lot. It seems to really even out his mood.

So..... so far, so good! Thanks for asking!
littlek

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:08 pm
@boomerang,
What? So you haven't emailed his teacher 12 times already? You're doing grat!

Glad to hear things are smooth!
boomerang

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:26 am
@littlek,
Your SPED thread has kept me balanced and thoughful about my actions. Thank you for that.

I might have spoken too soon. Mo stole a little toy (Hot Wheels) from the school yesterday. It took forever to get the truth out of him without flat out calling him a liar -- which I didn't want to do even though I was sure he was lying. This morning we're going in early to sort that all out.

<sigh>

Last year started off very similar.

<sigh>
sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 10:15 am
@boomerang,
Well dang.

Sounds like this teacher is going to much more promising to work with though.
boomerang

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 11:41 am
@sozobe,
Dang indeed.

He had told me he won the car as a prize for doing good on a quiz.

Things went great with the teacher this morning. We managed to catch her a couple of minutes before school started. Mo returned the car, made his apology, explained that he knew what he did was wrong, and promised it wouldn't happen again. Teacher thanked him for returning, apologizing, explaining and promising and said she was proud of him for admitting that he had done something wrong. He ended up feeling pretty good about the whole thing.

You know, I know it's my job as a parent to figure this stuff out, get the truth, make sure he understands what he did is wrong, and help him set it right but it is absolutely positively soul crushing to be the person who doesn't believe him. It just kills a little piece of me to not believe him when he says he won a prize for doing good on something. I want to be the person who always believes him.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 08:49 am
I guess the way I went about it is going to work out just fine.

At the school open house last night Mo's teacher asked me if I had received an email yet regarding a "team meeting" to determine a course of action. I haven't so she told me to expect it soon.

Patience can really pay off!
sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 09:05 am
@boomerang,
Bravo boomer!

I think you've shown a good combination of proactiveness and patience.

This teacher really does sound promising.
Stormwatch

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:01 am
@sozobe,
I'm glad to hear the year seems to be off on a good note. It sounds like this year's teacher is more willing to work with you to make a positive year for Mo, rather than school being punitive like last year's teacher made it feel for him.

Having a team meeting will be great. It's a good way to get information to everyone and meet on common ground.

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 02:53 pm
@boomerang,
Bring a note pad and a pen/pencil. You'll get any reports produced by the meetings, but not necessarily a minutes of the meeting.

It's incredibly unbelievable that the team meeting is happening this early in the year. Kudos to the teacher. And good on you, Boomer, for working it the way you do.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 02:55 pm
@boomerang,
Uh, wait...... what kind of team meeting? A course of action..... sounds like a TRT a meeting of teachers only to hash out ideas and a plan (not an IEP meeting)? Even if it is a TRT type meeting, it's still happening early on - good news.
boomerang

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 04:38 pm
@littlek,
The way it was presented I'm certain that I'll be part of the meeting.

I have no idea whether things are happening quicker than usual or not but Mo's story is pretty compelling. The psych and I agreed that only the most relevent details of his life would be recorded in the paper that went to the school but... that's really enough to make most people's eyes go pop. Plus, I went to the top of the diagnostic food chain and that probably get's people's attention.
littlek

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 06:21 pm
@boomerang,
Definitely keep me posted!
boomerang

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 12:03 pm
@littlek,
I got a call today from the school psych to set up the meeting for the first week in October so things are still moving along!
littlek

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 04:43 pm
@boomerang,
Good for them! Good for you! Good for Mo! I hope it all works out beneficially to everyone.
boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 03:14 pm
@littlek,
Hey little k, I think I figured out why we got fast-tracked.

Apparently funds get dispersed on December 1 based on the school's sp.ed. students. We already had a majority of the testing done so there are only a few tests that need to be administered at school.

I'm glad I got the process started before school began.

The meeting went pretty good today despite some disappointing feedback from his teacher; I thought things were going better than they really are. Our next meeting is right before Thanksgiving. All the testing should be completed by then so things are moving very quickly now.
littlek

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 03:20 pm
@boomerang,
I think they have a limited amount of time between meetings - a certain number of days to reconvene.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 08:53 pm
I LOVE Mo's teacher. I LOVE her. Did I tell you? I LOVE her.

I had my teacher meeting today with the teacher, school psychologist and special ed teacher and it was so great. Finally we have shrugged off all the bullshit from last year.

Okay, it wasn't perfect but it was good. There is a big discrepency between Mo's IQ and his reading ability so he was classified as learning disabled but we are putting together a program to help him and everyone feels very confident that he will get past this with ease.

I feel so hopeful. His report card was really good. The comments about how he's doing were fun and optimistic instead of the doom and gloom and awfulness of last year.

Jesusgod what a difference a teacher makes!