Beautiful = Shallow. Discuss...

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:30 am
As general rule-of-thumb, I've found that attractiveness is directly proportional to shallowness. Anyone agree, or disagree?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,485 • Replies: 117
No top replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:34 am
Sometimes yes/sometimes no!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:43 am
How about this. Most people fall into the middle - not beautiful, not ugly. Some of those middlers speand lots of time and money on looking as beautiful as they can, some don't. Even then, not all the beautiful middlers could be called shallow. And those born stunning, well, they must fall into the same spectrum as the rest of us for braininess.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:11 am
Perhaps another way of putting it is that those who have a high level of attractiveness place more emphasis on the same quality in others.

How many couples do you see where one member is 'a stunner' and the other is 'a minger'? They do exist but not in great numbers (in my experience).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:14 am
As I get older, I see it more often. Priorities sometimes change when you marry as an older person rather than a younger person. And, of course, even if you do marry young and beautiful, one of you may not stay beautiful.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:28 am
Actually, the most shallow people I know are not beautiful. Perhaps they are trying to make up for it with status symbols, etc.

The older I get, the more I realize that beauty has to come from inside. If it doesn't, it won't last. The people who are beautiful at age 50, 60 and 70 are the ones who have worked on their heads and hearts.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:29 am
You are being unfair to shallow people who are not beautiful !! Laughing

Sorry, me is just being silly.... Smile
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:48 am
Gautam - Hello mate, 'tis Graham in disguise.

I've just got sick of having the shiny 'beautiful' people look at me and 'normal-looking' mates like we were dirt because we had the 'wrong' trainers on or the 'wrong' haircuts. These are the model types (or wannabe's) in certain bars in York (and the rest of the world) & they always hang around in gangs of people who look like themselves, whereas my friends are a wide & diverse-looking bunch!

Or maybe I have a chip on my shoulder to rival that of the average Scotsman...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:51 am
So, they're shallow because they don't want to associate with you? Their loss.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:01 am
I sent your post off to every discussion board in Scotland i could find, with a link to the Ordnance web site's map of York and the border region.

We live in a world which continues to place a premium on appearance. This is not completely unreasonable--nature makes us seek a mate, and this is part and parcel of the imperative to reproduce. We are attracted (or repelled) by a person's appearance, and this stimulates some people to seek to present the best appearance they can manage. As well, people always wish to belong, to fit in--and so they seek others who "advertise" their valuation of appearance.

Apart from that, none of us want to drink with a bunch of losers in dungarees, and a worn out jumper under a disreputable anorak . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:02 am
are those shiny 'beautiful' people actually beautiful, or just so shiny that you can't really see them? Truly beautiful (on the outside) people are the same as everybody else on the inside.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:03 am
Yo Graham !!!

I can sooooooooooo empathize with you mate !! And believe it or not, it is even worse in the gay world....

Btw, we are having an A2K LOndon meet on 26th this month - now is yr chance to see the big bad city !! Smile
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:25 am
Setanta wrote:
I sent your post off to every discussion board in Scotland i could find, with a link to the Ordnance web site's map of York and the border region.

On this thread (well, it is my topic!) there is one of those daft old bye-laws still in place in York whereby it is legal to kill a Scotsman using a long-bow as long as he is outside the city walls and you are inside. But only on Sundays. And of course I have my 10,000 men to help.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:29 am
You and your friends are a diverse bunch, huh?

You guys are uglier than a pile of smashed monkey penises, aren't you?
That explains the question.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:29 am
It is probably angry ordinary people like me who, coupled with a damaged mind, end up as serial killers. I'm going home for a lie-down and some herbal tea.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:33 am
Oh dear. Herbal tea and a lie-down. That doesn't sound too beautiful-people-y.

Perhaps a French Martini and a spa pedicure in a vibrating chair would be more appropriate?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:34 am
Grand Duke wrote:
Gautam - Hello mate, 'tis Graham in disguise.

I've just got sick of having the shiny 'beautiful' people look at me and 'normal-looking' mates like we were dirt because we had the 'wrong' trainers on or the 'wrong' haircuts. These are the model types (or wannabe's) in certain bars in York (and the rest of the world) & they always hang around in gangs of people who look like themselves, whereas my friends are a wide & diverse-looking bunch!

Or maybe I have a chip on my shoulder to rival that of the average Scotsman...

You're talking about people obsessed with their appearance and fashion, who exclude others. These people aren't necessarily "beautiful," maybe more swanky. There are many kinds of beauty, and it's silly to assume one's percieved attractiveness would make them less sympathetic or intelligent.
There were some buddhist female monks who had to destroy their beauty, because it was all people would recognize them for. They shaved their heads, burned their faces.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:34 am
Grande Duke, I just stopped going into the pubs.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:38 am
Disagree, as a general rule, Grand Duke. Beautiful people (physically attractive seem much more socially adept and personable than them others. There may not be a perfect inverse corrolation between personable and shallow, but there seems a relationship. I speak of those who are attractive naturally, now, not from devotion to cosmetic remedies, and exclude models and other professionally 'beautiful people.'
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:41 am
My stepdaughter is a lesbian who has a thing for extremely pretty women. If she's not a ten, daughter isn't interested. She gets involved with these gorgeous women and gets her heart ripped out every single time and it's usually a cheating situation, a third person involved. She's so miserable afterwards, cries on my shoulder about it but what can I tell her? You don't want to lump all beautiful people into one category, selfish and shallow, but it happens every single time and I think that my stepdaughter would be happier if she gets over this "gotta be a ten" attitude because tens seem to bring nothing but trouble and heartache.
But, to lump a group together like that is far from fair.
0 Replies