I'm so hungry right now I could eat boondoks on toat
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 12:19 pm
see what hunger does for spelling?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 12:37 pm
Hey, the Bombay Palace was an excellent choice - by Gautam. It also gave me a chance to walk a bit with McTag and Fiona on our way to the underground. Them's all good memories.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 01:51 pm
Gautam wrote:
Piffka, The reason I am keeping it early is that I have a very early morning flight to Prague the next day (Weekend in Prague - does it get any better than that <SIGH>)

Super G

Oh, really??? On again???? Tell!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 04:59 pm
I've not visited this site yet, how remiss of me.

(Well, it beats 'bookmark' for an entry)

Goan dishes- as in, "Goan, have some more!"?

Doorbell avatar. Ding dong, Avon calling. No, Thames. I'll barge in.

I'll get me coat.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 06:15 pm
http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?r=2&q=boonies

Didn't mean to be so off-the-wall, Steve. When I said "Boonies on the Thames," I meant I picked a hotel further from the middle of town than I meant to do. Thanks, Beth, I never realized it was from a Tagalog word.

It's common slang here in the west where there are lots of boondocks. There's also a daily comic strip in all but the most conservative papers.

http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/2003/09/10/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:10 pm
Confused
Goan, as in from Goa. The food from Goa is particularly interesting, I think, because of the Portuguese influence. Seeing a menu with Goan selections is usually a sign of some sophistication in the menu designer/ chef.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:13 pm
piffka, i thought it was fascinating that boondocks had a Tagalog origin, and that it's only been used in English for about 100 years.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 02:20 am
ehBeth wrote:
Confused
Goan, as in from Goa. The food from Goa is particularly interesting, I think, because of the Portuguese influence. Seeing a menu with Goan selections is usually a sign of some sophistication in the menu designer/ chef.

Thanks, ehBeth. Sorry to be so obscure. Just my little, very little, joke.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 02:58 am
Very Happy Funny McTag

I was thinking on the lines "Goan, betcha can't eat it all"

Great minds think alike, fools never differ.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 03:09 am
Glad, I didn't add anything Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 04:21 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Confused
Seeing a menu with Goan selections is usually a sign of some sophistication in the menu designer/ chef.

And a sign the guy who picked out the restaurant is smooth, doncha think?

Tagalog is a strange language, my brother's wife speaks it, having grown up in Manila. Can't wait to ask her about Boonduk Mountain.

Goan you guys -- you're so full of wit! Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 07:23 pm
As I recall, piffka, boonduk is Tagalog for mountain.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 03:24 am
Until this thread, I had never heard of Tagalog.

Sure 'ppricate it, obliged to ye.

My own language. Sweet.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:36 am
That's kinda neat, McTag. I kinda thought everyone knew about Tagalog. I was at a Pilipino restaurant on Thursday night - I was one of 2 people in the restaurant not speaking Tagalog. It's very different to listen to. I can't even imagine trying to learn it - it is soooooo different to anything else I've ever heard.

So, back to the divine restaurant Gautam has selected. I am pea-green with envy. Pea-green.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:42 am
Dang, I thought sure I'd put a post in here. McTag -- since you're being introduced to Tagalog, you should know it is not pronounced like a strange children's game... it is Tuh GOLL ugh, said quickly, which seems to be the way all of it is spoken. My brother has learned a little bit of Tagalog, mostly rude (he thinks) and mostly his wife just laughs at him.

So Beth, what do you think I should order? I thought that menu was just a sample and didn't include everything. Would look again, but can't multi-task this stupid machine.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:57 am
piffka, Gautam's original link just had a sample menu. I was intrigued, so went and found the restaurant's site -

http://www.bombaybrasserielondon.com

and clicked on menu, and started swooning.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 12:21 pm
I know I'm being excessively dim here but to save me scrolling back through several pages - which takes ages on this machine - what exactly is

Tagalog

I might have the corect pronounciation, but what is it ....answers please in no more than 20 words so I might be able to easily digest Digest food for thought thinking of eating you bet bye
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 12:23 pm
Tagalog is a language of the Philippines.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 01:30 pm
ehBeth wrote:
piffka, Gautam's original link just had a sample menu. I was intrigued, so went and found the restaurant's site and clicked on menu, and started swooning.

Oh yes, I can confirm, it's a very fine restaurant with an extensive and thoughtful menu. So much so, that I was kind of regretting eating a pile of potato segments and sour cream in the Cheshire Cheese pub before we went.....but Gautam should have known, I can't go 90 minutes without food of some sort. Two hours, maximum. Wink
0 Replies