ISRAEL PALESTINE AND THE USA

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 05:40 pm
Is there anyone who would just give me a brief explanation of the situation of the israel/palestine disagreement?

Is it true that the Amerian media is on the side of the 'offender' rather than the victim?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 770 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 06:04 pm
Quote:
Is there anyone who would just give me a brief explanation of the situation of the israel/palestine disagreement?

1948 - The British Mandate of Palestine ends with the United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine calling for the partition of the territory into a Jewish state and a Palestinian state with Jerusalem under UN administration. Britain withdraws hastily instead of handing over administrative duties to the UN slowly and the Arab League rejects the partition of Palestine and declares war.

1949 - Israel gains about 50% more territory during the 1948 Arab-Israeli war and the 1949 Armistice Agreements end hostilities with Israel at the "Green Line".

NOTE: This line is the basis for all future territorial negotiations.

1967 - In the Six-Day War Israel strikes first and captures the West Bank, Gaza Strip, Golan Heights and the Sinai Peninsula.

1973 - In the 1973 Arab-Israeli War the US and the Soviet Union's sides took shape and the war was ended largely as a result of negotiations between the world's super powers.

Israel made peace with Egypt in 1979 and returned the Sinai Peninsula but continued to occupy the Gaza Strip, West Bank and the Golan Heights.

Since then, there has been a struggle between pragmatists and extremists on both the Palestinian side and the Israeli side.

On the Palestinian side, there are terrorist organizations that reject the initial partition of Palestine and do not want a two state solution and attack Israeli civilians.

On the Israeli side are fundamentalist Jews who dream of "greater Israel" and reject a two state solution. They reject any accord with Palestinians and systemically settle their land in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. They do not want a peace accord because as long as there is no final resolution on the territorial disputes they can continue to settle Palestinian land.

The US is on Israel's side but it's to Israel's own interest to forward a two state solution so the US also represents the best hope for Palestinians to get their state as the US is the only country with any significant influence on Israel.

In recent years, the progress has been slow with every terrorist attack being used as justification to put off the real sacrifices each side needs to make. Israel has not halted settlement activity and the Palestinians have not subdued their armed groups.

But each side seems to have people who now realize there's no other possible end but a two state solution, and it's coming about slowly.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 07:24 pm
Re: ISRAEL PALESTINE AND THE USA
The Pentacle Queen wrote:

Is it true that the Amerian media is on the side of the 'offender' rather than the victim?

And who might the "offender" be? And the "victim"? And, why focus on "the American media"? Why not ask about the European media?

Actually, in my opinion, the offender is the U.K, they having off-loaded all those Jewish post WWII displaced persons on the British controlled Palestine. And those Jews were the victims, having found themselves in a Middle Eastern desert, rather than Europe.

I'd guess these are not your perceptions.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:42 pm
You're leaving out the part about Mark Twain visiting the holy land in the late 1800s and describing the entire territory as a ghost town and nobody even wanting to live there until after the Zioinists made something out of it around the turn of the 20'th century.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:05 am
Re: ISRAEL PALESTINE AND THE USA
Foofie wrote:

And who might the "offender" be? And the "victim"? And, why focus on "the American media"? Why not ask about the European media?

Actually, in my opinion, the offender is the U.K, they having off-loaded all those Jewish post WWII displaced persons on the British controlled Palestine. And those Jews were the victims, having found themselves in a Middle Eastern desert, rather than Europe.

I'd guess these are not your perceptions.

My perceptions are limited, and I do not know the entire issue, which is why I asked the question in the first place. I'm not interested in laying blame or starting a UK vs US post.
I heard a garbled argument about the media coverage on the issue and I wanted to find out the truth.
Rob, your post was very useful.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 03:01 pm
I was born in India and I live in Germany.
But for for HITLER that land is palestine and not Israel
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 04:17 pm
Try this:

http://www.israpundit.com/2008/?p=1686
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:51 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
I was born in India and I live in Germany.
But for for HITLER that land is palestine and not Israel

I do not think you should simplify it to just Hitler. The Nazi party really was needed. And, if that is the reality, then your point is just a sophism, in my opinion.

In my opinion, an analogous thought would be to say, but for Pakistan, all of India would be Hindu.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:55 pm
As a rational globalist i am happy with my German christian wife . But unfortunately I am an athiest without any violence and a communistof Karl Marx( a rare jew) to boot with
Sorry.
Regards without repentense
Rama
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:14 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
As a rational globalist i am happy with my German christian wife . But unfortunately I am an athiest without any violence and a communistof Karl Marx( a rare jew) to boot with
Sorry.
Regards without repentense
Rama

"Repentese" is spelled repentence. And I for one do not care about your personal biography.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:19 pm
Nor I your intellectual faculties.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 06:06 am
Then again, the one really simple way to get a handle on who's who and what's what in the middle east is to simply do google searches on 'muslim world' and look at some of the images which come up. The most common thing you see is this map showing a gigantic swath of territory from the wall of China to the west coast of Africa and thirty or more degrees of latitude up and down which is the Muslim world, and then again the tiny sliver of land called Israel which you have to know exactly where to look for to even find, and then realize that you've been hearing a relentless crybaby act over the tiny sliver for the last 60 years, and realize that this is what the fuss is over:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/86/Muslim_World.JPG/800px-Muslim_World.JPG

Then again, one or two other islammic images which occasionally turn up...

http://images29.fotki.com/v1005/photos/2/292835/2686029/alQaedaMeinKampf-vi.jpg
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 06:20 am
The natural inclination of Western nations is to tolerate all religions and treat them all equally at least as far as laws go, and thus end up with a happily diverse population following diverse religious practices.

Islam does not work that way. Sooner or later, every nation on Earth will have exactly two cohices as far as dealing with islam: Submit to ir, or Ban it. That's basically it.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2054258/posts
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 04:23 pm
How to bring back USA and Israel to the decent world shoud be the correct American English or British one.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 10:21 am
Foofie, give rama some credit. english is evidently his second language, and it's really nothing to do with any of the points on here.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 02:05 pm
A German who can't handle English at least well enough to watch Bennie Hill and Dr. Who is pretty rare...
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 06:49 pm
Foofie, give rama some credit. english is evidently his second language, and it's really nothing to do with any of the points on here.

You are making assumptions, I believe. And, why do you mind my business? You were asking originally a specific question; there is no need to get personal.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 06:54 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
How to bring back USA and Israel to the decent world shoud be the correct American English or British one.

You do know that there are many Indians from India in the U.S. that adore this country. I think of them as the winners of the Indian immigration contest.
0 Replies