Fox edits pictures to make subjects appear "sinister"

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 06:09 am
Fox and Friends aired a piece about a couple of NY Times reports and showed pictures of them that have been clearly edited to make them look worse. This is probably the next step from the Time Mag picture of OJ Simpson where they darkened it to make him look more sinister. Is this fair game in the new, polarized "news" world?

Links: Editor and Publisher
Media Matters (with photos)
OJ Simpson Article
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 891 • Replies: 6
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 06:55 am
that has been going on for a LOOOOOONG time.
this is not new news at all.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 07:01 am
I thought the degree of editing in this case to be extreme. Exaggerating the receding hairline, expanding the size of the chin, yellowing the teeth in both pictures, etc. Editing to drop weight on celebrety shots is pretty common. Changing lighting levels is something I do at home. But distorting facial features for the worse? Seems beyond the pale.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 07:04 am
Nope. It really isnt.

There is a reason why celebrities are allowed to sue companies like national enquiror for millions.

A lot of times editors ADD things to them as well.
Bigger bellies to fuel a pregnancy rumor

remove hair to make them look bad 'out of costume'

adding wrinkles and removing teeth to make them look bad

editing people into or out of photos.

No. this has been going on for a LONG time. Someone just got caught is all Wink
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 07:10 am
engineer wrote:
I thought the degree of editing in this case to be extreme. Exaggerating the receding hairline, expanding the size of the chin, yellowing the teeth in both pictures, etc. Editing to drop weight on celebrety shots is pretty common. Changing lighting levels is something I do at home. But distorting facial features for the worse? Seems beyond the pale.

I think the skill of the editing is deplorable. I have a hard time believing that anyone thought these were accurate photos.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 07:26 am
DrewDad wrote:
engineer wrote:

I think the skill of the editing is deplorable. I have a hard time believing that anyone thought these were accurate photos.

For real.

That was my exact thought too.

Shewolf probably puked just looking at them. Laughing
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 07:31 am
DrewDad wrote:
engineer wrote:

Fox here. Consider the audience. Cool
0 Replies