Novak's Adventurous Day!

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 11:45 pm
Bob Novak had a big day today, July 23 2008.

Quote:
Novak hits pedestrian with car

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/07/23/novak-hits-pedestrian-with-car/

Hmm, ran a guy down and didn't know it?

More details:

Quote:
Source: Novak's Victim Worse Than First Thought

from ABC 7 News - http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0708/537957.html

The pedestrian who was struck by prominent Washington columnist and commentator Robert Novak is in worse shape than first thought, a hospital source tells ABC 7 News.

The victim, a 66-year-old man, appeared somewhat incoherent, said the source who had seen the victim. The man appeared to have casts on his neck and back. The victim was X-rayed and a surgical team plans to evaluate him, the source said.

In an exclusive interview with ABC 7 News, Novak, 77, said felt "terrible" about striking a pedestrian Wednesday morning while on his way to work in downtown D.C.

Novak spoke to ABC 7 News as he emerged from a police car at the scene. Novak said he did not know he had struck anyone. Novak said he didn't know anything was wrong until a bicyclist rode ahead of him and blocked traffic. The bicyclist, attorney David Bono, informed Novak he had hit a pedestrian.

"I see something of an older gentleman in the crosswalk get hit. The black Corvette convertible take a right turn onto the K Street service road; the pedestrian rolls off to the left and the car speeds away," he said.

Bono dismissed Novak's assertion that he never say the struck pedestrian.

"There was a pedestrian splayed on his windshield -- I don't think there is anyway you can miss that," Bono said.

Bono also said that the pedestrian was in a crosswalk and had the right of way.

According to the witness, Novak took a right turn, struck the pedestrian, who then rolled off to the left. That would be directly in front of the driver's seat.

According to the Politico,

Quote:

Bono said that the pedestrian, who was crossing the street on a "Walk" signal and was in the crosswalk, rolled off the windshield and that Novak then made a right into the service lane of K Street. "This car is speeding away. What's going through my mind is, you just can't hit a pedestrian and drive away," Bono said.

He said he chased Novak half a block down K Street, finally caught up with him and then put his bike in front of the car to block it and called 911. Traffic immediately backed up, horns blaring, until commuters behind Novak backed up so he could pull over.

Bono said that throughout, Novak "keeps trying to get away. He keeps trying to go." He said he vaguely recognized the longtime political reporter and columnist as a news personality but could not precisely place him.

Finally, Bono said, Novak put his head out the window of his car and motioned him over. Bono said he told him that you can't hit a pedestrian and just drive away. He quoted Novak as responding: "I didn't see him there."

A concierge at 1700 K Street said that she saw a bicyclist yelling and walked outside to see what the commotion was about.

"This guy hit somebody and he won't stop so I'm going to stay here until the police come," Aleta Petty quoted Bono as saying, as he stood in K Street, blocking traffic.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11985.html

Hard to believe that he didn't see that he had hit the guy.

Josh Marshall on this topic today:

Quote:
Speed Demon

I've hesitated to touch on this incident with Bob Novak running over a pedestrian and apparently speeding off as though nothing happened. He's a controversial figure and the case is so weird that it's sort of speaks for itself; blogging about something like that is like fishing in a stocked pond -- no sport in it.

But looking at the report of what happened, according to the bicyclist who eventually got Novak to stop, David Bono, Novak hit the guy, a 66 year old man walking in cross walk with a walk signal. He told The Politico "a black Corvette convertible with top closed plows into the guy. The guy is sort of splayed into the windshield."

And Bono didn't think it was credible that Novak didn't realize he'd hit the guy. "There was a pedestrian splayed on his windshield -- I don't think there is anyway you can miss that," Bono said.

Note to that the original report that the victim got off with just some bumps and bruises don't seem to be quite right. According to ABC's DC affiliate WJLA ...

Quote:
The pedestrian who was struck by prominent Washington columnist and commentator Robert Novak is in worse shape than first thought, a hospital source tells ABC 7 News.

The victim, a 66-year-old man, appeared somewhat incoherent, said the source who had seen the victim. The man appeared to have casts on his neck and back. The victim was X-rayed and a surgical team plans to evaluate him, the source said.

Now, Novak says he didn't realize he'd hit anyone. And if that's true it removes a great deal of the moral and potential criminal liability. But it puts in real question whether Novak should be driving a car. If you can be driving through the relatively compact streets of downtown Washington, hit a pedestrian so that he rolls up on to your windshield and then trundles off onto the ground and you don't notice, should you really be driving?

Think about that. For most of us I think having anything make contact with your car while you're in motion is very jarring, as it should be. That's certainly been my experience. And you don't notice when you plow into a guy and he rolls up on your windshield? I don't get that.

--Josh Marshall

That's a very good question.

As for my personal opinion, I think Novak ran the guy down and didn't give a f*ck about it.

From the same Politico link above:

Quote:

In 2001, he cursed at a pedestrian on the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and 13th streets Northwest for allegedly jaywalking.

"'Learn to read the signs, [bodily orifice]!' Novak snapped before speeding away," according to an item in The Washington Post's Reliable Source column.

Novak explained to the paper: "He was crossing on the red light. I really hate jaywalkers. I despise them. Since I don't run the country, all I can do is yell at 'em. The other option is to run 'em over, but as a compassionate conservative, I would never do that."

Two years later, the same column reported that Novak had gone to a racing school in Florida.

"I've wanted to be a racecar driver all my life, and anyone who has watched me drive can tell you that," Novak said.

Guess he's not as compassionate as he used to be.

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 753 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 04:04 am
I'll bet a steak dinner he was talking on his cellphone and looking at something (papers of some kind) instead of the road.

Joe(I'll have the Porterhouse Medium-rare with a horseradish side)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 04:25 am
I believe that Novak is a high function alcoholic and was working off his morning toot. This is consistent with some as shole whose stoned and fails to sense that he hit someone.

That would make a good excuse for the coming lawsuit. I smell "U N D I S C L O S E D S E T T L E M E N T "
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 04:36 am
Ive always pitured him a grosser Mercedes driver, never a Vette. Hes such a John Pollard type.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 04:43 am
Merci merci me!!

He has to drive un Americano autobuss.

Joe(she must)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 04:48 am
Michael, MNichael Pollard, I think.

The guy in Boogey Nights. He looks like Novak's son.

Novak is an old douche bag who should turn in his license and hire some undoc'd immigrant to drive him around in an old Checker Cab then.
Haalf the govt drives Mercedes, weve become such a banana republic.( and I dont mean a place where you can buy all that gay preppy clothing)
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 08:53 am
Since we've strayed from politics, did you see the National Enquirer Story about catching John Edwards with his mistress and love child? This is the same person he denied having a relationship with during the primaries. I guess the NE feels they have something to prove in catching him.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:47 am
Columnist Novak Diagnosed With Brain Tumor
Columnist Novak Diagnosed With Brain Tumor
A & P
Published: July 28, 2008

Conservative political commentator Robert Novak announced Monday he has been diagnosed with a brain tumor, less than a week after he struck a pedestrian with his Corvette and drove away.

Novak, 77, fell ill on Cape Cod this weekend while visiting his daughter and was rushed to Brigham and Women's Hospital, where he said he was diagnosed Sunday with the tumor.

"I will be suspending my journalistic work for an indefinite but, God willing, not too lengthy period," Novak, editor of the Evans-Novak Political Report, said in the statement released by his publisher, Eagle Publishing.

Novak has been a columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times for decades. His assistant, Kathleen Connolly, told the newspaper that doctors had not yet done a biopsy to determine if the tumor was malignant.

She said Novak was alert and talking in the hospital's intensive care unit. Novak's office refused further comment to The Associated Press, other than to confirm the comments on the newspaper Web site.

Hospital spokesman Kevin Myron confirmed Novak was a patient, but said Novak requested that no further information be released.

Last week, Novak was given a $50 citation after he struck a homeless man with his black Corvette in downtown Washington. Novak kept going until he was stopped by a bicyclist, who said the man was splayed on Novak's windshield.

Dr. Lynne Taylor, a neuro-oncologist at Virginia Mason Medical Center in Seattle, said residents at the hospital are taught to check for brain tumors in patients who report having a recent car accident in which they didn't realize they struck something.

"People get spatial and visual neglect of a certain part of their bodies and they don't realize they've done what they've done," said Taylor, a fellow with the American Academy of Neurology.

Novak is best-known as the longtime co-host of CNN's "Crossfire," where he jousted with liberal co-hosts from 1980 to 2005, when he left to join Fox News as an occasional contributor.

"I know Bob will confront this challenge with the same courage with which he has taken on the political establishment in Washington for decades," said House Republican Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio.

Novak was criticized after he was the first to publicly reveal the name of CIA operative Valerie Plame in a 2003 column. His column came out eight days after Plame's husband, Joseph Wilson, said the Bush administration had twisted prewar intelligence to exaggerate the Iraqi threat.

House Republican Whip Roy Blunt, of Missouri, said Novak's record of reporting and commenting on American elections "has never failed to demonstrate keen insight and a peerless political acumen."

"I want to join the many wishing Bob all the best as he confronts this challenge and a speedy recovery as he looks to resume his work," Blunt said in a statement.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 11:17 am
I read some article recently, who knows where, perhaps HuffPo, about people that other newsfolk like or dislike for personal behavior, with comments apparently unrelated re any political agreement - and Novak came out as one of the most liked people on at the personal level.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 11:28 am
First Kennedy and now Novak. This related RF effects from constant cell phone use?.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 11:35 am
Farmerman
farmerman wrote:
First Kennedy and now Novak. This related RF effects from constant cell phone use?.

Good question, Farmerman, for the younger generation who seem to live with cell phones attached to their ears.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 11:37 am
Osso
ossobuco wrote:
I read some article recently, who knows where, perhaps HuffPo, about people that other newsfolk like or dislike for personal behavior, with comments apparently unrelated re any political agreement - and Novak came out as one of the most liked people on at the personal level.

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=119816
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 12:11 pm
I noticed that lab rats develop head trauma when exposed to cell phone frequencies.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 12:17 pm
farmerman wrote:
I noticed that lab rats develop head trauma when exposed to cell phone frequencies.

At very high levels - higher then ever found in actual usage, and with more frequency as well - yeah. Not the best news ever for cel phone users, tho.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 12:22 pm
I can induce head ytrauma to lab rats by beating them with a cell phone.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 12:30 pm
Thanks, BBB. (I hadn't seen your thread, I don't think.)
0 Replies