A2K London Meet IV

Piffka

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 01:41 pm
Potato segments? Teeheee, yum. Sounds like they've been engineered. I'm translating that as potato wedges, seasoned & roasted.

I'll look at that menu tomorrow when I have Mr.P's computer to play with, thanks ehB. Y'know there are those weekend vacation packages you can get off Yahoo... not too expensive... sometimes they go to London.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 01:50 pm
Actually, it has been the European version of freedom fries, called in England chips.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 02:43 pm
Potato segments are chips?

I thought what I called chips, Brits call crisps,
what I call French-fries, Brits call chips, and
what I call wedges*, Brits call segments.

But, Walter, you say the segments are also chips? Well, what do the Brits call potato wedges?

Please, please -- no freedom fries!

*aka Jo-Jos see -- potato wedges
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 02:55 pm
The Bombay Brasserie menu is incredible and I am only looking at the first list of items already. Hmmm, chili balsamic...

The menu was transferred to Favorites with lightening speed.

Oh, what fun..

edited to improve spelling of balsamic, sheesh.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 04:41 pm
Isn't it gorgeous, ossoB.

piffka - i'm very aware of those weekend flight specials. I used the money I'd saved to do one to buy a new car (well, to fill in the gaps), so the saving will have to start again when I get back from Wisconsin.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 12:25 am
Piff, you are right, and Walter, you are wrong, they were potato wedges....I just couldn't think of the name.
Sometimes we have "skins", you can get them in TGI Fridays, when you have enough money to go in there, but these were definitely wedges, I remember. Seasoned and roasted, as stated. The defence rests.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:23 am
Well, they looked like English chips :wink:
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 03:50 am
Greetings from Poland !!

I see that the menu has indeed generated some interest.
Smile
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:51 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, they looked like English chips :wink:

I forgive you because you are so sweet. Cool <smooch> ...and it is so impressive that you keep up with all these 'merican/Brit slang words.

'Course you want to be sure and NOT call them WEDGIES, which is an entirely different thing. Laughing

There are UK TGIFs? Shocked

Hi Gautam! Yep, lots of interest. I'm still hoping Beth will help me choose something fabulous. (Wish she could be there in person.) Hope Poland is good to you.

I'm nearly giddy with the thought that it's just a few more days....
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:35 am
Piffka wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

There are UK TGIFs? Shocked

And McDonalds, and Wal-Mart, and Holiday Inns, and and and...

In fact, London looks just like Chicago. :wink:
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:52 am
This is not a good thing... oh, NOT a Wal-Mart!

My little town is one of the few that successfully kept them out:

http://www.harbornet.com/pna/WalMart/WeWon.htm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 11:04 am
My little town too, piff!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:59 pm
We are two little towns
Who have scoffed at WalMart.
Baaa....baaaaa....baaaaaaad.

We are little fishing villages,
Who kept our little home-owned shops.
Yeah....yeah.......yeaaaaaah.

Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:19 pm
yay, yay, yay, yay.

I don't absolutely mind Walmart being somewhere. But here, it was taking the primo land in the whole town, and got knocked down.

Before I moved here, a mall did, essentially killing the downtown, that is, the downtown where mybus/ptnr and I have our office/gallery. The mall has been, until a few months ago, one of the worst malls I have ever seen.
Very low end, very very boring...still, with movies and a grocery, and a Ross, it killed downtown.

After all this time, downtown is picking up, and the mall has a new Bed Bath and Beyond, plus a Borders.

By this time, I am glad to see them, there have been no regular bookstores here. Much less a place for just that right plastic item, except KMart.

Long may Europe fight against this stuff.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 01:19 am
The nearest WalMart to me is on the ring road (intermediate ring) of the city of Manchester.
So it's not doing too much harm there.
I think they buy their way in by promising to do road junction and landscaping improvements (yes, the opposite of despoiling nice land) and so the city fathers go for it. With a lot of derelict land around a post-industrial city like ours, we've got to be grateful for any improvements and investments, almost.
I've been there shopping once: it was okay, and very big. Cheap, and cheerful. There was no local shopping to spoil before they came. But I suppose this is a special case, quite unlike yours.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 07:14 am
I'm surprised you didn't have any local shopping, McTag. At least, the ring road is defintely a better place for that store than a small town. The UK may be able to keep them controlled.

Call me starry-eyed, but I don't like to see my country homogenized by giant corporations. It is worse when it happens internationally. Great to be an investor in WMT, 'course.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 03:17 pm
Amen to that, Piff

Here in Urp, there is a constant battle (esp. with French hypermarkets) against large stores on the fringes sucking the life out of the towns.

I think, luckily (maybe more by good luck than good judgement, although we have fairly rigid planning policies to attempt to control this) that around this city and its larger conurbation we have a reasonable balance and a fairly good shopping choice. Speaking as a mere male, of course.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 09:37 pm
Well, that would limit your ability to comprehend the shopping scene, of course. Very Happy

I've admired the way the UK seems to be able to keep a nice balance between the urban and the rural areas. You don't have so many of the suburbs and the "Miracle Miles" that we have in the states. The best thing about the UK is that someone in power has long believed (and rightly) that people want to go on walks away from cars and have a right to do so. There are such great established walking areas. Here it is awful -- totally unplanned & most trails, even historic ones, are liable to be sold & developed, effectively being closed off. Makes me just grit my teeth! I'm not a complete believer in land as personal property. At least, I wish there were more true public land. I love what happened in Scotland last Spring, when the private lands were opened up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 09:52 pm
Piffka, we agree a lot, generally, but here we agree for sure.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:12 am
Right again, Piff.

In the UK, the National Trust (q.v.) which is the owner of many fine historic buildings, was originally set up to own land, and keep beautiful and important tracts of land out of private (i.e. developers') hands. And coastline, and mountains.

Also see, anyone who is interested, The Ramblers Association.
0 Replies