Why do I love black olives?

Mame

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:29 pm
I dunno, just thought I'd ask. I do, though. I could eat a whole can of 'em. Of course, I prefer the pitted ones. Large, and they must be FIRM. Don't like those squishy, almost-going-off ones. Anyone know the best brand?

Back to the question:

Maybe it's their kinda smoky or musky flavour...

Maybe it's because I was never allowed any as a kid (they were "special" and for "grown ups" only)...

Maybe because I feel decadent and sexy in my 38C cup as I eat them with my fingers right out of the can...

Maybe it's because I'm short like an olive...

Maybe it's because I have an olive complexion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,190 • Replies: 20
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:39 pm
Salt and fat - basic necessities for the human body.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:43 pm
Oh, way to go, littlek - I was getting kind of erotic there and you had to go and ruin it!
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:46 pm
Do you put them on all your fingertips before eating them? They are a fun little food.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:47 pm
Oh, I guess our fingers are way bigger than they were when I was a kid. Oh well, it was a thought.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:47 pm
Is this a stealth Obama thread?

Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:48 pm
Mame wrote:
Oh, way to go, littlek - I was getting kind of erotic there and you had to go and ruin it!

Confused OOPS!......sorry.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:49 pm
You mean we're not supposed to eat the whole can of them once it is opened?

I'm addicted to them. As a kid growing up, I was forever walking around family gatherings and neighborhood parties with olives on every finger tip while everyone wondered where all the olives disappeared to. I remember even getting a can or two of them in Christmas stockings too. The brines used in some brands are much better than others. Some are way too salty and have an odd metalic taste to them. And, you're right about the mushy stuff. They have to have a certain rubbery firmness that makes them almost squeak against your teeth as they are bitten into.

Chopped fresh olive sandwiches are to to die for and spaghetti just isn't spaghetti without some good tasting black olives tossed in.

Can't stand the green olives though. Much too bitter tasting.

I use garlic olives in the rosemary focaccia I make now and then and usually pick out all the olives from the loaf.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:53 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Is this a stealth Obama thread?

Laughing

You're not as dense as everyone says, DD! Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:54 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
You mean we're not supposed to eat the whole can of them once it is opened?

I'm addicted to them. As a kid growing up, I was forever walking around family gatherings and neighborhood parties with olives on every finger tip while everyone wondered where all the olives disappeared to. I remember even getting a can or two of them in Christmas stockings too. The brines used in some brands are much better than others. Some are way too salty and have an odd metalic taste to them. And, you're right about the mushy stuff. They have to have a certain rubbery firmness that makes them almost squeak against your teeth as they are bitten into.

Chopped fresh olive sandwiches are to to die for and spaghetti just isn't spaghetti without some good tasting black olives tossed in.

Can't stand the green olives though. Much too bitter tasting.

I use garlic olives in the rosemary focaccia I make now and then and usually pick out all the olives from the loaf.

All good to know, Buttrflynet, in case I ever get to invite you over. Ha - I'll be guarding my olive hoard.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:55 pm
In Northern California, on the road to Redding is the olive mecca of the world.

They have free samples of more variety than Avon...

I forget the name, but they sold "olive burgers"

Rock
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:06 pm
This place?

http://www.olivepit.com/recipes/spicy_olive_burgers.aspx
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:08 pm
Butterflynet wins the giant black olive.

Lindsay is best on the prairie...

Rock
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:15 pm
Lindsay and other can brands, too squishy compared to whatever they have by the bin at Keller's. Same general taste but with more tooth...

Cheaper than Lindsay too. Next time I'll ask them what their source is, if they'll tell me. (I get the big plastic container, and not much juice..)

I could almost wash my face in them. Disgusting, I know, but some of you may get it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:40 pm
Green-ripe olives
One of my favorite eating from the can olives are green-ripe olives. They are like a cross between the black olives and the green olives. They are hard to find in Albuquerque stores but can be ordered on line.

http://www.olivepit.com/acb/Lindsay-Green-Ripe-Olives-P308C0.aspx

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:46 pm
I'll be out of here soon, maybe, what with my camfloogle going on with the mac, but in the meantime, I'll say I used to like olive sandwiches, probably Weber's (wonder?) bread with mayo and canned black olive slices. Now I just eat olives straight.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 05:30 pm
Cream cheese, black olives, and tiny green sprouts on a bagel. The Best!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 11:26 pm
lovelovelove black olives.
0 Replies

Passionx

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 09:40 pm
It is very good for health Wink
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 08:59 am
BBB
I ordered on line a case of my favorite green-ripe olives. It arrived yesterday and I ate an entire can of them.

BURP!

BBB
0 Replies