0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 03:22 am
Broadway Brett...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 06:16 am
<heavy sigh>

I had a few conversations with friends about this yesterday -- people who knew I'm a big GB/ Brett fan and wanted to know what I thought. My basic response was "I love Brett, but I've run out of patience." The saga took some twists and turns that meant no happy ending was possible. Really wish he just hadn't retired at all. I get that he felt pressured and that there is some blame to go around there, and I'm annoyed about that part too. But ultimately it was his decision.

<sighing again>
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 04:45 pm
@sozobe,
time for this week's picks

http://able2know.org/topic/121781-1#post-3384691
sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 04:50 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm abstaining. I shall have nothing to do with NFL football forthwith.

<lays back of hand on forehead, looks tragic>
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 04:54 pm
@sozobe,
errr that seat is already taken

I AM Sarah Bernhardt (in case you hadn't noticed Mr. Green )
sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 04:56 pm
@ehBeth,
So you are! I'd noticed you were lovely but didn't recognize who...
ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:39 pm
@sozobe,
I recognized her but couldn't come up with the name, even having a fine old postcard of her (but not handy to double check her name). So now I remember.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 12:07 pm

after another friggin' flip-flop, brett will be wearin' the purple this year...
http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2009/08/is-favre-on-a-plane-headed-for-minnesota.html
sozobe

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:54 pm
@Region Philbis,
I was on the treadmill. The guy next to me had ESPN on. My friend was one down from him (guy was in between us). I was gazing at the guy's TV in horror when my friend caught my eye and cracked up at my expression.

UGH.

I mean....

....UGH.

I'm pissed.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 12:29 pm

stick a fork in favre, he's done...
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 02:42 pm
@kickycan,
"Brett Favre is Just Another Dumb Jock"? What a sacrilegious statement!
Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 05:50 pm
@wmwcjr,
He may not be edu-ma-cated, but he's hardly dumb. He's a genius at football and managing to keep the focus on him.

I think it's finally for real - this retirement.
wmwcjr

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 07:48 pm
@Ragman,
Greetings. I didn't say he was dumb. I don't know much about him. The point of my comment was -- well, never mind that. I am in agreement with you that "(h)e's a genius at football and managing to keep the focus on him."
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 06:25 am

the viking$ are trying to reel him back in...
Quote:
However, the Vikings reportedly are ready to increase Favre's salary for this season in order to get him to hold off on retirement for another year.

Sources told the Star Tribune that the Vikings have offered to increase Favre's salary to $16 million guaranteed -- $3 million more than he was scheduled to make this season, plus another $4 million in incentives that could potentially pay Favre $20 million total for the 2010 season.
(ESPN.com)
Ragman

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:27 am
@Region Philbis,
Man, this story just gets juicier. I understand the Vike's position as they went a long way with Favre last yr - almost making it into the SB. However, stick a fork in him, he's done. Emotion and rah-rah-rip-their-heads-off-attitude can only get you so far. His ankle and other injuries have taken their toll. Arguably, he'll be considered amongst the Top 5 QBs of all time and a first round Hall of Fame slam-dunk.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 08:47 am
@Ragman,

one possible scenario is he "retires" now, but comes back in december for the stretch run, which gives him a chance to heal up...

R(wouldn't put it passed him)P
Gargamel

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 09:02 am
@Region Philbis,
Assuming the Vikes would still be in contention in December with Jackson at the Helm.

Brett's coming back. And I don't give a ****.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 09:22 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

Hmmm. From what I've read, I believe that Thompson (GM) has more to do with Favre's premature retirement than any media-related narcissism. This is a guy whose entire adult life has revolved around football. He's concerned about playing the game, not glory.

I don't appreciate whatever pressure the front office put on him to retire. But now that he has, I agree with the decision to stick with Rodgers and the future of the team.

Wow. Did I write this? Garg 2010 disagrees completely. Here's what I really think his retirements, unretirements have been about: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-favrerodgers080508
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 01:24 pm
So, Lurch is finally retiring? Even human growth hormone has its limits.
0 Replies