Now supervising my old boss

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 05:36 pm
I work in a sports clothing chain as a weekend supervisor fri evenings and saturdays. my position is under the assistant manager, trainee manager and the store manager and my responsibilities mainly include supervising tills, shop floor staff , floor standards, training and smooth running of the store, replensihin stocks and increasing sales through suggestive selling so its a very hands on role. the thing is the assistant manager who i get along great with has just decided to go back to do a university course and has changed to a staff position on the same days i am working. Im like 18 and have been doing this 5 months, she however is 27 and has many management qualifications and years of experience. Therefore I dont know how to handle the role reversal, should i just leave her to do her own thing and jus get the other younger staff (like most are 16, 17) to do the crappy jobs or should I treat her the same as everyone else? I feel im rubbing her nose in it if i tell her to do stuff all the time like i do the others, and like i said we get on great. Help me deal with this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 946 • Replies: 2
No top replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 08:45 pm
Sammy, I think you are probably making a mountain out of a molehill Exclamation

As a person who has voluntarily abdicated she is the person in the world who has a the very best idea of the troubles and difficulties that you have assumed. She is also likely to be very sympathetic toward your position.

Frankly, being a boss in a competitive operation is a very overrated position. You have my sympathy and most likely hers.

I am a boss. Worse yet I own the company. If I had a boss I'd flip it the bird and just quit. Sad Damn, I wish I had a boss Very Happy
0 Replies

sammy4747

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 01:14 pm
thanks for that i see what you mean and she probably does understand but how should i approach the situation when she starts working under me? to be honest i think shes used to sitting in an office and dont think she will think kindly to being asked to do the mundane tasks of the shop floor and as im going to be her supervisor i feel in a way i should ensure she does her bit.
But as i said i do feel awkward, like she was the one who hired me last year and theres no way she will take me seriously im only in school for god sake so its making me uneasy, its easy when the staff are the same age or younger but hey shes so much older and was my boss , i dont think im making a mountain out of a molehill its a serious issue if people get upset, so just wondering now should i approach her now while shes my manager and discuss boundaies and let her know in advance that i'll need her co-operation on these tasks, really need some opinions on this, thanx.
0 Replies