Jesse Jackson, Barack Obama and the N-Word

Miller

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 10:35 pm
Fox: Jackson used N-word in crude off-air remarks

July 16, 2008

Fox News says the Rev. Jesse Jackson used the N-word during a break in a TV interview where he criticized presidential candidate Barack Obama.

The longtime civil rights leader already came under fire this month for crude off-air comments he made against Obama in what he thought was a private conversation during a taping of a ''Fox & Friends'' news show.

Jackson apologizes for comment about Obama Mitchell: Jackson's explanation, like his comment, is absurd

Now a Fox spokesman says Jackson used the N-word to refer to black people during that taping as he said Obama was talking down to them. Those comments were not aired.

Jackson -- who is traveling in Spain -- apologized in a statement Wednesday for ''hurtful words'' but didn't offer specifics.

The N-word comment was first reported by blog TVNewser. Fox declined to release the transcript.

Chicago Sun Times
AP
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 669 • Replies: 8
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 06:08 am
Are you not familiar with the double standard regarding African Americans and the use of the "N"-word?

When a Black person uses it, it is a statement of love. When a non Black uses it, it is a statement of hate.

So given Obama is a "half breed", how should he interpret the remark? Half love, half hate?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 06:10 am
Something tells me Jackson was not talking about love, when he used the N-word.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 06:15 am
Looks like Jesse doesn't know if he's coming or going!

Quote:
Jesse Jackson Calls For Ban Of N-Word
Get breaking news alerts
CBS 2's Jay Levine and Dorothy Tucker contributed to this report.

LOS ANGELES (CBS) ― Rev. Jesse Jackson is calling for entertainers to stop using the N-word.

He and other leaders held a news conference in Los Angeles Monday, calling for the voluntary ban. The move comes one day after comedian Michael Richards appeared on Jackson's radio show to apologize for his racial rant last week.

As CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports, Jackson is going after TV and film stars, as well as musicians.

Jackson says he plans to meet with TV networks, film companies and musicians to talk about what they can do to stop using the racial slur.

Richards, who played the wacky neighbor on the popular Seinfeld show, was captured on a video cell phone using the N-word after two African Americans heckled him during his comedy routine.

At Monday's news conference, Jackson and others said the insult highlights issues of racial problems in America.

"We will challenge and urge all artists and comics to stop using this word," Jackson said. "What other group is subjected to such a degrading terminology?"

"This is about understanding that this is pervasive, that this happens in all of our institutions in one way or another," said U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters.

But as Chief Correspondent Jay Levine reports, some feel a complete ban is going too far.

"As a comedian, its my job to say it, if they say don't say it, I'm supposed to say it. That's what an artist is supposed to do, break rules," said comedian AaronFreeman.

"I think if something is said in pure spirit of comedy and it's not said hatefully, and it's not said with any hate in your heart when you say it, I don't see where it can never be used again," said radio host and comedian Tony Sculfield.

There's not much debate over the spirit in which Richards used the word, but banning it, Freeman feels will backfire.

"If you've worked this hard to suppress it, you know what anybody with any kind of a beef on anything is going to be throwing it out as a sign of their rebellious individuality. It will be great for my business," Freeman said.

Jackson is also asking the public not to buy a DVD box set of the seventh season of the Seinfeld TV show. The DVD was released last week.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 06:16 am
Notice how "cleverly" Obama's name gets inserted into the title, even though the use of the word is not related to him.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 06:18 am
Miller wrote:
Looks like Jesse doesn't know if he's coming or going!

Quote:
Jesse Jackson Calls For Ban Of N-Word
Get breaking news alerts
CBS 2's Jay Levine and Dorothy Tucker contributed to this report.

LOS ANGELES (CBS) ― Rev. Jesse Jackson is calling for entertainers to stop using the N-word.

He and other leaders held a news conference in Los Angeles Monday, calling for the voluntary ban. The move comes one day after comedian Michael Richards appeared on Jackson's radio show to apologize for his racial rant last week.

As CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports, Jackson is going after TV and film stars, as well as musicians.

Jackson says he plans to meet with TV networks, film companies and musicians to talk about what they can do to stop using the racial slur.

Richards, who played the wacky neighbor on the popular Seinfeld show, was captured on a video cell phone using the N-word after two African Americans heckled him during his comedy routine.

At Monday's news conference, Jackson and others said the insult highlights issues of racial problems in America.

"We will challenge and urge all artists and comics to stop using this word," Jackson said. "What other group is subjected to such a degrading terminology?"

"This is about understanding that this is pervasive, that this happens in all of our institutions in one way or another," said U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters.

But as Chief Correspondent Jay Levine reports, some feel a complete ban is going too far.

"As a comedian, its my job to say it, if they say don't say it, I'm supposed to say it. That's what an artist is supposed to do, break rules," said comedian AaronFreeman.

"I think if something is said in pure spirit of comedy and it's not said hatefully, and it's not said with any hate in your heart when you say it, I don't see where it can never be used again," said radio host and comedian Tony Sculfield.

There's not much debate over the spirit in which Richards used the word, but banning it, Freeman feels will backfire.

"If you've worked this hard to suppress it, you know what anybody with any kind of a beef on anything is going to be throwing it out as a sign of their rebellious individuality. It will be great for my business," Freeman said.

Jackson is also asking the public not to buy a DVD box set of the seventh season of the Seinfeld TV show. The DVD was released last week.

DATE: 11/27/06
cbs2chicago.com
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 06:31 am
Quote:
Jesse Jackson, used the N-Word, Saying "Obama tells N****S how to behave" on Fox

www.nowpublic.com
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 07:40 am
woiyo wrote:
Are you not familiar with the double standard regarding African Americans and the use of the "N"-word?

When a Black person uses it, it is a statement of love. When a non Black uses it, it is a statement of hate.

So given Obama is a "half breed", how should he interpret the remark? Half love, half hate?

Just from my own observations, it seems many older Black individuals do not use the "N" word, because it has for them only the negative meaning of the Jim Crow era. And, Black youth use it; however, I do not understand why they do?

Regardless, does this whole controversy reflect that Jesse Jackson identifies with the Black youth, and therefore used it in their context?

By the way, I have read that the origin of the word Yankee, which is a term of pride for many, was from the Dutch mocking the British in their habit of eating John cheese. Pronounced with a "Y" sound for John, and a "ch" sound for cheese, by the Dutch, the British would pronounce the "J" sound for the "Y" sound, and the "k" sound for the "ch" sound. So, what was once a put-down and mocking reference became a source of pride for New Englanders: Yankee. My point is, words can have an evolving meaning. But, we are probably at a point where the meaning fo the 'N" word hasn't evolved for all, and the controversy exists.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 07:51 am
Foofie wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Just from my own observations, it seems many older Black individuals do not use the "N" word, because it has for them only the negative meaning of the Jim Crow era. And, Black youth use it; however, I do not understand why they do?

Regardless, does this whole controversy reflect that Jesse Jackson identifies with the Black youth, and therefore used it in their context?

By the way, I have read that the origin of the word Yankee, which is a term of pride for many, was from the Dutch mocking the British in their habit of eating John cheese. Pronounced with a "Y" sound for John, and a "ch" sound for cheese, by the Dutch, the British would pronounce the "J" sound for the "Y" sound, and the "k" sound for the "ch" sound. So, what was once a put-down and mocking reference became a source of pride for New Englanders: Yankee. My point is, words can have an evolving meaning. But, we are probably at a point where the meaning fo the 'N" word hasn't evolved for all, and the controversy exists.

The controversy only exists because poeple like Jackson WANT it to exist.
0 Replies