I could use some help if anyone here has some...Mexico

Mame

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 08:24 am
I've only been to the Yucatan, never to the west coast, and I want to rent a cabana or condo for 4 - 6 weeks from say around Nov 20 - Jan 10th-ish.

I don't do resorts or 4 **** places - I like rustic but clean. Nothing fancy. (Well, look at what I do for a living!)

It's a bit early now in the travel industry for me to find out what's available at that time, so I was wondering if anyone here had rented a long-ish term cabin/condo/what-have-you in or near PV...

I will get a Fodor's or Frommer's or Lonely Planet, but any advice about where to stay would be appreciated.

I like to explore and wander and see what's going on. I'm not into eating at fancy restaurants or going to discos... I'm more of a people-watcher and browser. And I don't want to be in a big city, with buses and traffic and noise and pollution. More of a Cozumel-type place, slow and relaxing.

Has anyone been anywhere like this in that area?

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,340 • Replies: 17
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:52 am
A bunch of friends used to like Mazatlan, partly for itself and because of families there. I've only been there for 15 minutes at the airport, so no help. Don't know what's around that locale that could be more what you're looking for.

I liked La Paz on the sea of Cortez, Baja side, but that was fairly long ago when it was pretty sleepy.

Dys has a whole area he likes, more like what you are describing, not sure if he can get online right now.

Finally, I know you don't want to go to Puerto Vallarta - I haven't been there since the sixties/early 70's, and it's gone boom boom. But, I've read an article about various smaller towns north of there that sounded more up your alley.

Piffka used to like Guaymas, and may have posted on it on a2k. I think I've read digs against it, but don't remember what.

You might PM Fbaezer if he doesn't see this.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 10:13 am
Started looking to find that article - no luck so far - but found this one:

http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-tr-kino8jan08?parent=mexico&type=destinations
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 12:13 pm
Osso, thank you, and you're spot on - I don't think I would like PV, but one of my ex-BIL lives in Bucerias, near Rincon... I just can't get a hold of him to ask his advice. I hear they're more in line with what I'd like.

I am just starting my research and haven't been anywhere where I can find a book on Mexico... hopefully that'll answer a lot of my questions.

Thanks again, Osso.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 12:28 pm
Aha - this is probably the article I remember -

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/04/TRG8SNSGVB1.DTL&type=travel
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 12:35 pm
I would suggest almost anywhere on the east coast of Baja California.
One of my favorit places is the pueblo of El Huerfanito.
Its a very small fishing village, but the people there are fantastic.
I havent been there in about 15 years, but I cant imagine it has changed much.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 08:41 pm
Thanks, MM, I'll look into that.

Osso, thanks! Even though that was 4 yrs ago, I'll look into that, too. Sounds like what I'm looking for. Bungalows and villas - yes!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:31 pm
(This may double post, as the last one looks to be stuck.)

Anyway, no, Mame, that was this last February, good, eh?

And now I want to look up the area Mysteryman mentioned.

Hey, you could always lounge around and read Steinbeck on the Sea of Cortez..
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 10:37 pm
osso - find a way and come stay at my place down there Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 10:52 pm
Now there's a thought..
out of my league right now, but I'll put it in my if-only file.
Which is to say, it I gather any travel money, first comes Los Angeles, and then I'm overdue for a Rome fix. Which brings up Sicily..

You can tell I'm travel avid; much of mine has been in my mind. I enjoy other people's trips almost as much as my own. This can be viewed as sicko or smart..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 11:02 pm
Hah. I had only glanced quickly at that link. That WASN'T the article and probably not even the town... the article I'm remembering was on a series of villages, I think.. no opulence going on that I remember.

Echeverria, hah, again..
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 11:14 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Now there's a thought..
out of my league right now, but I'll put it in my if-only file.
Which is to say, it I gather any travel money, first comes Los Angeles, and then I'm overdue for a Rome fix. Which brings up Sicily..

You can tell I'm travel avid; much of mine has been in my mind. I enjoy other people's trips almost as much as my own. This can be viewed as sicko or smart..

A little vicarious living never hurt anyone.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 11:18 pm
Right!

I made myself read it again.. and this time I picked up the mileage.. the town the article was about was closer to Vallarta than the ones in what seems now to be a fantasy article.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 06:56 am
<Pats pockets> I just had some Mexico yesterday....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 06:38 pm
I know nothing about San Blas, but started exploring the Nayarit map for places to google..

http://www.visitsanblas.com/

looks interesting..
and there's an airstrip.

Check out the bungalows.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:46 pm
OSSO!! That looks so perfect! Are you SURE you don't want to go? A 2 bedroom bungalow would be just the thing... and it's so cheap. If I can hack the mosquitoes, I'm sure I can handle the jejenes!

I'm going to pm you.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:01 pm
Hey that looks almost like the place you're at now, right?

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/4195/picture2zf5.png
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:19 pm
Ha! Not quite! It's awfully DRY here, but it IS rustic. Well, kinda. Best or second-best camp I've been in. My main problem is my 8 gal. hot water tank... that means 5 min showers or less. H20 man - where are you when I need you?

You're such a smarty-pants, CJ. Very Happy
0 Replies