Should you provide salary info to potential employers?

DrewDad

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 12:54 pm
Especially when they don't advertise the salary range of the position?

Kinda chaps my ass.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 651 • Replies: 7
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 01:29 pm
You mean if they ask you to fill out an application and include that info? Yeah, I like to leave it blank.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 01:52 pm
Why the hell don't potential employers list a salary range?

I mean, they know what they want to pay, range wise. They know what they'd pay for a superstar as compared to average.

If you know you're worth the top figure, or more, you're going to have time to negotiate. If they love you and have to have you, they're going to go up a little higher.

In fact, if I was hiring someone, I put the range where the low figure is somewhat lower than I would really pay. That way, if I end up hiring someone without the experience, but has the potential, I'd make the candidate happy he was worth more than the minimum.

I've never been able to figure out what the advantage of all this secrecy was. If you're at a level where negotiation is going to happen anyway, you know the range was just a suggestion. If you're at a mid-level, you really don't want to waste your time applying for something lower than you'd accept. If you're low level, seeing the salary range will let you know this is beyond your talents right now.

As far as your first question DD, I wouldn't put my salary down either.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 02:26 pm
In the west coast aerospace industry, it was common practice to advertise for a position for the sole reason of finding out what their competitors were paying. I do not believe they should be askin, nor should you be answering.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 02:33 pm
I've seen ads that say if you don't submit your current salary and/or your desired, they will not contact you.

That's total bullshit.

You know, not everyone is this expert negotiator, like Bill Shatner or something.

A lot of people want to spend their energies looking for some place they will enjoy working rather than go through all the mental masturbation of wondering if you over/under sold yourself.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 02:34 pm
Chai wrote:
I've seen ads that say if you don't submit your current salary and/or your desired, they will not contact you.

I'd say it's definitely indicative of what the corporate culture would be like.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 02:41 pm
oh yeah, fer sure dude, I like couldn't deal with the hassel.

you hasslin' me man?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 05:31 pm
If really pressed, give a range only, or say the figure is plus benefits which they will extrapolate to almost any possible number.

And I agree, it is indicative of corporate culture and it does not say anything nice about it.
0 Replies