When Racism Kills

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 07:53 pm
When is brutally taking the life of a human being acceptable?

This story is about how when you label someone "illegal", they cease to be human. Whether they are a loving father, a hard worker, or a decent person no longer matters even to the local authorities, but I digress....

Two weeks ago, Luis Ramirez was walking home when, according to witnesses, he was approached by local kids who started calling racist slurs. He was then beaten to death by six people. He was quickly knocked out, but that wasn't enough. They continued to beat and kick him as he was lying on his back. He died hours later with head injuries.

They left the image of Jesus on his chest; an impression from a medallion he was wearing.

Luis leaves behind two kids, an American fiancée and her son who loved him as a father.

Racists punks brutally beating a brown-skinned victim is one thing...

Racist police is another. The fact is clear, six people beat one person to death in what eyewitnesses say was an unprovoked attack accompanied by racist slurs.

The idiot police chief, not wanting to discourage the racism that many say is rampant in this town and unwilling to call this a brutal murder, labeled this a "street fight gone wrong".

Yeah right. In spite of eyewitnesses and clear perpetrators, it took them several days to even make an arrest.

Racism that inspires and justifies violence is intolerable. Given the demonization of "illegals" and Hispanics in general it is sadly not surprising.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25739051/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,519 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 07:57 pm
It is a sad commentary on the human condition that things like this happen. And, even worse that they are tolerated.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 08:00 pm
Erg
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 08:14 pm
Webpage Title

Quote:
updated 6:15 p.m. PT, Fri., July. 25, 2008

PORT CARBON, Pa. - Three white teens were charged Friday in what officials said was an epithet-filled fatal beating of an illegal Mexican immigrant in a small northeast Pennsylvania coal town. Brandon J. Piekarsky, 16, and Colin J. Walsh, 17, were charged as adults with homicide and ethnic intimidation in the July 12 attack on Luis Ramirez.

A third teen, Derrick M. Donchak, 18, was charged with aggravated assault, ethnic intimidation and other offenses. All are from Shenandoah, where the attack occurred.

Additional charges are expected in the case that has roiled Shenandoah, a small, economically depressed town where police have reported friction between whites and a growing Hispanic population...

five hours later the 3 perps were in jail.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 09:16 pm
Your math is way off. How do you get the 5 hours figure?

The attack happened July 12. It took them 11 days to file criminal charges.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 11:11 pm
I'm trying to figure out how someone can come to the conclusion that this murder was deemed "acceptable," or "tolerated" by a broad cross section of the citizens of Shenandoah or the town authorities.

I'm also trying to figure out the basis for a conclusion that this terrible crime is any more (or less) heinous than any other brutal murder that doesn't involve ethnic slurs or racial motivation.

It appears e_brown that you may wish to draw a direct link between this crime and the use of the term "illegal" in describing foreign nationals who enter the US in violation of its laws. If so, it is an extremely weak link.

Assuming that the evidence exists to charge and convict the attackers (it certainly appears that it does but I would hate to be convicted on the basis of an article from any news organization) they should be and they should also be severely punished, but it is a bit specious to suggest that the crime was a result of immigration laws and use of the term "illegal."
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 02:42 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Your math is way off. How do you get the 5 hours figure?

The attack happened July 12. It took them 11 days to file criminal charges.

you're right. my bad, i misread the date.

in any case, they have been arrested. that was the point. the bad guys get caught.

but before you complain too loudly..consider whether or not you would want the cops to have best info before arresting your child.

that's not to say that i see the beating of one guy, of any color, by three guys (of any color) as anything other than the act of three pussies.

if they did this, fry 'em.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 02:46 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how someone can come to the conclusion that this murder was deemed "acceptable," or "tolerated" by a broad cross section of the citizens of Shenandoah or the town authorities.

I'm also trying to figure out the basis for a conclusion that this terrible crime is any more (or less) heinous than any other brutal murder that doesn't involve ethnic slurs or racial motivation.

It appears e_brown that you may wish to draw a direct link between this crime and the use of the term "illegal" in describing foreign nationals who enter the US in violation of its laws. If so, it is an extremely weak link.

Assuming that the evidence exists to charge and convict the attackers (it certainly appears that it does but I would hate to be convicted on the basis of an article from any news organization) they should be and they should also be severely punished, but it is a bit specious to suggest that the crime was a result of immigration laws and use of the term "illegal."

yup. nobody deserves to be murdered simply because of how they look, who they sleep with or what they pray to.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 06:58 am
Finn, Don't whitewash the bigotry in the anti-immigrant movement. It is far deeper and more sinister than the "illegal" slur (although this is the start of taking away their humanity).

These workers (the vast majority of whom are peaceful and decent) are painted as "invaders". The anti-immigrant people invent and spread lies to make them into monsters; inventing fake statistics, spreading horrific rumors.

And... it doesn't even stop just as "illegal" people. There are prevalent conspiracy theories painting Hispanics in general as anti-American threats.

I am saying that the obvious racism, and sensational lies, at the core of anti-immigrant rhetoric makes it more likely that violence will take place, and makes it easier for authorities to cover it over.

Read the story... after six people brutally beat one victim to death, the police chief went on record saying "this is just a street fight gone bad". And city officials were jumping up to defend the perps.

Don't tell me that this would have happened to a less vulnerable member of their community who wasn't the target of this kind of hatred.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 11:34 am
epbrown,
You are absolutely correct.
This was a viscious, racist crime and I hope the criminals all get the death penalty.

Now, perhaps you can explain why the city of San Francisco allowed a convicted criminal AND an illegal immigrant to roam free in their city, all the while being protected by the local authorities.

That illegal immigrant murdered 3 people with an AK.
Where did he get the gun?
Why did the city protect him from deportation?
Why was he allowed to be free after he had already been convicted twice?

Why dont you seem to be upset by that crime?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 12:23 pm
BBB
An aside to this terrible crime.

Immigrants, legal and illegal, are the millions of people who will save our Social Security and Medicare programs. The payroll taxes they pay will make up for the loss of payroll taxes the retiring Baby Boomers make.

Many of the foes of immigrants and also fanatic about paying taxes.
Those of you who are manic about taxes may want to consider this.

BBB
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 02:26 pm
This crime is not anymore terrible than if the life was taken for no reason at all. I get that the level of premeditation should factor into the punishment, but motive for inflicting bodily harm should not. If you assault or kill someone it should not be less offensive that you were not racially motivated. I have a serious bone to pick with the Supremes for deciding that hate crime law is Constitutional.
0 Replies