Man Retired for Refusing to Lower the Flag for Helms

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 08:26 am
A supervisor of a state lab was forced to retire after refusing to lower the US and NC flags to honor former Senator Helms after his recent death.

On this particular incident, I can appreciate his stand, but he had a responsibility as a state employee to carry out the Governor's legal orders.

On the practice itself, it seems we fly the flag at half mast for just about anything these days. I can appreciate the tradegy of a mass killing at VT for example, but many people die each week from violence all around the country. Do we fly a flag at half mass for them? How about when a bunch of fire fighters died in a Charleston warehouse fire? How about on an especially bad day in Iraq or Afganistan? My opinion is it should be only the President's call on flying half mast (not governors) and it should be to memorialize true national disasters. The World Trade Center attacks count. Not much else does.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 615 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 08:36 am
This guy deserves our respect. He stood up against bigotry and took the consequences. There is nothing wrong about that.

Jesse Helms represented the worse in America. He was a hate-filled man. But the damage he did was his leadership in first making racism respectable, and then when racism became a bad word, disguising it as "patriotism".

America would have been much better off without Jesse Helms.

And, we are much better off because there are people who refuse to pay respects to symbols of bigotry and hate.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 08:38 am
Jesse Helms is only a bad word in houses I wouldn't visit.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 08:40 am
We be gonna poop on his grave!

http://msp115.photobucket.com/albums/n307/djfrankiefox/fat-black-woman-1.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 08:41 am
he retired rather than be insubordinate. He didnt sacrifice himself , but took his pension early . I heard him on NPR where he sadly stated that , even though he was an employee , he was the lab director and founder of many of the procedures and the new site.

I agree, hes a lesson in integrity. SOmething thats becoming rare in todays civil servants and politicians.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 08:49 am
cjhsa wrote:
Jesse Helms is only a bad word in houses I wouldn't visit.

now there's a relief.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 08:53 am
you shouldnt criticize ceej whenever he makes his stupid comments. Otherwise he will start his whining about how conservatives like him are "picked on". Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 09:01 am
Yeah, right, like AHSA is pro-gun....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 09:11 am
Helms hired James Meredith, the first black to attend the University of Mississippi -- with the assistance of federal troops. By 1989, Meredith's views had come around to those of Helms, not the other way around.

Man, that Meredith must have been a real racist!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 09:23 am
Heard this on NPR last night. Good for him.
0 Replies