A positive thread about the presidential candidates.

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:58 am
I want to try a positive conversation on the presidential candidates.

The ground rules--

1) You can say only positive things about the presidential candidate you support. For example "He will be a strong commander in Chief", or "He will support working Americans" are good examples.

2) You can either say positive things about the candidate you don't support, or nothing at all (you can be biased on this thread and don't have to say anything nice about anyone if you don't want).

3) You can only speak in the positive voice (this rule will avoid back-door negative implications against the other candidate). You can only say what a candidate is, or will do; not what is isn't or will not do.

For example "He will protect the country against terrorists" is a positive statement (because it says nothing about the other candidate. Saying "He won't give our country over to extremists" is not allowed here, because it makes the (rather negative) implication about the other candidate.

4) You can not make comparisons with other candidates or policians (since that would be negative). Saying that a candidate will grow the economy and lower the deficit is allowed. Saying that a candidate will end the disastrous policy on whatever is not allowed (since it is a negative comparison).

So let's try this. Can we have a positive discussion about the candidates?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,222 • Replies: 17
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:29 am
I am impressed with Obama's intelligence. His ability to speak about issues intelligently and persuasively is impressive as is his background in Constitutional Law; a subject that will help him if he becomes president.

Obama's intelligence will help him make sound decisions. It will also help him explain his positions and get his policies through Congress.

The positions he has taken, and the way he can rationally articulate the reasons behind them, make me confident in his ability to be a great president.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:34 am
John McCain and his beautiful socialite wife are incredibly in tune with the needs of the American aristocracy...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:38 am
Rockhead wrote:
John McCain and his beautiful socialite wife are incredibly in tune with the needs of the American aristocracy...

Sarcasm is out of place in this thread... how about saying something sincere about the candidates.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:44 am
Mr. Obama has a really nice smile...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:47 pm
Nobody has anything positive to say about their candidate? (or does politics just bring out the worst in us?) I thought this would be an interesting discussion. So, I will continue, in hopes that positive politics will catch on.

Leadership is a strength of both McCain and Obama.

McCain championed a humane immigration bill and has taken moderate positions, against many on his side, on many issues. Obama was one of the first to oppose the war, and has also taken courageous positions on many issues.

McCains military experience would undoubtably be a plus, as would Obama's intelligent positions on foreign policy.

Although each has different was of approaching leadership, I feel confident in the leadership skills of either man.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:54 pm
I'm a little at a loss. I have positive things to say, but not sure if there are any new ones or if it'd really serve a purpose to say them again here...? Especially, I'm not sure I get the apparent outlawing of rebuttals -- it'll be unfun to read if people keep saying positive things about McCain that I think are untrue but I can't rebut, and I'd imagine the same would go for people who dislike Obama.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:54 pm
Rockhead wrote:

HAHAHA rock your great man for real.

I like obamas ability to hold himself confidently, to write his "own" words.
to not give in to the old way of random bashing of candidates.

(so far as ive seen)

and his intelligence
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:22 pm
sozobe wrote:
I'm a little at a loss. I have positive things to say, but not sure if there are any new ones or if it'd really serve a purpose to say them again here...? Especially, I'm not sure I get the apparent outlawing of rebuttals -- it'll be unfun to read if people keep saying positive things about McCain that I think are untrue but I can't rebut, and I'd imagine the same would go for people who dislike Obama.

The fun is hearing what people have to say without the need to rebut. What McCain supporters love abut McCain is interesting in its own right. The reasons we support our candidates say as much about who we are then about who they are.

We have enough rebuttals around here... and they certainly haven't guaranteed a fun discussion.

I want to try something new, maybe this experiment will lead to something interesting.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:27 pm
Obama is a masterful politician... which is a great skill to have in a president. Not only is it important for the election campaign, it will help him lead; building coalitions, and getting the necessary support to get his policies through Congress.

His political skill stems his ability to create narratives that express powerful ideas. The most successful presidents; Lincoln, Kennedy, Reagan and F. D. Roosevelt were able to do this.

The political savvy that he has shown in the primary campaign and that he is showing so far in the general election will be very helpful in his presidency.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:28 pm
I think this is an interesting experiment indeed. Kudos for giving it a try.

I think Obama has shown a gracious spirit under fire. He doesn't seem like the type to personally retaliate. I hope I am right about that.

I like John McCain's willingness work across the aisle with both sides . I think it will serve him well as President, if he gets the chance.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 02:45 am
McCain is literally the type of person who would engage in high risk, skill/ability intensive acts of mass violence, and take all of the worst possible consequences of said acts that he could get or his captors cared to dish out for the sake of our nations interests.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 04:35 pm
I believe that Obama will be sincere in his efforts to diminish corruption in government. I also think he will be open to listening to opposing points of view with understanding and empathy.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 04:40 pm
I think Kucinich is the model of good health, probably due to hs diet (I'm a meat eater myself).
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 02:21 pm
Sorry I have only critical views.

"Whether Obama's highly-hyped regime of change comes to the White House or we end up with a third Bush term under the doddering figurehead of McCain, this is the future being offered by America's leaders: endless war, endless suffering, a darker, more dangerous world"

Chris Floyd( an American)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 02:34 pm
That would appear to me to be someone else's views.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 03:29 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
Sorry I have only critical views.

I am sure they would be welcomed in another thread.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 12:14 am
McCain has a really good sense of humor.

(this thread feels like therapy -- that's positive!)
0 Replies