If you were going to China??

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 10:10 pm
*If I ever DO get the opportunity to take this trip, which my best friend and I have both talked about for years - it is SO far away, that if you make a trip so huge a distance from home as this - you'll never make another one - so I want to be sure that I see everything I want to see when I'm there the one & only time.
*A cursory stop here & there and the idea of being hurried around on some tour bus gives me the creeps. I always plan my own trips, for example when I went to Hawaii for nearly a month when my first grandson was born on Maui.
*This is another case of somewhere so far away, I doubt I'll return again, so I saw just about everything I hoped to see.
*Every restaurant on my list, gardens, parks, craters, even the little local diner type place that served the "real thing" Hawaiian food every day, but at reasonable prices and without some ridiculous banquet, dancing hula girls, etc. I could've stayed for another month to see every single island, but alas, I don't have a money tree in my back yard. Although it certainly makes me wish I did, just enough for a few trips of a lifetime, you know?
*So MY QUESTION IS - for anyone who has been to China, or is planning to go to China - what are the essentials in your opinion, the cities, towns, landmarks, buildings, regions, everything that should be seen in a once in a lifetime visit to such a huge country as China.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,723 • Replies: 9
No top replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 09:02 pm
@babsatamelia,
Hi.

I'm planning to go down next year but I'm going with a structure "tour" - basically its a 3 week course at a uni followed by a 1 week tour of Beijing, Xian and Shanghai. We don't have much of a choice. I recommend going with a tour - they take you to the essentials.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 12:49 pm
@pragmatic,
pragmatic, If by chance you have some "free" time in any of the cities on your itinerary, I'd be more than happy to recommend places "not to miss." One advantage of traveling in the major cities of China is the "cheap" cost of taxis. I've done some museums and other sites on my own by taxi. Just make sure you bring your hotel's business card with you to show the taxi driver for your return trip.
pragmatic

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 04:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hi cicerone imposter - thank you for that handy tip! I am planning something for May/June and would welcome some suggestions I could do in any free time allowed. But the hotel business card IS a must - I never thought of that!
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 05:26 pm
@pragmatic,
If you enjoy museums, don't miss the Capital museum and the National Art Gallery in Beijing. In Xian, don't miss walking the Muslim section, and walk beyond the "other" side where there's a bell tower. It's the modern section. Also, ask about the water fountain show in Xian; go early, because thousands of people will be there. You'll probably go to the Wild Goose Pagoda while there as part of your tour, but try to go to the Xian Garden Hotel cultural show if they don't offer it on your tour. In Shanghia, don't miss the Yu Yuan Garden, visit their history museum, and go to the top of the tv tower.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 05:58 pm
@babsatamelia,
Well, babs, your question is a bit more challenging, but here's the list from the top of my "head."

1. Beijing; the forbidden city, temple of heaven, tianamen square, great wall (2 places), summer palace, ming tombs, subway system, olympic city, hutong (including bell tower), park behind the forbidden city, and my other recommendations above.
2. Xian; terracotta soldiers, bampo museum, and my other recommendations above.
3. Yangtse river cruise by Victoria cruises.
4. Chengdu; panda preserve and old town.
5. Shanghai; bund (walk) and my other recommendations above.
6. Hong Kong; art museum, victoria peak, stanley market, peninsula hotel (high tea), and the many wonderful restaurants. Star ferry is free for seniors, and discount prices for metro-trains.

Look for massage parlors in the major cities; they usually cost a few dollars for one hour. We spoiled ourselves almost every day. Taxis are really cheap; about $1.35 for most destinations.

chai2

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 06:04 pm
wow ci, I never thought of keeping hotel cards on your person.

That's a good tip for anywhere you visit.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 10:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
When were metro trains introduced?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 03:04 pm
@talk72000,
I'm not sure, but the line I took from the Hutong to line 1 for Tianamen Square was very new; only about a month old. That's what a woman from TN told me at the station where I purchased my ticket.
talk72000

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 10:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks. Mr. Green
0 Replies