What is the Dog Whisperer doing at the 30 sec mark?

wandeljw

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 04:02 pm
Don't worry, TTH. Setanta and I have used rough language with each other before. I just hope he calms down. (I was only joking.)
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 04:04 pm
Well, he has insulted me enough times it wouldn't faze me a bit anymore.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 04:24 pm
How can I get tired of Wally?!

He's my life.

Don't anybody worry, Set's just constipated, and after he's had a good dump, he'll be back to normal.

oh wait....maybe we should worry.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 04:54 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Don't worry, TTH. Setanta and I have used rough language with each other before. I just hope he calms down. (I was only joking.)

Chai is the one who needs to calm down, i've been calm throughout. Chai is the one who had the hysterical reaction to an ordinary remark.

Please explain why you came in here to tell me to lighten up, but feel comfortable that Chai's hysteria is reasonable. Do you consider her puerile remark about me being constipated reasonable? You don't think she needs to lighten up? You're operating a double standard here, and i suggest to you that it's based on a sexist stereotype.

TTH never gets more than she deserves, and usually gets a way with far less than she deserves. She's goofy, and it can't be told her too often.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 04:57 pm
wandeljw wrote:
You still don't get my joke, Setanta. I am "Wally Tea" (using a different e-mail address). I am sorry my joke caused so much confusion.

("Wally Tea" is a running gag I use when Gus is hitting on Chai. I guess it is getting a little tired.)

No, i was unaware of this. It doesn't change the fact that Chai has grossly overreacted to my remark, and that if anyone here needs to lighten up, it is Chai.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 05:16 pm
Sorry about that, Setanta. My jokes are juvenile.

(actually, setanta's reaction is becoming hilarious)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 05:29 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Yup. It works.

It's based on how the mother dog handles her pups.

Works.

Damn good stuff.

Cesar Millan. Dog Whisperer. Pack leader.

You can definitely illicit a yelp with a touch that's quite minor if the dog is focused on something else, and you're breaking that focus.

Yup. It's something like when a child may get a slight tap on the bottom and yelps as though you smacked him. Dogs are no different and submit to the alpha.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:35 pm
Whatever Setanta
Anyway, I have asked 3 professional trainers to take a look at the video in question and give me their expert opinion. I will post what they tell me their thoughts are.

Edit: Which means they have agreed to look at the video and give me their expert opinion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:50 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Sorry about that, Setanta. My jokes are juvenile.

(actually, setanta's reaction is becoming hilarious)

I am gratified to think that i provided you some entertainment.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:52 pm
Like a dog and pony show..... without the pony. Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 07:33 pm
TTH wrote:
Anyway, I have asked 3 professional trainers to take a look at the video in question and give me their expert opinion. I will post what they tell me their thoughts are

and we care about that ... why?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 07:34 pm
I want to know and maybe others might also.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 05:21 am
precisely ehbeth.

As I recall, the person who started this thread....oh, wait a minute, that would be me.....was asking what others saw in this video.

so yeah, I guess I would care about what 3 professional dog trainers have to say about it.

it's sorta what this thread was supposed to be about?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 05:31 am
Well Chai I know I am interested in what they have to say since they are paid professionals. When I mentioned dog whisperer to each one of them they knew exactly who I was talking about and his method of training. In fact all 3 said positive things about him. That is why they were interested and a little surprised when I questioned them about that video you posted.

I didn't even know who he was until you posted the video and asked the question you did.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 05:57 am
TTH

we are not only on the same side, but I agree with what you are saying.

I, as I previously said, have never watched his show, and only have heard the term "dog whisperer"

It doesn't surprise me one way or the other if other dog trainers have positive OR negative things to say about him. I have no opinion on the man either way, expect for what I saw in the first video seems strange and off to me.

I looked at maybe half a dozen other videos with him, and still couldn't make sense of what he was doing. That is, until I watched the other video (did I post it?) where he actually demonstrated slowly on a persons leg what he was doing.

If that was what he was doing to the dogs, then I understand what he was doing.

I'm neutral in my feelings about dogs as well. Well, I'm positive regarding them in that they are living creatures, and they make a big difference in many peoples lives.

There's been this impression given I'm not supposed to question either the great dog whisperer, or people who feel they have a lot of experience with dogs.

I don't see anything wrong with questioning.

I also, ehbeth, don't need to be spoken for as in "and WE care about this because...?"

Perhaps you meant you in particular didn't care and so it follows that others don't either. I don't know, only you know what you meant.

Well....I care about it because.....I'm curious, and if I'm curious, I wanna know. I was the one who asked you know.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 02:31 pm
Any idea when we will see the expert opinions?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 04:37 am
You'll know as soon as I do. Hoping it will be within the week. They said not to post their names, which is understandable. I can post the area where they live though.
1. Canada
2. Colorado
3. Texas
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 05:18 am
Some people shouldnt own dogs. CAeser did nothing "abusive" He claimed the dogs space by a couple of taps and that set it strait. Border Collies are really good at gentle dominance. Everyone thinks its cute and the dog is ruined as a working dog when its allowed to rule.
My two herders watch me every step. If they go out a bit, they will immediately turn and intently watch me for any orders. I command them to do what they love, which is to round up sheep and bring em in.
Caeser is a really good trainer and hes worked with all kinds of head case dogs. Some were so screwed up that they would bite everyone and CAeser just brought em back.

However, his results seem to be tailored to such rapid successes, I wonder just how much disc space is edited out of the shows.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:03 am
I know what you're saying farmer, and I think that's part of the problem I'm having...

There was this other video clip I watched, a 2 - parter.

In it, the couple adopted 2 dogs from the same shelter place. The problem dog was a bull terrier, one of those spuds mackenzie dogs. The guy owner had owns lots and lots of dogs in his life.

The terrier immediately changed personalities when brought home. Just wouldn't walk on a lease, balked at every step, wouldn't climb stairs, and wanted to just lay around despondent all day.

This went on for TWO years and they called in the DW. The DW harnesses and leashes the dog. drops the lease on the ground, walks to the front door and opens it.

The dog quietly walks over to the door and out. They climb the stairs, go off on the walk with the people and the other dog, and the DW's dog,and the terrier is miraculouslu "cured" Turns out he didn't like getting pulled on the lease and wanted to be in front, which they let him do.

Confused

so, it took these people 2 years to figure out the dog didn't like wearing the leash? They never let him walk out the front door without one? They never considered letting the dog walk up the stairs itself?

Here's PART 2 OF 2 to see the jist of it.

I wish people could be fixed of various problems so easily.

Maybe it all boils down to in the wonderful world of television, we just want to see this instant success, so that's what we get.

The media is the message.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:34 am
The 'trick' is having the insight to analyse the problem and the wisdom to provide the "cure".

Those of us who have successfully trained "bad" dogs into stable, loving, obedient and happy companions do not see anything miraculous about such events.

There is no such thing as a bad dog.... only bad owners.
0 Replies