In Defense of Chopped Liver

hamburger

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 10:21 am
thomas wrote :

Quote:
Kosher beer? Maybe I'm just prejudiced and narrowminded, but somehow this sounds very, very wrong to me. And no, they didn't offer any in this particular deli.

i'd think that kosher beer should be quite acceptable - haven't had any myself .

Quote:
A new kosher beer called "Simcha" launched in Germany.
"Simcha" is a new kosher beer that recently launched in Germany. The brewery in Hartmannsdorf makes around 10,000 bottles of the beer a day. If the beer becomes popular, they have plans to expand their market throughout Europe. The light pilsner is 4.6% alcohol, and is a mix between the American style pilsner and the traditional pilsner.

The beer is "kosher" because the entire harvesting and processing methods are under control of a Rabbi. There are no additives, and there are strict requirements for cleanliness in place which are closely supervised.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 10:29 am
What is going on here? Have I stumbled across a wandering band of actors about to break out in songs from Fiddler on the Roof?

By the way, in my opinion, generations of Jewish husbands may have died of early coronary heart disease by enjoying fried latkes (potato pancakes) and schmaltz (chicken fat) as a substitute for butter (amongst other ethnic staples).

A ham and cheese on whitebread, with lettuce and tomato and a little mayo is healthier, I believe. Also a daily vitamin and mineral pill is not in the Talmud, but that too is good for one's health, Jew or Gentile.

Stop already with the shtick! This blatant reverse assimilation is getting me nervous.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 10:41 am
foofie wrote :

Quote:
By the way, in my opinion, generations of Jewish husbands may have died of early coronary heart disease by enjoying fried latkes (potato pancakes)

i've eaten my share of potato pancakes over the years .. my mother used to fry them in lard (mmm , good) ... mrs h uses mazola oil ...
i'm still hanging in and i'm glad i've had my fair share of latkes .

"white bread" Shocked i'm not so sure of :wink: - perhaps with "kraft singles" and pre-packaged ham Rolling Eyes
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 06:02 pm
a little more CHOPPED LIVER :

Quote:
It came from the old stand-up comedy routines that were developed by Jewish comedians in the Catskills Mountains Resorts. In those days, Jewish families would always spend their summers in the Catskills to escape the horrible heat of New York. The young entertainers would work as food service and other domestics, while they honed their talents. . During those years, Sid Caesar, Alan King, Morey Amsterdam, Jack Carter, Buddy Hackett, Sam Levenson, Jackie Mason, Jan Murray, and Joey Bishop (among others) became household fixtures.

chopped liver was an unpopular side dish, therefore, in a joke, a person who is feeling left out says "What am I then...chopped liver?" and everyone laughs

sure had some nice chopped liver at grossinger's in the catskills :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 12:46 am
Chopped liver is nothing to sneeze at!

I love kosher deli's. What I miss going to Joan and Ed's Deli in Natick, MA, and getting their famous corned beef Reuben sandwiches. Ending with a slice of their wonderful New York style Cheesecake.

http://www.jedeli.com/files/QuickSiteImages/DELI_TAKEOUT.pdf

And Thomas, when I get a job, I'll get you some chopped liver from the world's famous Katz's Delicatessen on E. Houston St.
http://i36.tinypic.com/1zc49j.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 09:18 pm
We have a great NY style Jewish deli here too - D.Z. Akin's - been around
forever. Great food and lots of it. One can harldy finish a plate...
http://dzakinsdeli.com/menu/lunchanddinner.htm

spendius

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 09:07 am
@CalamityJane,
No doubt you do your best Cal.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 09:21 am
@spendius,
Always, spendius!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 10:23 am
Over in my neck of the woods, there aren't enough people who know about, let alone appreciate, the joys of chopped liver. There is a place near the Tampa airport that is an eclectic deli.

http://www.toojays.com/menusnew/

It has stuff that would not be caught dead in a "real" N.Y. kosher deli, but if one wades thru the menu, one finds some real gems.

Mr. P & I will take the 45 minute trip just to have the chopped liver, matzo ball soup and corned beef. We take along a cooler, and bring a lot of the stuff home.

I never cared for Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray, but I love their cream soda.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 10:32 am
I have never looked into this thread before. The reason should be obvious. Chopped liver, no matter how it is served, is indefensible.
spendius

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 12:19 pm
@Setanta,
I bet chopped liver is in lots of stuff you might not think it is. It's good protein.

Chopped lung too. And rectums.

It all goes down, around and around, and what no use gets **** out at the other end. Which was, maybe still is, a club in Greenwich Village. Dylan played there in his begging days.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 07:05 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I have never looked into this thread before. The reason should be obvious. Chopped liver, no matter how it is served, is indefensible.

Indefensible, perhaps, to a goy.
ebrown p

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 07:12 am
@Setanta,
I agree with Setanta (occasionally)

Liver is not a food... it is a punishment.
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 07:21 am
@ebrown p,
ebrownp- There is liver, and there is chopped liver, which to the palate, seems like an entirely different food. Anyhow, good chopped liver is made from chicken livers, not the broiled beef liver that you get with onions and/or bacon.

BTW, I like both chopped chicken livers, and broiled liver, although it is not great for my cholesterol count!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 07:33 am
@ebrown p,
I can see why you'd find it gross. I think it's one of the best foods on the planet. I love liver and onions, although, I confess, if I were going on a first date with some guy I really liked, I would not order this. It's too gross.

I used to waitress in a french restarant and their specialty was chicken livers-- dredged in flour and cooked with all kinds of liquor. It was great stuff.

My Jew grandma used to boast there was " not an ounce of fat added" to her chopped liver. Because she had such a sunny disposition, no one ever argued how much fat there was in the liver itself.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 07:34 am
@Gala,
A goy or a birl, it makes no difference . . .
Gala

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 07:41 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
A goy or a birl, it makes no difference . . .

A goy, a birl, a shiksa, it makes a huge difference. You goyum think Miracle Whip is a fine food product and yet you spit on chopped liver?
Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 07:43 am
@Gala,
Watch yer mouth . . . mayonnaise, and the only mayonnaise is Hellman's . . . of course, just to piss people off, i will go into aJewish deli, order pastrami, and ask for it on white bread with mayonnaise . . . hehehehehehehe . . . sometimes i'm a bad man . . .
dyslexia

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 07:47 am
@Gala,
Quote:
Miracle Whip is a fine food product
No one higher than a cabbage on the food chain thinks miracle whip is a food product let alone a FINE food product.
Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 07:49 am
@Gala,
Quote:
You goyum think Miracle Whip is a fine food product . . .

The word is goyim . . .

This coming from someone who thinks Velveeta is cheese . . .